PDA

View Full Version : Has the Brissy show even been on? Where are the reviews?

I_wanna_Shed
23rd May 2010, 09:31 PM
Surely there have been folk on here who have returned from the Brissy show!

Come on guys and gals.... where are the reviews of who to see and what demo's to catch, pics of what you bought, and other stuff.

Lots of us are waiting for the Sydney show to roll around and we use the Brissy show as a teaser....

Particulary interested in what demo's to catch, with a few new faces on this year's schedule.

Nathan.

Cliff Rogers
23rd May 2010, 10:02 PM
Yup, you have to go for the whole 3 days & watch ALL the demos & visit all the tool stands & buy more timber than you can use in a year & do it again next year. :D

I only went for one day & it wasn't long enough. :(

I spent almost $300 on timber & tools for turning. :)

Neal
23rd May 2010, 10:41 PM
Went today it was very quite compared to most years, spent quite some time at Guilio Marcolongo's turning demos was pretty impressive.Pretty sure some of the bigger stands where not as stacked with goodies as usual but still a enjoyable day out, it is still hard to catch all the demos you want in one day tho plus make some purchases, dont think I got any really special deals but it is good to see it all under one roof.

Neal

stiff jointed
23rd May 2010, 10:53 PM
I spent Saturday at the wood show but i didnt think it was as good as previous shows. In saying that, i met some great friends and even spent a few grand on new spiral cutting heads for my jointer and thicknesser.'I'll be going to Sydney next and cant wait. :2tsup:

Thornburn
24th May 2010, 01:36 PM
I went on Sunday (I normally go on Sat but SWMBO had a birthday - hers!) I couldn't get to all the demos I wanted in one day - which is a first! - better than previous years.

Well worth attending

I bought a new 7" sliding bevel from Chris Vesper with black redgum inlay which is just a beautiful tool, dovetail saw, some of Ubeaut's products, tool rest from Carrols - and some Red Myrtle & Huon Pine. All up approx $1,000 :D - but well pleased with it all.:2tsup:
Thornburn

blackhole
25th May 2010, 11:27 AM
I got some toy books which I hope will help me empty a couple of scrap boxes, you can see in the photo that I have marked the pages with toys that look quick and easy.

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=137747&stc=1&d=1274746214

Added a few new products to my toolkit.

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=137748&stc=1&d=1274746292

Never have too many clamps! The caps for the clamps were disappointing, I should have got the small ones and saved a dollar each. The plastic edge of the larger caps has no support so it is only as useful as the smaller caps.

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=137749&stc=1&d=1274746391

And best of all I scored a special (very special) edition leather bound copy of "A Polishers Handbook", thanks to Neil, Pauline and Wendy.

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=137750&stc=1&d=1274746826

Superbunny
25th May 2010, 10:09 PM
Well I had a good time and spent myself out with a number of trips to the car to off load. The forum stand was well attended and thecoffee was free. Now I really wanted some INCRA rules and protractors so I made a bee line to Carbatec and after seeing Timbacon's prices for the same rules, I'l never complain about Carbatec's prices again. You would think they would check the pricing of their opposition before comming to the show. I got what I wanted including the INCRA rules, some slabs and jet clamps with bits and peices. I really enjoyed the Neil Scobie demmos and it was great to put my hands on his latest box that I plan to make in the next few months. Now saving for nest year.:D:D

SB

ubeaut
25th May 2010, 10:28 PM
We had a very enjoyable show met a lot of great people, did pretty reasonable sales, did a few really well accepted demo's even had one inadvertently stolen by . New demo format for Sydney should make for some really good demo's from ubeaut. Hopefully......

Numbers were up on last year (for Friday), not sure about the rest of the weekend.
From what I saw I would think most exhibitors should be reasonably happy with the result, Especially after the fiasco in November last year.
First show in Brisbane since 2007, so not really sure, but seemed it may have been down a little on exhibitor numbers, but for mine the exhibitor quality was pretty high.
Nice wide isles so there was no crowding and no problems with access even for those with wheel chairs.
Plenty of lounge areas with comfortable chairs/couches for visitors to sit and brows their goodies, recuperate, and regroup for another salvo of buying or demonstrations, etc.
Lots of timber and some pretty good deals on most stands if you were prepared to ask.
More demonstration areas than ever before, with the highest standard of demonstrations and demonstrators I've ever seen at a Timber and Working With Wood Show.

There has been a lot of naysayer and people trying to bring down these shows over the past year and for mine, EEE have done more over the last 12 mths for these shows, than was done for them in the previous 12 years.

They have done everything that has been asked of them and gone out of their way to bring the best shows ever back to the public. All that's needed now is for everyone to get off their buts and support them. Not only the public but exhibitors who have left the shows with misguided loyalties, etc.

The Melbourne show last year was pretty much the best we have ever done, Brisbane was also good from an exhibitors point. Could be better and hopefully next year it will.

Roll on Sydney. I believe last years was an absolute blinder so lets try and make this one even better for everyone.

Thanks to Liz, Rick and the entire EEE team for all their amazing work.

