PDA

View Full Version : Veneering question.

himzol
23rd September 2004, 10:02 AM
Hi Folks,

Arrons thread on thicknessing thin stock got me thinking, I actually haven't done any veneering since I left high school. Seeing as I have had a long time since then to forget I was wondering if people could point me in the direction of a good book on the subject. I do remember what I made though - a salad spoon and fork.

The main things I cant remember are whether alternate boards(sheets) have to be turned in the opposite direction along the same lines as ply wood, or if keeping them oriented the same way is ok.
Like Arron I would like to put a curved front on a hall table and would rather get the bend using a veneer rather than cut it from a single piece of timber.

Himzo.

joez
23rd September 2004, 10:17 AM
himzol, for a good book on veneering checkout "The Veneering Book" by David Shath Square.

It cover some basics but mainly concentrates on Vacum Press Veneering.

If you have access to foxtel digital, try and catch a couple of episodes of David Marks on Woodworks (10:30pm Weeknights channel 118). He does a lot of bent laminations. I found watching someone do it a lot more helpful than reading about it.

Joe

hoopy
23rd September 2004, 12:42 PM
Fine Woodworking on bending wood is pretty good, a collection of articles (steaming, vacuum pressing, tapered laminations, straight laminations, curved ply etc)

I think a srtaight lamination with all the strips going in the same direction would be best, try to use all the strips from the same stock in the order it came off the saw, using a triangle drawn on the end for re-alignment, you could vacuum form it with a pretty simple former if you can get hold of one or make the male/female mold from mdf, I think the parent magazine for this forum did an article on this about a year ago.