PDA

View Full Version : table saw/bandsaw checklist

forunna
24th September 2004, 12:32 AM
My learned and experienced friends, I wish to pick your brains.
If I were to be looking for a used tablesaw and/or bandsaw, what would I need to be checking/looking at on the prospective piece of machinery?
Is it possible to compile a checklist for each type of saw?

barnsey
24th September 2004, 02:21 AM
Craig

The library is probably as good a place to start to try and find the info you are looking for. There are multiple page articles on these questions in periodicals and numerous books, a lot of it dependant on what you want to do with them. :o

Alternately simple searches through this BB and it's archives will keep you busy for days :D

Do your research and then head off to different suppliers to see what they offer new, that way you will have some idea of whether what you are looking at secondhand is worth the cold hard they want compared to what you might get with a new one. :rolleyes:

Good luck - you can pick up some real bargains 2ndhand if you know what you are looking at :D

forunna
25th September 2004, 01:06 AM
ah, Barnsey.
I just re-read my post and it isnt clear.
I was thinking like when you are looking at used cars you check the oil and the compression and have a look at the tread on tyres etc. Regardless what car it is.
or say, on a HT Monaro always check the panel under the rear side windows for rust.
I dont know table saws or band saws, yet, so would like to know if there are specific bits I should check on ANY used saw.
I mean, appart from turning it on and seeing the blade go around I wouldnt know if it is cactus or like new. or is that all there is to it?

barnsey
25th September 2004, 02:54 AM
Craig,

I know I can have a sharp tongue at times but I really wasn't having a go this time around!! :eek:

Seriously this subject is covered in the woodies magazines regularly and I'd be surprised if you couldn't find an article or two on the net. I can do the searches for you but the secret is to empower you to find out - you'll learn much more if you seek it rather than me try and reiterate all this freely available knowledge :D :D

Jamie

bitingmidge
25th September 2004, 10:41 AM
Craig,

There's a heap of info out there on Tuning Bandsaws and Table Saws including jigs for checking set-ups.

Articles like this:http://files.owwm.com/PDF/FAQ/110124076.pdf abound.

You need to be cleverer than me to know how to check out the electrical motor, but the bearings, and other set-ups are easy enough.

The big trick with the cheapies is that they are (were?) often assembled poorly and can't be adjusted to dead square as originally supplied. I bought my first band and table saws very cheaply from disenchanted guys, and spent quite some time getting them right, but it was possible, and I made a profit on both.

Rather than a checklist, if you read the tune-up articles, you'll see what needs to be done, and you'll also get a feel for what can be done when you see it in person.

If you need more, post again!

Cheers,

P

PaulS
25th September 2004, 12:39 PM
Craig,

A good book to check out is Table Saw Basics. It describes the difference in a contractor and a table saw, and goes through all the tune up stuff. Just borrow it from your local library.
Paul

RETIRED
25th September 2004, 06:39 PM
B.M. I can't get that link to work.

John Saxton
25th September 2004, 07:37 PM
Neither can I.

Cheers :)

bitingmidge
25th September 2004, 08:31 PM
Sorry guys, fixed it!! (took a bit of finding again too!)

here it is again for your info: http://files.owwm.com/PDF/FAQ/110124076.pdf

Cheers,

P
:o :o :o

forunna
28th September 2004, 12:41 AM
OK , I get the picture, thanks all.
I'll check out "tune ups"
and Jamie, I just thought you had misunderstood me so I was reading your answer in a different context. thanks again.