PDA

View Full Version : making a match to old moulding pattern

JDarvall
28th May 2010, 08:55 AM
Show off a bit of hand work that I'm proud of. enjoyed doing. Little different so I thought it was worth remembering.

the job was to create a 3m of cornice matching a bit I was supplied.

The problem was its of an old pattern that was too fiddly for most joinerys to bother doing. too much work for too little money sort of thing.

pic 1- so what I've done it dress up 3m of hoop pine...about 21x91....dock off the end at an angle to match the piece supplied ( couldn't cut up the supplied piece. gota go back). Screwed the 3m length to the bench from underside. Bit too long for my bench so I had to exstend the bench a bit temperarily first.

pic 2 and 3 - ....with the ends matching on angle I could simply scribe the profile over........then to get to depth instead of using my plough plane as usual, I tried a small trimmer router with a laser point bit.....just kept making repeatitive passes, exstending the fence gradually; changing depth to near profile.

pic 4 - then just planed to the line with a hollow and round, and a rebate plane, cleaning it all up.

pic 5 and 6 - then ran sandpaper up and down a bit.

haven't bothered taking a photo,,,,but I then ran a chamfer router down both sides of the back and planed up clean. uno how it sits up there in the ceiling there.

the whole job took 4hours on the dot and 15 bucks of timber.

Scribbly Gum
28th May 2010, 09:19 AM
Awesome work Jake.
Mate we have missed you.
Have you got a new worksop?
Looks to have more room than the old one.
I am really impressed with your windsor chairs and your website is superb.
Congratulations
SG

artme
28th May 2010, 09:37 AM
Now that is really worth skiting about!! Wonderful work.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

kevjed
28th May 2010, 09:39 AM
Well done Jake.
You should be proud of that. I like the method you used to duplicate the moulding. I'll store that one away for down the track.
Thanks again for sharing.
Kevin

munruben
28th May 2010, 09:47 AM
Terrific work Jake, great feeling when you achieve something like that. Very satisfying., thanks for sharing with us.:2tsup:

Waldo
28th May 2010, 10:56 AM
Great looking chairs on your site Jake. :2tsup:

Bob38S
28th May 2010, 11:11 AM
Nice job matching the cornice.

Your chairs look really good.

Woodwould
28th May 2010, 12:14 PM
Nicely executed Jake! :thyel:

Arron
28th May 2010, 05:12 PM
Just looked at your website for the first time. I love your chairs.
Arron

AlexS
28th May 2010, 07:41 PM
Nice work Jake - well thought out.

Hardenfast
28th May 2010, 09:00 PM
I haven't been here for ages, Jake. Like yourself I've been busy with new ventures etc, but I'm glad I managed to view your moulding project. You make it look too easy, my friend.

I checked our your website - also most impressive! Your Windors I mean - not the website - although that's impressive too. Next time I'm up in your neck of the woods I'll make a point of calling in to say hello and put my hands on some of your creations. You know, to see if can absorb some of your craftsman's mojo.

Most inspiring to see that you've managed to create a business which incorporates your passion. I hope it goes well for you.

Wayne

underfoot
29th May 2010, 06:02 AM
clever bugger :oo:.very nicely done Jake :2tsup:

JDarvall
29th May 2010, 08:15 AM
ta. hope not too much of a showoff.

I've got a new shed. things finally coming together now.

thanks.

Clinton1
31st May 2010, 01:31 AM
As usual, great work.

Gotta say, the learning curve goes up higher when you start a thread. :)

Christos
2nd June 2010, 05:27 PM
That is some very nice work. Really like it. Just goes to show what hand work can do and not to fully depend on the machine to complete a task.

JDarvall
3rd June 2010, 09:09 AM
ta. but it ant that flash when you break the proceedure down.

its just not practical to make short machine runs of unusual profiles.

still cost the lady a fair bit for it. she paid $100 for it. about $30/m .....better than the alternative I spose.....she was told by a joiner that if she pulled down the existing moulding they'd do up cornice to cover the whole room for her for $230 ..but in one of their set profiles.