PDA

View Full Version : Another Triton crosscut sled

jow104
23rd September 2004, 07:11 PM
SORRY ABOUT THE WORD WRAP

I have had my Triton 2000 workcentre for 2 years and this was my first venture into
machine woodwork. The Triton has been a worthwhile piece of kit to use, especialy
the rip saw set up.
Cross cutting is satisfactory but involves taking off the tabletop and resetting below
the saw blade. This has always been a criticism of mine because the dust collection
system for the workcentre needs tobe removed and consequently you get a dose of dust
in the enviroment and is time consuming.
I have therefore been considering for sometime a quick method of changing to a crosscut mode
leaving the tabletop in place . All table saws rely on a projector slot and mitre piece but we constantly
hear that there is someplay when using this setup. I assume the more money you spend the
less problem this presents, but there must be varying amounts of play even then.
I have come to the conclusion that the Triton system having worked OK for me in the past
can be improved to give even more consistancy.

Vince Cohen of NSW put out a version of a Triton Crosscut Sled in November 2003 on the Ubeat forum websitehttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=6312&highlight=crosscut+slid
and I personally had the pleasure using his sled when visiting Australia earlier this year when I was kindly invited to
visit Vince and June.
The system Vince published titled "Triton Crosscut Sled" (which is available if the search system is used)
uses the Triton sliding extension table inner guide rail and inner bearings (small version)
but the larger version would still be OK.

I have gone one step further using the jig published by Vince in that the Triton projector (mitre) is attached
to the front of the sled thereby providing a third aligning guide and making the sled evenmore stable and
allowing some slight 90 degree setup via the projector if needed when wear and tear takes place.

The riving knife blade (on my model) plus the upright guide and saw blade safety cover can also be retained
with my modification, which I am sure Vince would agree is a worthwhile addition.

It suited me to use a smaller melaline board, less weight causeing less wear, and also allows me to use the
Triton fence when cutting shoulders of tenon joints. Triton DO NOT RECOMMEND THE FENCE BE USED WHEN
CROSSCUTTING which can cause kickback if timber is trapped between sawblade and fence. Larger cutting capacity
would most probably return me to the Sled constructed by Vince.

I intend to obtain a shoe that slides in the projector track if possible from Triton sometime in the future, this shoe
will be dropped in the sliding slot and bolted through the melaline sled to give a fourth guide or to dispense
with the front projector when more cutting capability is required behind the blade.

Clamping the piece of timber to the crosscut sled definately gives a better quality cut than hand held timber
against the fence. The improvement of cut needs tobe seen to be believed.

Naturally no objection to any criticism or corresponce on this posting

Photographs are attached (without thumbnails to improve pictuire quality) and if anybody can offer web space
full thread pictures would be available.
Further pics to follow

jow104
23rd September 2004, 07:18 PM
Further pictures attached

Sturdee
23rd September 2004, 07:50 PM
John,

Congratulations on building this jig. It is a worthwile addition to the range of tablesaw sleds already available.

It appears quick in setup, easy to use and the ability to use the Triton safety features makes it better than most I've seen.

Again well done but why isn't it painted orange? :rolleyes:

Peter.

jow104
23rd September 2004, 09:30 PM
Colour modification to follow shortly.

Interwood
24th September 2004, 01:01 AM
l would be pleased to display your pictures and story in my web space if that is what you need. PM me for details.

Interwood