PDA

View Full Version : Old Glue.

mspil
26th May 2010, 11:22 PM
I have come into possession of some old furniture timber dating from 1927. Various pieces are glued together with a glue that appears to be of a medium-brown colour. Does anybody have any suggestions as to how I might try to make this substance release its grip? I want to salvage as much as possible of the wood without damage

Woodwould
26th May 2010, 11:29 PM
It's most likely animal glue which will readily relinquish its hold with hot water and/or heat from a heat gun.

mspil
29th May 2010, 11:16 PM
Thanks, Woodwould. In fact, I found that the stuff is very brittle, and lets go quite easily with a sharp rap from a hammer. I did try the heat gun, but found the hammer method did the job easier and faster.

Woodwould
29th May 2010, 11:49 PM
Thanks, Woodwould. In fact, I found that the stuff is very brittle, and lets go quite easily with a sharp rap from a hammer. I did try the heat gun, but found the hammer method did the job easier and faster.
Ah, it's completely dried out. In that case, not that it's of much use to you now, but flushing it out with meths will crackle the dried glue and make it easier to disassemble.