PDA

View Full Version : Longworth chuck safety

Tiger
24th May 2010, 12:06 PM
I've made a longworth chuck which works well except that when I used it yesterday, the old habit of stopping the chuck with my hand kicked in and my hand grabbed one of the spinning wingnuts at the back ( which I forgot about) and gave me a nasty scratch. What can you do to make this safe, what alternative to steel wingnuts are there?

Ed Reiss
24th May 2010, 12:21 PM
Round head carriage bolts (screws) come to mind, but even so just be mindful that it's a lot of mass spinning by, so best thing is to keep reminding yourself that it's a longworth chuck on there...not a faceplate.

Texian
24th May 2010, 01:13 PM
Alternative is better habit to never grab anything on the working end of the spindle, regardless of how smooth and round it might be. Grab the handwheel, or just wait.

John Lucas
24th May 2010, 01:36 PM
Been there done that. My suggestion, don't do that. :)

Tiger
24th May 2010, 02:18 PM
Alternative is better habit to never grab anything on the working end of the spindle, regardless of how smooth and round it might be. Grab the handwheel, or just wait.

I was using the lathe outboard and the handwheel was at the back and a little difficult to reach. Old habits die hard and I was stopping the lathe often to check whether I had removed the tear-out. Although I'd like to think that I won't ever grab the chuck, I know I probably will so I need to find a safer option, pity about the wingnuts because the Longworth chuck works well.

tea lady
24th May 2010, 07:44 PM
Maybe the wing nuts need to be recessed a little bit? :shrug: Or maybe rubber something or others over them? :think: Cut off all the fingers of the rubber gloves and put them on. At least the PINK flying around might be more visible too. :cool:

Pat
24th May 2010, 08:04 PM
Rule no 1 Don't grab the chuck
Rule no 2 Colour the outside edge Orange/Red or pink so you can see it at all times.
Rule no 3 Don't grab the chuck.

Harry72
24th May 2010, 10:30 PM
Shouldnt be able to put the fingers there in the first place... make a removable guard, it'll work better than a forgetful memory:p

Tiger
25th May 2010, 11:00 AM
Shouldnt be able to put the fingers there in the first place... make a removable guard, it'll work better than a forgetful memory:p

The guard sounds like a good idea, Harry, anyone have a design for one?

Texian
25th May 2010, 12:56 PM
I was using the lathe outboard and the handwheel was at the back and a little difficult to reach. Old habits die hard and I was stopping the lathe often to check whether I had removed the tear-out. Although I'd like to think that I won't ever grab the chuck, I know I probably will so I need to find a safer option, pity about the wingnuts because the Longworth chuck works well.

Maybe an "auxiliary handwheel" threaded onto the inboard end of the spindle when turning outboard? Maybe better just to remember "if it hurts when you do that, don't do that".

Alastair
26th May 2010, 04:45 PM
One other safety alert for the Longworth.

If you have an electronic variable speed drive, particularly one that spools up from start, it is possible to find onesself in a hot situation, if one has accidentally set the speed too high,

Saw this happen to George Hatfield during my TAFE course. Wasn't a Longworth, but an MDF jig about 500mm in diam. instead. He fitted it to the lathe, and switched on, not realising that a passing idiot had turned the speed controller to max.

As the lathe spooled up from a hum to a howl, he tried to get to the control to slow it down, but before he could, the jig exploded into fragments, taking out the window behind, the o/h fluoro, and nearly George.............

regards

joe greiner
26th May 2010, 08:52 PM
If you're concerned that the chuck may unscrew itself from the spindle, and thus feel compelled to brake manually, add a grubscrew for better purchase and let it coast to a stop. Failing that, wrap wide bright-colored duct tap around the rim (clockwise, BTW), extending past both disks fore and aft. Apply braking only to the center of the tape.

Cheers,
Joe

Tiger
27th May 2010, 06:02 PM
Failing that, wrap wide bright-colored duct tap around the rim (clockwise, BTW), extending past both disks fore and aft. Apply braking only to the center of the tape.

Cheers,
Joe

Good idea Joe, thanks.