PDA

View Full Version : X-Cut Zebrano Baron

timberbits
23rd May 2010, 11:52 AM
Its been a while since I have made a pen. I have been busy making boxes for a corporate order for the last 6 weeks.

X-Cut Zebrano Baron II. I prepared 3 blanks because I knew I was going to blow out one or two of these blanks. Fortunately I did it first time round with out any major dramas.

Sanded to 400 grit, 20 thin coats of CA, wet sanded with micro mesh to 12,000 grit, Brasso then a final coat of automotive wax.

Very happy with the results. The Zebrano shimmers and changes tone when you rotate the pen.

Timberbits.

L R P
23rd May 2010, 11:58 AM
Very nicehttp://cdn.woodworkforums.com/images/smilies/actions/2thumbsup.gifhttp://cdn.woodworkforums.com/images/smilies/actions/2thumbsup.gif

Penpal
23rd May 2010, 12:05 PM
Very courageous effort extremely well done that Timber is hairy and patchy and sometimes ugly to me. The very shimmer can make the end grain cuts look like mountains. Your pen (I like only 400 grit) misses all of my concerns. I have found the last cuts not with the chisel but sandpaper obviate the problem as well.
As we both say thanks for showing.
Regards Peter.:2tsup:

Big Shed
23rd May 2010, 12:30 PM
Great looking combo there David, excellent fit and finish:2tsup:

HazzaB
23rd May 2010, 12:40 PM
Hey David,

Beautiful job mate, very brave attempt, for a very special outcome:2tsup::2tsup:
I have been playing with cutting at about 30-40 degrees, little bit safer than crosscut, IMO

HazzaB

texx
23rd May 2010, 01:25 PM
very nice pen david , but dont use up all your baron kits, i just ordered some more from you only 5 minutes ago

Les in Red Deer
23rd May 2010, 01:30 PM
Very nicely done David!
Excellent fit and finish.
The timber reminds me of Tiger strips.

Les

dai sensei
23rd May 2010, 02:11 PM
Beautiful pen David, well done :2tsup:

artme
23rd May 2010, 02:36 PM
Beautiful pen beautifully done!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

mkypenturner
23rd May 2010, 03:23 PM
superb pen :2tsup::2tsup:

troy

ForumDemo
23rd May 2010, 03:25 PM
Wonderful pen David:2tsup:

Ps. I'm demonstrating posting at the mo

Sawdust Maker
23rd May 2010, 08:04 PM
nice work
like the fit and the finish
I can only imagine the shimmer etc as all my zebrano attempts have failed to date. Your pen shows that it can be done - thanks for sharing

Rum Pig
24th May 2010, 03:28 PM
Good to see you back on the lathe David:2tsup:

Very nice pen well done:2tsup:

Simomatra
25th May 2010, 11:24 AM
Good to see you back on the lathe David and a great pen straight off. You have done well with a cut that can be extremely difficult to turn. :2tsup::2tsup:

timberbits
26th May 2010, 04:57 PM
Thanks for all the kind comments.

I also made a letter opener to match and a box to put it in.

I cut the Zebrano in a non -conventional way to get a different look to the box. Its not the most stable way to create a box, but the I think the effect is well worth it.

I have dubbed it the "Zebrano bird cage"

Hope you all like it.

Timberbits.

munruben
26th May 2010, 07:46 PM
Very nice, :2tsup::2tsup:

PenTurner
26th May 2010, 09:15 PM
Love it David, pen and opener are beautiful, so is the box, could I suggest that you make the lid crosscut also!! I think looking at it side on it would "flow" with the pattern of the walls, Amos:2tsup::2tsup::) (ps that advice is from someone who hasn't made a box:oo:) Amos:)

timberbits
28th May 2010, 12:54 PM
could I suggest that you make the lid crosscut also!! I think looking at it side on it would "flow" with the pattern of the walls, Amos:2tsup::2tsup::) (ps that advice is from someone who hasn't made a box:oo:) Amos:)

Hi Amos

Thanks for the suggestion.

That was what I originally did, however the timber did not agree with me. Every time the humidity changed, the lid would warp and distort. A warped and distorted lid sticks out like a saw thumb.

I even tried it with a thicker lid, I increased the thickness from 9mm to 15mm but the lid still warped.

Thanks again for the suggestion.

Timberbits.

Rum Pig
28th May 2010, 02:05 PM
Nice looking box it makes a very nice set well done:2tsup::2tsup: