PDA

View Full Version : Please instpect my stool too.

tea lady
19th May 2010, 07:02 PM
I turned a big stool out of a log of "eucalypt" at 's on Tuesday. He is away at the moment, and I got the OK from him to do this. So I made this one all by myself. :cool2: Wanted it to look like a pile of squashy pillows. Whadayareckon? Its still in the lathe cos I want to wax it next week.:) Its got shellac on it at the moment. My theory was that cos its furniture rather than object shellac and trad wax would be a more robust finish. :shrug: Its about 320mm diam. and 400mm high.

Me and it.:cool:

Undernieth side. I put a foot ring cos I think less contact with the floor is better.

Close up.

It goes this way up, if you can imagine.:cool:

watson
19th May 2010, 07:13 PM
Well I like it. :2tsup:

Heavy??

Sebastiaan56
19th May 2010, 07:15 PM
Nice stool,

a pouffe, or do you have more ambitions for it? I see it in front of the tele with a port and fluffy slippers....

tea lady
19th May 2010, 07:23 PM
Nice stool,

a pouffe, or do you have more ambitions for it? I see it in front of the tele with a port and fluffy slippers....That's about it.:cool:. Toying with selling it, but I can't sell my first one. :saddest: So port and fluffy slippers it will have to be.:D

tea lady
19th May 2010, 07:25 PM
Well I like it. :2tsup:

Heavy??Yep! B(*@*^# heavy. I can't carry it very far.:rolleyes:

mic-d
19th May 2010, 07:32 PM
Toying with selling it, but I can't sell my first one.

Keep it as your stool sample.

Interesting :think:

Cheers
Michael

tea lady
19th May 2010, 07:33 PM
Keep it as your stool sample.

Interesting :hmm:

Cheers
Michael:2tsup: :rolleyes:

Groggy
19th May 2010, 07:39 PM
That would make a heck of a turned box!

How long to make it?

Woodwould
19th May 2010, 07:45 PM
Did you make the Michelin Man too?

tea lady
19th May 2010, 08:00 PM
That would make a heck of a turned box!

How long to make it?Took me all day. :rolleyes: Prolly about 5 hours. I can't go at it with such big cuts as , and I sand things a bit more thoroughly.(Oh Gauwd! He'll get me for that.:C )

Did you make the Michelin Man too?That is my naxt project.:p

mkypenturner
19th May 2010, 08:18 PM
Yep! B(*@*^# heavy. I can't carry it very far.:rolleyes:
tea lady just dont go walking in that room without a light on or you may get a bad suprise :p
troy

artme
19th May 2010, 08:22 PM
:2tsup: A concave bottom is a good idea,solves most balance problems. Good job!

Should have knocked the rough shape out with a chainsaw. Then you could have made two - one to sell.:rolleyes:

powderpost
19th May 2010, 08:53 PM
An ambitious project, and well done... :2tsup:
Jim

Allan at Wallan
19th May 2010, 09:06 PM
Now turn a ladder so you can get up on it.:D

Allan

springwater
19th May 2010, 09:43 PM
Wel...it could do with some verve :rolleyes: Looks like tough work tea lady, you sure that's good for your hands/wrists in the long run :? Not that I think your "blousy" or anything :- Thinking sesame seed bun too:runaway:

TTIT
19th May 2010, 10:27 PM
Was sure it was gonna be one of those 3 legged dairy stools - didn't expect a solid timber replica of an air-bag :o:o:o
has obviously quelled any reservations you might have had about whoppin' great lumps of hardwood spinning at undie-filling speeds :U Top job TL :2tsup:

Cliff Rogers
19th May 2010, 10:33 PM
I was worried about what I was going to find. :D

Claw Hama
19th May 2010, 11:08 PM
:2tsup:Cool stool TL, looks soft and comfy even if it isn't, nice work.:U

tea lady
19th May 2010, 11:42 PM
Wel...it could do with some verve Looks like tough work tea lady, you sure that's good for your hands/wrists in the long run Not that I think your "blousy" or anything :- Thinking sesame seed bun too:runaway: Hands and wrists are OK! Better than pottery would you believe.:rolleyes: (You're not suggesting it looks liek a hamburger? :slap: ) Some verve ? :think:

Was sure it was gonna be one of those 3 legged dairy stools - didn't expect a solid timber replica of an air-bag
has obviously quelled any reservations you might have had about whoppin' great lumps of hardwood spinning at undie-filling speeds Top job TL :2tsup:Yeah! My perspective has gone right out the wondow. Other people at Knox Woodworkers Say "look at my big bowl" And I ask "where is it? ". :doh::rolleyes:

