PDA

View Full Version : Finally! :)

journeyman Mick
23rd September 2004, 10:35 PM
Well, I finally took the first step back to boat ownership yesterday :D . (Sold my last boat about 7 years ago :( ) It was my birthday on Tuesday and I ordered plans for a Green Island 15. (check it out at www.headlandboats.com ) I was after a boat that I could launch and handle solo, could take a small outboard or oars, was relatively dry and stable and could carry SWMBO in the style with which she was accustomed, ie: take the kitchen sink along. A friend had pointed me towards these plans about two years ago when I listed my requirements, and although I have spent many hours trolling the net I haven't found any designs more suited. From certain angles she doesn't look real pretty but there's always going to be some trade offs somewhere. I have promised SWMBO that I won't start building her until I've done the kitchen, vanity and bed :( , but it should prove an extra motivation.

Mick

vsquizz
23rd September 2004, 10:45 PM
Well done Mick. Looks nice, just one thing to remember. When you launch from Kuranda, the first part will be a bit bumpy, but when you get down the Barron a bit she'll be right. Oh and Dynamite Fishin has been outlawed since you last had a boat:D .

What timber?

Cheers

Sturdee
23rd September 2004, 10:54 PM
Oh and Dynamite Fishin has been outlawed since you last had a boat:D .

Shucks, :eek: have done it a few times, caught lots of fish, much easier than using a rod. :D

Good motivation to get those jobs done.

Peter.

E. maculata
23rd September 2004, 11:01 PM
Nice style, almost timeless and definitely "cool".... although what would a fat bald middle aged guy, like me know about, "cool"

journeyman Mick
23rd September 2004, 11:24 PM
Squizzy,
not sure what timbers I'll use. The hull is mainly ply and I may clear finish the interior. I need to build an extension to my shed before the wet (if we get one this year :( ), and when I do I'll be able to sort my timber collection out somewhat. On that note, anybody know if silver quandong is any good for boats? I've just been offered a fair sized log.
I've got an ally mast sitting on the rack that I could use but I'm leaning towards a more traditional feel and look. I must be turning into an old fart as I'm not pushing for speed first.

Mick

vsquizz
23rd September 2004, 11:40 PM
Squizzy,
I must be turning into an old fart as I'm not pushing for speed first.

Mick
I heard speed is really bad for you anyways Mick:D

The website had a nice timber finished 18.

Cheers

barnsey
24th September 2004, 12:15 AM
Mick,

A gaff rigged day sailer - You little trimmer :)

Did my first competitive sailing in Cadet Dinghies at Royal Melbourne Yacht Squadron in the 60's. ;)

Certainly nice to see a return to traditional lines. :D

Couldn't convince you to try it with a clinker construction could I? :confused:

Here's a picture of one if you are unfamiliar:

Were great boats to sail - although they were made in fiberglass in the late 70's :(

K eep us posted on how you go ;)

Jamie

bitingmidge
24th September 2004, 08:27 AM
Congratulations Mick!!

Sorry to hear that you've turned into a fart though. :eek:

I made a similar decision almost ten years ago and haven't regretted it, although my boat is MUCH lighter (and faster :D :D ) than the Green Is (and 6" longer but who's counting?).

If you go the timber spar, make it hollow. I didn't and a replacement is still on my list of things to make and do. I have a couple of decent lengths of oregon out of that old pergola that features in everything else I do.

As far as timber goes, I have only ever used WRC, clear oregon, balsa, a little spruce, and gaboon ply, so can't help...I am a bit of a "light is good" kinda girl. I suspect that the Green Is can carry a bit more by the nature of it's design.

As for the kitchen, vanity and bed.... well they'll always be there!

Enjoy!

Cheers,

P

sinjin1111
1st April 2005, 09:49 PM
Hi journey. i used to laminate Quandong and Red cedar ( not western red) for inlay work on decks gunwhales rudders c/boards whatever. Gives a really great constrast.
Sinjin

journeyman Mick
1st April 2005, 11:38 PM
Sinjin,
thanks for that, unfortunately (a) no progress on the boat, just starting the kitchen and finishing the bed and (b) I couldn't get a machine in to salvage the log in time and it got cut into little chunks and carted away :eek: about 3 cubes of it :mad: .

