PDA

View Full Version : New idea of making a bowl

Ad de Crom
27th May 2010, 05:22 AM
Turning all the times bowls with a ''classic'' shape, seems to me a bit boring.
That's why I did an experiment with another shaped bowl.
As always, some find the idea good, some do not.
What do you think?
This experimental bowl is made of oak, has this oak since 2003 in my wood store, notice the spalted area.
DxH 170x70mm, finished with three layers blanc transparent acrylic stain decoration. Wallthickness 7mm
Cheers, Ad

artme
27th May 2010, 07:35 AM
Good to be different Ad! I, for one like it. :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

I think the grain pattern helps the shape.

brendan stemp
27th May 2010, 08:37 AM
I always like to see turners trying something different, so well done Ad. I think this shape would work better if you had a smaller foot and made the transition point between the two curves higher up the bowl. Sketch it and you will see what I mean. I look forward to seeing your next effort.

oldiephred
27th May 2010, 08:55 AM
Very nice. I also like to march to my own beat and have made some quite similar:2tsup:

Rum Pig
27th May 2010, 09:09 AM
Very nice well done:2tsup::2tsup:

One of the great things about woodturning is you can make your objects how you like them and no matter what anyone says as long as you are happy with it:):2tsup:

wheelinround
27th May 2010, 10:03 AM
Love the shape Ad and yes its nice to see we don't have to be dogged into a corner on style and design.
Having seen some amazing pieces yesterday which used woods with shakes, voids, spalting, epoxy, and much more.

Think out side the Square/round :U

Allen Neighbors
27th May 2010, 10:44 AM
Her Majesty and I both like it, Ad. But your opinion counts the most for this one. :D

Claw Hama
27th May 2010, 11:05 AM
Thumbs up Ad, very nice work and nice timber. Keep em coming.:U

NeilS
27th May 2010, 11:23 AM
I always like to see turners trying something different, so well done Ad. I think this shape would work better if you had a smaller foot and made the transition point between the two curves higher up the bowl. Sketch it and you will see what I mean. I look forward to seeing your next effort.

Ad, I'm not sure your shape is working quite as well as it could.

I like Brendan's suggestion, here is an example of what I think he had in mind.

Another solution is to go the other way by exaggerating and lowering the upper curve. Nearest example I have to that is this one... sorry about the fuzzy focus on this last pic and, yes, the rim is wobbly... as it was meant to do...:U

Anyway, keep playing with this and other shapes.

steck
27th May 2010, 11:24 AM
I applaud original design ideas!
And I like your bowl!
:2tsup:

Texian
27th May 2010, 12:19 PM
Maybe not "classic" but I like it.

wheelinround
27th May 2010, 03:23 PM
Ad just had a thought I reckon that shape of bowl would suit being done Oval even better.:U

Golden ratio is all about someone who likes what they see if we had everything exactly the same we'd never have new ideas and shapes.

cultana
27th May 2010, 05:38 PM
Ad nice. :2tsup:
Unfortunately you have to consider this as a prototype for the new direction you have taken. Keep going with it.

I may be somewhat backward here, but I thought bowls should be useful, shaped to bring out the grain and colouring as well as the grain and colouring bringing out the shape.
Seems Ad this is one of yours still on track from my perspective.

Ad de Crom
28th May 2010, 06:33 PM
http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachments/f8/137880d1274919480t-new-idea-making-bowl-103h1.jpg (http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachments/f8/137880d1274919480-new-idea-making-bowl-103h1.jpg)

NeilS, this one is a good alternative, not the other.
Oh well, it's just a matter of what you had in your mind.
Thanks, Ad