PDA

View Full Version : Checkerplate for backsplash

Karrie
25th September 2004, 10:28 AM
I am doing a budget renovation of a tiny kitchen in a small unit. My son and a uni friend will be living there while studying. I have an idea (maby too crazy?) of using checkerplating as backsplash behind hotplates and sink. Anybody tried this before or is this a silly idea?

bitingmidge
25th September 2004, 10:45 AM
I've used light aluminium (polished) in clubs and bar fitouts. Glued to a substrate with contact adhesive.

Not a silly idea, not cheap, but can look terrific.

Cheers,

P

seriph1
25th September 2004, 11:13 AM
Hi Karrie and welcome to the group!

Checkerplate will result in a very industrial look..... it would be robust I guess, but likely also to be a big grease collector on those edges..... not sure how much it costs, but imagine it wouldnt be too dear .... can't help wondering how boisterous these boys must be, to require checkerplate

:D

fairly takes me back to my early days

Jacksin
25th September 2004, 12:59 PM
It would certainly look striking, but collect too much muck for my liking.
Jack ;)

vsquizz
25th September 2004, 02:06 PM
Karrie, Laminex, Hardies or one of those mobs make a product which is Chequerplate look alike. Just glues to the wall and very easy to look after. Bunnies usually have some various types of spashbacks fairly cheap.

I went to a sheetmetal fab shop with my measurements and used stainless steel. $1000.00 to do the whole kitchen whereas a specialty kitchen place wanted about 4 or 5 k for the same job.

Cheers

Karrie
25th September 2004, 05:41 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I agree that it might attract too much muck, I was after the "look" though.

Luckily it is a brick and concrete building, so at least they won't go through the walls very easily. My son is doing all the hard work (like removing tiles from the bathroom walls!!) so he will not want to wreck the place.http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon11.gif

I will see what Laminex has to offer. Thanks for all the ideas.

Karrie