Mick

sinjin1111
2nd April 2005, 05:29 PM
I know how you feel, it's a real shame when you see so much good timber go down the shute. It's usally the same old story...no way of handling large sections. I'm looking at a good size bandsaw so if i at all come across some good logs i can have a shot at getting them down to a manageable size.

Anyway Quandong and red cedar looked really great sometimes Silver Ash and Red cedar and usally with Red Cedar ply decks or what ever. The colour contrast was very striking. And if you made some really fancy stuff like curved tillers etc. We used to use router or spindle molder cutter that would give you very long darts, Red,white,red,white when you joined the boards together. So when you looked at the top of laminated boards you would see darts about 15-20mm long inter-locking with each other. Then if you cut the laminated board to give you a curve the darts would appears to be maybe 100mm long. Anyway just a bit of useless trivia.
Sinjin

ozwinner
2nd April 2005, 07:15 PM
I must be turning into an old fart as I'm not pushing for speed first.

Mick
Must be you Mick, I still have this need for speed thing ( no not really DanP , Im just tricken)....
Or am I.............:rolleyes:

Al ;)

Wild Dingo
7th April 2005, 03:21 AM
Mick.. tis good to see yerve made yer ming up ol son... and given that Ive decided that yer safe from what Im about to do... I mean youve made yer mind up right??? So my postin this here on your thread is simply by way of informin these other fellas of a fine design available... cause you wouldnt be tempted away from your choice right?... so in the mode of assisting our fellow board members I post Whisper boats beautiful wee "Secret"

Damned if I can ever get the pic thing to work but heres the link to it!

http://www.whisperboats.co.uk/images/boat.jpg

and the site Whisper boats (http://www.whisperboats.co.uk)

This little sweetheart is 27ft LOA 20ft LWL 7ft Beam a draft of just 2ft 3in and weighin in at just 650kl shes a sweet gaffer very reminiscent of the old Sydney Racers of the early 20th century and as sweet as a nut!!! and check out that transom!!! man shes soooooo flamin sexy!!! :eek:

I myself am sorely tempted to purchase the plans... sorely tempted and have sent an email requesting prices I will let everyone know threw this thread how much they are when they respond

But I know youve made up your mind Mick so Im not tempting you at all :p

bitingmidge
7th April 2005, 09:32 AM
Shane,

The Whisper is just another in a long line of Scruffies, no need to get info from the UK, you can go straight to Derek Ellard the designer/kit supplier at Mt Tambourine!

http://www.scruffie.com/

Cheers,

P

Daddles
7th April 2005, 10:32 AM
Shane,

The Whisper is just another in a long line of Scruffies, no need to get info from the UK, you can go straight to Derek Ellard the designer/kit supplier at Mt Tambourine!

http://www.scruffie.com/

Cheers,

P

and if that's the case, you may find you won't be able to buy plans, only kits. I tried a few years back with one of the smaller boats and Derek, who's a hell of a nice bloke as it happens, told me that 'plans' as such, didn't exist because they were set up to make these things as kits. However, that might be different for the big boats and they may even have made plans available, though with the accuracy needed to make a big, stitch and poo boat come out right, they may, as other designers have, choose not to.

Glad to see you back on the board Shane. What brought you out of the bush? Did it rain or something and remind you of boats?

Cheers
Richard

STEPHEN MILLER
7th April 2005, 01:51 PM
Mate of mine uses oregon all the time in strips which are epoxied all around then epoxies it to ply with gaps in between and uses black sikaflex in between comes up a treat. He has used it to redo sole, cupboard doors and tops in his in his yacht that has almost been completely restored from steaming and making new ribs etc. We are going to do the same thing in the cockpit of ours to smarten it up a bit

:) I live with fear every day and sometimes she lets me go sailing