View Full Version : Hints with using old style 3 jaw chuck

28th May 2010, 12:04 AM
HI everyone,

Along with receiving a great load of turning timber the other week, a further pleasant surprise was in store. I've also scored a number of lathe chucks. These chucks appear to be an older style to my VM100 however. Better yet, they fit the MC900!

I have no idea what these are called, so I'll try to describe them. I've googled to no avail!

The chucks consist of a body which is around 4 cm long, and threaded to fit on the lathe drive spindle. It's generally cup shaped and has a tapering internal surface, The outside of the body is threaded to accept a collar ring. Between the collar and the body, it would appear that you insert various 3 jaw sets depending upon the job.

There are different jaw sets, the expansion jaws are held as a set by springs, the contraction jaws are loose.

As the collar is tightened against the body, the expansion jaws are spread apart by a conical insert placed between the body and the jaw set. The contraction jaws are pulled together by the taper machined in the body.

So, after all that, if anyone recognises these from my somewhat vague description, what are these types of chucks called, does anyone still use them and are there any hints or ticks in using them? :rolleyes:

28th May 2010, 06:49 PM
It is called a 6 in 1 chuck put out by Sorby in the mid- to late 80s.

There should be a solid insert as well that takes a screw chuck.

28th May 2010, 09:38 PM
I've a similar set It was given to me by a friend, But I don't use it as it's to slow to set Up. Mine as a 3/4 UNF thread.
Cheers Tony.:)

28th May 2010, 10:45 PM
Commonly known as a "Collet chuck" I believe :;

28th May 2010, 11:50 PM

Will have a go this weekend and see how it goes.


29th May 2010, 01:06 PM
The expanding one is similar to the chuck that comes with the leady lathe. I find it very useful for faceplate work. Yours is made for record lathes in the UK. The Record Power Woodworking Machines and Accessories including Woodturning, Grinding, Bandsaw, Dust Extraction, Routing, Drilling and Mortice machinery. (http://www.recordpower.co.uk/?co=1&cswitch=1)
site should have some info on it. A strait sided recess is all that is required so is easier to do than the angled sided one to fit nova jaws. I use mine more the the nova for general bowl turning.

29th May 2010, 10:28 PM
is it similar to a cup chuck?