PDA

View Full Version : G'day

Roscoe49
22nd May 2010, 09:23 AM
Hi there everyone.My name is Roscoe from out past Ipswich.I'm 61 next month and have decided to learn wood turning(better late than never).I've been looking around for a lathe to practice on but am getting totally confused.I start lessons next week as well.
I have been offered a very old Woodfast from a school which is 3 phase for $200. Not sure if it would be worth converting it to single phase or not.Does anyone have any thoughts or maybe even a half decent lathe they are selling that I could learn on without hurting myself?
Ross

wheelinround
22nd May 2010, 09:26 AM
Ross welcome to the forum as your in Brisbane why not get along to the Brisbane Timber and woodworking show this weekend. You'll find heaps there and many forumites also.

The lathe well it depends on if its one of the presed metal types or a soldi cast bed worth the change still.:2tsup:

Christos
22nd May 2010, 07:53 PM
Welcome to the forum. Not able to help on the lathe but as Wheelinround mention might be worth a look at the Brissy show.

munruben
23rd May 2010, 09:23 AM
Welcome to the forum. You can always keep an eye out of ebay or on this forum but I was at the show yesterday and Carbatec had a reasonably priced lathe at $399 If you can't get to the show, take a look at their website or Hare and Forbes website.
Welcome to the addiction.:):2tsup:

Claw Hama
23rd May 2010, 09:45 AM
Hi Ross and welcome, it's just like the guys said above, you can also see people turning, see the type of things others are making, all at the show. Have fun,

artme
24th May 2010, 08:16 PM
G'day Roscoe and welcome to civilization!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::p

Roscoe49
24th May 2010, 10:00 PM
G"Day mate.
I start learning to wood turn on thursday and successfully won the bidding on Ebay for a lathe this arvo.Probably jumping the gun a tad,but I am determined to learn to turn.pardon the weak pun.
Roscoe

Claw Hama
24th May 2010, 11:49 PM
No stopping you now, sure you will have lots of fun.:U

munruben
25th May 2010, 10:12 AM
G"Day mate.
I start learning to wood turn on thursday and successfully won the bidding on Ebay for a lathe this arvo.Probably jumping the gun a tad,but I am determined to learn to turn.pardon the weak pun.
RoscoeCongratulations on buying your new toy mate.You are now hooked and will never be the same again.:):2tsup: