PDA

View Full Version : fight with a chainsaw.

weisyboy
31st May 2010, 07:54 PM
got into a bit of a scuffle with the chainsaw this morning.

i was making a few cuts into the end of a log (length ways) and i was then gunna dock teh end off resulting in some chocks for teh mill. did one lot but didnt even get the first cut done on the second set when the saw kicked back my had sliped off the top handle and went straight into the chain.

i immediately clinched my fist to stop the bleeding and put the saw down.

thaught to myself "this is gunna be bad" walked over to the ute fist still clinched blood dripping between my fingers. got the pathetic excuse for a first aid kit out. nothing in it but band-aids and an eye patch.

decided to unclench my fist and check out the damage. it was surprisingly good. a bit of shreded skin on the outside of my thumb, took most of the top layer with a few deeper cuts, nothing 6 or 7 band-aids couldn't fix.

none the less i got teh chemist to make me up a decent first aid kit at lunch time. with bandages and decent dressings in it.

mic-d
31st May 2010, 08:17 PM
sh*t mate, that was lucky. Had a tetanus shot lately? Hope you're back to it soon.

Cheers
Michael

weisyboy
31st May 2010, 08:27 PM
iv had 3 shots in the last 4 years.

didnt stop me from working iv got orders to fill. id have to lose a leg to stop now.

might go down tomorrow and get a stitch in one of the cuts if i get time.

Travis Edwards
31st May 2010, 08:42 PM
seriously Carl you and powertools should never be allowed to mix. You should have learnt from the incident a few months ago with the file in the foot, and all the other incidents.

Sure it was handle of the chainsaw your hand slipped off of?...lol:D

Just kidding mate, hope you aren't too badly damaged and it heals quickly. lemme guess it was that husqvarna that hates ya so bad that bit ya.

artme
31st May 2010, 08:47 PM
Be bloody careful mate! too soon for the forum to give you up to that great mill in the sky!:p

Travis Edwards
31st May 2010, 08:47 PM
iv had 3 shots in the last 4 years.

didnt stop me from working iv got orders to fill. id have to lose a leg to stop now.

might go down tomorrow and get a stitch in one of the cuts if i get time.

Tomorrow will be too late to stitch it mate the necrotic tissue would have formed by then and it will not take a stitch. I usually carry a needle and thread in my glovebox so as long as i have one hand left I can stitch myself up. Ask your chemist about some decent wound stitching needles 'cause the dressmakers ones are not much chop to try and push through flesh and carry a lighter to sterilise them with.:2tsup:

weisyboy
31st May 2010, 08:49 PM
na mate only the little 026AV about 30 mins after it did this it blew the engine gasket.:((

iv had a bad run with the chainsaws only one of the 6 is running properly:((

mic-d
31st May 2010, 08:53 PM
Tomorrow will be too late to stitch it mate the necrotic tissue would have formed by then and it will not take a stitch. I usually carry a needle and thread in my glovebox so as long as i have one hand left I can stitch myself up. Ask your chemist about some decent wound stitching needles 'cause the dressmakers ones are not much chop to try and push through flesh and carry a lighter to sterilise them with.:2tsup:

eewwww. :faint:

dai sensei
31st May 2010, 08:54 PM
I am surprised you slipped off the top handle, but the chain stop guard didn't stop your hand. Let me guess, no gloves either :rolleyes:

Be ever so carefull, chainsaws are so unforgiving, and we don't want to lose you mate :no:.

Hope it heals fast.

weisyboy
31st May 2010, 09:06 PM
I am surprised you slipped off the top handle, but the chain stop guard didn't stop your hand.

i dont wrap my thumb under the handle as i have to twist my hand since they reattached that finger the muscles are a bit short.

:Bi there is no chain break on teh 026AV anymore.

Travis Edwards
31st May 2010, 09:08 PM
Honestly I have only ever cut myself with a chainsaw once, It was one of them electric buggers and it had run the chain off between the bar and the body of the saw (don't ask me how it has me astonished to this day!" and me being me decided that I would pull the chain backwards by hand (done it a thousand times when sharpening and inspecting etc.) slipped and tore some BIG chunks out, needless to say I only roll it forwards now. This said I have seen some very nasty wounds inflicted on people, many of them amateurs but also some pros who use them a lot. Makes me think I should buy some chaps and maybe some steel cap boots now, maybe a face mask as well, and stop cutting firewood in shorts and thongs...lol (just joking about the thongs and shorts!!!)

weisyboy
31st May 2010, 09:17 PM
normaly its teh next day when i get down to teh docs for stiches cos im out in the middle of no ware cutting. they just scrape/recut either side of the wound and stitch it back up.

this is teh second chainsaw inflicted injury i have had. the last time i sliced my knee down to the cap.

by the time you put on all the safety gear your flat out walking let alone using a chainsaw.

thats is nothing wrong with shorts and thongs so long as the shorts are cut off jeans, the thongs don't match and your wearing a flany with teh sleves cut off and no buttons.

