PDA

View Full Version : First Cake Stand

Chipman
23rd May 2010, 10:17 PM
At work, we take turns at bringing a cake when it is someones birthday...seems a bit pointless as the person concerned just gets a piece of cake like everyone else!

As it is my turn to bring a cake, I thought I would be different and make a cake stand to go with it as a present.

It is 250 mm diameter and 150 mm tall (could be a bit too tall?)
It is made out of 3 pieces of Blackwood and finished with EEE and shellawax cream.

I tried to use my Cole jaws to reverse mount the top and bottom but couldn't as when the stops adjusted to hold it the jaws were too wide to turn...back to the jamb chuck. Might have to make a coolection of mdf pieces to put on the backing plate.

I have included a photo of the underneath side

Cheers
Chipman

mkypenturner
23rd May 2010, 10:54 PM
thats a great stand :2tsup: you will have to make sure the cookings just as good :D

troy

artme
24th May 2010, 08:28 AM
That looks good enough to eat!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Chipman
24th May 2010, 09:25 AM
Thanks,

My wife cooks the cakes so I can guarantee they are tops! Apple Cake today... yum!!!!

Regards,

Chipman

Ed Reiss
24th May 2010, 12:26 PM
Good idea, Chipman :2tsup:

Texian
24th May 2010, 01:04 PM
Very attractive piece. Guess it might be a little bit tall and tippy, but aesthetically it is just fine.

Chipman
24th May 2010, 01:29 PM
Yes, if I were doing another one, I would certainly make it shorter I almost remounted it to take a bit off, but had run out of time.

Another possibility would be a wider base (but that is the timber I had)

In spite of its height, it is reasonably stable.

Cheers,

Chipman