PDA

View Full Version : Opinions of Hafco WL-46 Wood Lathe

Zedicus
18th May 2010, 02:25 PM
Hello,

I am in the market for a wood lathe. I haven't done any turning in years so am way out of touch in regard to lathes. I am hoping some of you may be able to help me out in regard to the Hafco WL-46.

If I had the money handy I would definately buy a Vicmarc or Woodfast. I know that these sought of questions are often asked on the forum and so I have done a search. There is some info in regard to this particular lathe but I am after more.

I am hoping that there may be someone (anyone) out there who have had personal experience. If so, I would greatly appreciate any info, good and bad, to help me decide on what to buy.

Thanks in advance.

hughie
18th May 2010, 09:56 PM
Well its what many of us started with and at $390 its not a bad buy and good entry lathe. Sure its got faults, but for that sort of money on a new lathe its hard to beat

There are several threads on the forum on how to improve the Hafco WL-46. and bring it up to scratch with other more expensive lathes.

Alternately you could look at a second hand lathe, via the local club or Ebay etc.

Big Shed
18th May 2010, 10:05 PM
A WL-46 (https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/Products?stockCode=W387) for $390? Go for it, that is a steal!

Somehow I think there is some confusion here, WL-18 (https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/Products?stockCode=W382) perhaps hughie? Even that is $390+GST

There are a few threads on the WL-46, a search will find them.

FWIW I have one and I think it is a great lathe and would buy it again.

http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/wood-lathe-18-x-47-a-108063/

http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/changing-guard-115302/

Zedicus
29th May 2010, 09:27 AM
Thankyou both for your response and my apologies for not being able to do likewise straight awayffice:office" /><O:p></O:p>
<O:p> </O:p>
Hughie, the WL-46 retails for about $1600 so I think there is some confusion here. I would definitely buy the WL-46 if it was at that price<O:p></O:p>
Big Shed, thanks for putting me onto those threads. The changing of the guard is a good one<O:p></O:p>
I realise a lot of what is said about the different lathes comes down to personal opinion and I still haven't been able to decide on which lathe to buy. I am also looking at the Woodfast M910. It is quite a bit of extra money though and don't know if it can be justified. I don't see the height and belt changing as a problem. I am after a lathe which I will have for years to come. I don't know if the WL-46 will live up to that<O:p></O:p>
I might have a look see what people think of the M910<O:p></O:p>
Thanks again

Bazza
29th May 2010, 10:22 AM
See if you can contact Ian MacRiald in Darwin 08 8947 4539.
Ian has his own wood turning business, and ran an informal wood turning club, he also did wood tuning courses or he did when I lived there. He might be able to help.

Barry

Zedicus
29th May 2010, 11:31 AM
Thanks Barry.
I will give him a call. I had planned to see if there is any clubs up here but now I have direction to take.

Thanks again, greatly appreciated.

hughie
29th May 2010, 06:45 PM
Hughie, the WL-46 retails for about $1600 so I think there is some confusion here. I would definitely buy the WL-46 if it was at that price<o>:p></o>:p>
<o>></o>

oops sorry about that, dunno what happened :doh:
But looking at the WL-46 on the floor at H&F Its a sound machine and with 1500 watts of power its got some grunt. Along with a decent swing

Anything else you look at in a similar field will be more expensive, looks fine but would like to give it a spin.

Hare & Forbes will most likely be at the wood show this year if you can delay it some. Then you could see it in action.

issatree
29th May 2010, 08:34 PM
Hi Zedicus,
I wasn't sure which 1 it was. So I Googled it , & they state that the price is $1450.
So where did the $1600 come from, or is it a couple of Hundred to transport it.
I have a friend, & he has the Jet Lathe, very similar to the 1 you are looking at.
His runs as sweet as pie.
So at which ever price, I would say go for it.
You've got V/S & all, could not be better.
So for big work, you just slide the Headstock to the end, lock it off, but you need to make a 3 legged ( tripod) for the tool rest.
Might have to check the the Thread Size.
That's my 2 penneth worth.
Regards,
issatree.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Zedicus
29th May 2010, 09:58 PM
Thanks for your comments issatree. I said about $1600 as I new that was pretty close to the mark and I wasn't 100% what it was. The $1450 price is before GST. With GST it is $1595. But then I do have to put a couple hundred more on for freight unfortunately. Also, while the jet lathe looks similar (JWL-1642), I'm not so sure that they are a good comparison. I believe the Jet lathes are finished to a higher level of quality and they have different specs. Maybe it is just the brand name, but the Jet retails for around twice the price of the WL-46. Maybe I should be looking at the Jet lathe as well? As I have mentioned previously, I am looking for a lathe to last for years. I believe that you get what you pay for and so am unsure of the quality of the WL-46 and it's ability to last for years without to many dramas.

No worries hughie. It happens. I would love to make it to any wood show but probably won't be able to. Not with work and being in Darwin. I might have to move down south closer to where the action is.

hughie
30th May 2010, 08:22 PM
No worries hughie. It happens. I would love to make it to any wood show but probably won't be able to. Not with work and being in Darwin. I might have to move down south closer to where the action is.

Well theres couple of turners living up your way and members of this forum. Darwin has some interesting timber. Have a look at your local green dump, you might need a few tinnes to keep the manager happy tho'.

WOODbTURNER
30th May 2010, 09:41 PM
Zedicus,

Good to hear about another woodturner in Darwin.
Please get into contact with Ian MacRaild in Darwin re the WL-46. A student of his bought one and he will tell you some important info about it.

Cheers

Soren
1st June 2010, 03:53 PM
Just got my WL-46 early May, upgraded from a WL-20, and there is no comparison. Like going from a Morris 1100 to a Farrari.
A little hunting at low revs, but everything lines up, and to play on this lathe is a joy.:2tsup:

When you make your own handwheel, make sure your fingers can pass between the wheel and the motor. DAMHIK.

Zedicus
2nd June 2010, 05:03 PM
Thanks to you all for your feedback. After quite a bit of deliberation I have actually decided to go with the Woodfast M910.
Now I just have to remember how to use a lathe. I am going to get some lessons off of Ian MacRaild sometime in the future.
This certainly is a good forum. I am still learning to use it (I don’t get to all that often) but I will get the hang of it I’m sure.
Thanks again.