Cool stool TL, looks soft and comfy even if it isn't, nice work.Thanks! :cool: That was the effect I was after.:U

Calm
19th May 2010, 11:49 PM
bugger the seat - who took the photo if is away??:roll::?

cheers

Christos
20th May 2010, 01:17 AM
Nice.

springwater
20th May 2010, 08:23 PM
:slap:...Yeeeoach...the old verving left hook :wacko:

tea lady
21st May 2010, 12:40 AM
:slap:...Yeeeoach...the old verving left hook :wacko:The :slap: was for the hamburger comment. :p

Seriously, what do you mean "more verve"? More extreme "squish" effect? More colour? What? :C

springwater
21st May 2010, 03:03 AM
The :slap: was for the hamburger comment. :p

Seriously, what do you mean "more verve"? More extreme "squish" effect? More colour? What? :C

Seriously, I can't explain it...no intention to offend. As close as I can get at the moment is it's like knowing when a singer is singing with feeling and I've no doubt you have a better voice than me. I'm probably using the word verve a bit differently than its definition, I sort of just like the way it sounds.:flowers2:

Grumpy John
21st May 2010, 06:39 AM
Well done TL. That's gunna hurt if you stub your toe on it in the dark.

mic-d
21st May 2010, 09:42 AM
Seriously, I can't explain it...no intention to offend. As close as I can get at the moment is it's like knowing when a singer is singing with feeling and I've no doubt you have a better voice than me. I'm probably using the word verve a bit differently than its definition, I sort of just like the way it sounds.:flowers2:
I sort of agree with Springwater and no intention to offend either:peace2:. My 'verve' would be some texture to the marshmallow such a script like in these prayer wheels:
File:Swayambhunath prayer wheels.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Swayambhunath_prayer_wheels.jpg)

Or a Celtic carving wrap around... etc etc. I know that's a lot of extra work, but it could also be a single wavy slot around one of the pillows with a dot in each trough (sort of Australian Aboriginal ish) Maybe some of these patterns for eg.:
http://www.didgeswedoo.com.au/photo/aboriginal-dreamtime2.gif

(:flowers2: from me too)

Cheers
Michael

Allen Neighbors
21st May 2010, 11:36 AM
Nice work, TL!
Suggestions for the big box.... hollow it from the bottom, insert a false bottom, cut off the top "pillow", and hollow it for the lid. It'd sure make it lighter... that is, 'if' it's too heavy for ya.
Still, just like it is, it'd be nice to have in the living area to just roll around where you want it.
I like it. :)

Ed Reiss
21st May 2010, 11:56 AM
Yep! B(*@*^# heavy. I can't carry it very far.:rolleyes:

you mean that it's not hollow??????:doh:

rsser
21st May 2010, 12:16 PM
That would've been a challenging piece TL. Well done.

When you scale up the existing muscle memory doesn't work, so there has to be a lot of thought and checking.

I think of every new shape/new scale piece as a prototype.

NeilS
21st May 2010, 03:56 PM
Serious bit of spindle turning there TL.

I'm not sure what it is with women woodworkers and the very solid wooden stools they make.... one of the members of the Japanese Hand Tools forum has been doing her own versions, here (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f111/need-help-mortise-76412/index5.html#post809394).

tea lady
21st May 2010, 05:40 PM
Nice work, TL!
Suggestions for the big box.... hollow it from the bottom, insert a false bottom, cut off the top "pillow", and hollow it for the lid. It'd sure make it lighter... that is, 'if' it's too heavy for ya.
Still, just like it is, it'd be nice to have in the living area to just roll around where you want it.
I like it. :)

Serious bit of spindle turning there TL.

I'm not sure what it is with women woodworkers and the very solid wooden stools they make.... one of the members of the Japanese Hand Tools forum has been doing her own versions, here (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f111/need-help-mortise-76412/index5.html#post809394).

.....Those stools do look very interesting. The log that this one is turned out of will split as it dries more too and I've been pondering butterfly keys as a way to stop it completely falling apart.

It also occurred to me today that I could turn each "pillow" layer separately in layers (cross grain instead of end grain.) and fix then together. The middle ones could then just be rings, to make the whole thing slightly hollowed and lighter.:think: Although in a way having it so heavy stops it falling over. Ain't no one gonna push these babies over.:D

:think: I know someone with lots of slabs of cedar too.:cool: And other interesting wood.:U