Cheers - Neil :U

I_wanna_Shed
25th May 2010, 10:58 PM
Fantastic summary there Neil - makes me very anxious for the Sydney show!

It will be good to see you back at the shows too. On that subject, are you able to expand on the demo's you will be doing? I'm trying to go two days this year - I never can fit in every demo that I want to see.

I agree with what you have said about EEE, they are doing a fantastic job. Sometimes all that is needed is fresh blood and new ideas - oh, and listening to customers never goes astray!

Nathan .

wheelinround
25th May 2010, 11:09 PM
Thanks Neil and others

Got to save a bit more for that Polishers Book forget every year.........then again I have been waiting to WIN one off the forum.:U:;

ubeaut
26th May 2010, 09:52 AM
are you able to expand on the demo's you will be doing? I'm trying to go two days this year
G'day Nathan - we were down in Briz for the following:

10:30 – French Polish and other surface finishes
12:00 – Finishing for Woodworkers should have been woodturners
1 :30 – Decorative finishes for turners and furniture etc
3 :00 – General finishes and a Q & A session

Will change it to:

10:30 – Flat surface finishes for furniture.
Achieve a better than professional finish easily and quickly. Improve on finishes you have already done. Refinishing a surface for the perfect look and feel.

12:00 – Finishing for Woodturners
Make your turned work come to life with finishes that take seconds to do and last for years. Friction Polishes, super fine abrasives, wax, water dye, techniques and uses for the ultimate finish.

1:30 – Decorative Finishes
Basic decorative finishes, for flair on furniture, woodturnings, and almost anything else wooden. Enhance and value add to your work and have a bit of fun doing it. Artistic talent not required.

3:00 – Question & Answer Session - help and information for all finishing and restoration problems.
Help for everyone with a finishing problem, be it for furniture, turned work, carvings, restoration or anything else. Turn up with your questions and all will (hopefully) be answered - Demonstration to assist, where possible. (Not for exterior finishing)
Hope this is of some help.

Cheers - Neil :U

wheelinround
26th May 2010, 05:22 PM
Neil sounds good I admit finishing is something I have trouble with not the sanding but choosing the right finish to use.
1 for the piece
2 for the use
3 for the cost

Neil how long does each demo take (less questions) I find a start time is always given no matter what demo's but length of time very seldom.

I usually assume the period being as you times 1030 to say 1130 a break then 12 to 1 etc.

no wonder it takes 3 days to see the full show.

I_wanna_Shed
27th May 2010, 12:25 AM
Fantastic - thanks for elaborating Neil!

I've decided all four is a go-er! Looking forward to hearing it straight from the horses mouth - especially for finishing flat pieces. The finishing for turned pieces can be very easy with the right (U-Beaut!) products.

See you there,
Nathan.

Barrie Restall
30th May 2010, 02:40 PM
Couldnt agree more with Neil, a great show. Went with a couple of mates and we appreciated the room to move, the lounges, and the demos. Good idea to have one coffe shop under cover for those of us who might have a health issue with outdoor eating near the dusty stuff.

Some thought to the siting of demos could help as one or two were difficult to hear due to nearby noise. Not a big problem but for us old blokes hearing isnt that good anymore.

Didnt get much joy from the big machinery guys, dont know whether they will bother in future. Most just had salesmen present, hard to find a technical expert. We were checking band saws and eventually decided to make a separate trip on another day to the machinery houses to check them out first hand. Maybe they will just have booths handing out catalogues with the odd bit of gear on display. We wont worry if they dont bother, there is more info on the net and you really have to see the gear before you buy.

If future wood shows have timber, displays, demos and all the smaller people showing their tools and odds and ends, that you can see before you buy, we will be there. Its a great day out.

I spent a few hundred dollars on timber, sandpaper, swansdown buffs, some clamps, very satisfied with the purchases.

As I had the flu I didnt go into the forum lounge out of consideration for all the good people inside. I still have it!

Just wish I could go to all the shows.

Kind regards,

Barrie

Liz Falloon
30th May 2010, 05:08 PM
Thanks for the comments everyone. This was the first show of the year, and the whole team have come back exhausted!! We had more exhibitors than last year (90+). We took more space in the hall than last year and laid out the plan to ensure we had those wide (comfortable) aisleways - sometimes that can be to our determent as it makes it look as though we don't have the same numbers attending. Our attendance was down for the three days by 198, making total visitors to the show of 9029. We had fantastic audience growth last year, and while hoping we would grow again this year we are okay with the result.

Well into planning for the Sydney Show, and believe we will have a full house! Good to hear that visiotrs appreciated the lounge areas and the forum lounge - both will be back in Sydney - and in fact all of our shows.

Hope by now all of the South Australian members of the forum have heard we are returning to Adelaide this year July 23-25. This will be Adelaide's only genuine Timber and Working with Wood Show, with the show dedicated to timber and wood. The full program of presenters that we have on schedule will also be makingthe trip with us to Adelaide. The presentation programs were really well received in Brisbane, so hopefully the South Australians will enjoy seeing the professional at work in their given field.
Liz