PDA

View Full Version : Bessey Kliklamps

fletty
27th May 2010, 10:41 AM
I am a great fan of Bessey Kliklamps and tend to buy them when they are on special and/or at the SWWW. I have 20 or so now and they are my clamp of choice. I store them close at hand on a rack at the back of my workbench which puts them near to a window. They get occassional direct sunlight but normally they get indirect light. I noticed just recently that the red triggers are fading on the side that faces the window and, shortly after this, one of the faded triggers broke during normal use. I have emailed Bessey on the subject and they were most helpful and will be working on UV stabilised red plastic for the future. However, they don't sell spare parts as it would be understandably uneconomic and so I am now 1 clamp down but fear there will be more to follow.
Their (and now my) advice is to certainly keep them out of direct sunlight but my experience suggests that strong reflected light is also damaging.
fletty

wheelinround
27th May 2010, 05:45 PM
Fletty I would be sticking it up them and demanding a full replacement. :~
Poor excuse not cost effective to supply replacement handles.

A total re-call on all such clamps as they are something one uses to avoid injury and accidents from happening. Therfore its a major safety issue purchased on special or not.

1 They have designed a clamp to be used only in No Sunlight conditions :?
2 Is there a warning that UV (sunlight) will deteriorate and possibly cause an injury.:?

Ok so bring it tomorrow broken bit and all I'll make and fit a better type possibly alli..

Rattrap
27th May 2010, 07:35 PM
To be honest, only going by the pics, those plastic triggers look pretty poor. That's a pretty narrow point in the trigger right where it broke. Looks like something you'd find on a no name el-cheapo brand.

artme
30th May 2010, 09:47 PM
They are not meant to handle massive pressure. I use them but only where lighter pressure is needed.

bsrlee
30th May 2010, 10:17 PM
If you can get the clamp apart then you could glue the bits back together, make an RTV rubber mold & cast your own replacements from resin. Check out Barnes Products for RTV as well as resin.

Or get Wheelin to make you some nice metal ones.

Wongo
30th May 2010, 10:24 PM
They are not meant to handle massive pressure. I use them but only where lighter pressure is needed.

True but it should be able to handle the maximum pressure that it is designed for, which is when the trigger is fully locked.

adeben
3rd June 2010, 09:28 PM
I have a couple of those Bessey clamps which I purchased recently from the US. The section of the handle which is shown as broken is considerably thicker (deeper?) on my clamps than on the one shown in the photos, so it may be that Bessey has already made an alteration.
In passing, I also bought a couple of Jorgensen 8" Gear Clamps, which are similar in size and operation to the Besseys, but seem to me to be superior in durability and operation.

Bob38S
6th June 2010, 12:10 PM
I have 4 of these [bought in the great Bessey clamp buy of 2007] - they appear to be identical to yours and are the clamp I usually reach for first. Your experience is a little confidence shaker.

If sunlight is indeed a problem - how would a tradie get on who has them in a box on a 'tilly which is often open when working on a jobsite.

Mine are located on my clamp cart which is out of direct sunlight but my shed does get very hot for most of the year - I know it is not a possible UV problem for me, but am now wondering if heat could also be a problem.

I would have thought that a company like Bessey would have at least come to the party and sent you some bits to fix yours or replace them as the company does claim to produce superior clamps for the market.

Not a great help at solving your problem but thanks for the heads up,
Bob