Travis Edwards
31st May 2010, 09:24 PM
normaly its teh next day when i get down to teh docs for stiches cos im out in the middle of no ware cutting. they just scrape/recut either side of the wound and stitch it back up.

this is teh second chainsaw inflicted injury i have had. the last time i sliced my knee down to the cap.

by the time you put on all the safety gear your flat out walking let alone using a chainsaw.

thats is nothing wrong with shorts and thongs so long as the shorts are cut off jeans, the thongs don't match and your wearing a flany with teh sleves cut off and no buttons.

Sounds like you need me to intervene and take all them sharp things off your hands Carl:doh:..... its alright you can thank me for saving your life later....rotfl:D

Calm
31st May 2010, 09:26 PM
Carl you should put the chain break on that would save your hand slipping off. it is also good to be able to put the break on when you are moving around ..

- you know i would never use one in thongs and shorts :no::no: or without chaps, boots, SAFETY glasses, gloves, earmuffs, long sleeves, hat :oo::oo:

and my hand on it:D:D

cheers

Travis Edwards
31st May 2010, 09:31 PM
Ya forgot the sunscreen Dave.... or was that vaseline?:oo:

weisyboy
31st May 2010, 09:39 PM
we lent it to someone and it didnt come back, we had to go dig it out from under a log.:((

Woody60
1st June 2010, 07:22 AM
Careful Carl we don't want to lose you

Sigidi
1st June 2010, 09:01 AM
Sheese Carl, bloody look after yourself will ya!!!:o

johnnyroberts
1st June 2010, 06:15 PM
For a smart bloke (and you are) that was a dumb thing to do. It is the very reason chainbreaks were brought in and one's without were outlawed. I recon you were lucky not to loose your hand. Be a bit hard to fill orders then, Glad you are okay cheers

Woody60
1st June 2010, 06:24 PM
Carl
You said there would be pics??????

Big Splinter
1st June 2010, 06:32 PM
Lucky, Very Lucky! :doh:

Keep your hands and fingers, you'll need them to get the other 5 chainsaws working.:D

Glad it was not too bad.

Cheers
Tom

weisyboy
1st June 2010, 06:49 PM
the 26 is teh only one still going that dosent have a chain break we retired teh old 034 replaced with a slightly newer one.

got 2 of the saws going today. the 3120 and 034av

ms210 is being a basturd at the moment and i need it to cut mortices.
026av has blown the exhaust gasket and the main engine gasket.
old 034 is beyond repair
and iv given up on the old husky in the shed.
gave one old husky away a few weeks back
little electric makita still going strong.

Travis Edwards
2nd June 2010, 06:32 PM
the 26 is teh only one still going that dosent have a chain break we retired teh old 034 replaced with a slightly newer one.

got 2 of the saws going today. the 3120 and 034av

ms210 is being a basturd at the moment and i need it to cut mortices.
026av has blown the exhaust gasket and the main engine gasket.
old 034 is beyond repair
and iv given up on the old husky in the shed.
gave one old husky away a few weeks back
little electric makita still going strong.

I have seen full rebuild kits for the 034 which will make them into an 036 for prices varying between 80 and 200 dollars, they have the piston, jug, conrod, and all the gaskets etc. to make it work, can also get cranks etc. pretty cheap. I will send you some details on a mob I have dealt with.:2tsup: as long as the old 034 is physically sound externally it can be fixed

Travis Edwards
2nd June 2010, 06:34 PM
we lent it to someone and it didnt come back, we had to go dig it out from under a log.:((

What the vaseline???

weisyboy
2nd June 2010, 07:33 PM
no the 026

if you could send that info that would be great.

its sitting there all thats rong is the housing gasket is gone (they were a solid cast aluminium housing in 2 halves so bar oil leakis into sump and fuel gets into bar oil. also it cant build up pressure in the sump as it blows out.

this caused the scoring i belive.

weisyboy
2nd June 2010, 07:46 PM
K&T Parts House Lawn Mower Parts and Chain Saw & Trimmer Parts (http://www.mymowerparts.com/partdetail/1141/15193.php)

that would be the one. but im not sure witch that is is it the one for an 036 or 034.:?

Travis Edwards
2nd June 2010, 09:07 PM
It fits both they are a generic (not genuine stihl) part. The only real difference between the 034 and the 036 was that the 034 had a 46 mm piston and bore and the 036 was 48 mm. There was a couple of minor casting differences but the generic parts will fit either, there are some other ones that require some minor work to be done on the crankcase of an 034 that will fit both also, The gasket you were talking about I have seen on ebay for about a dollar US:2tsup: the mob I was reffering to was named "garden hire spares" on fleabay they were poms and were about half the price of that listing you posted

Travis Edwards
2nd June 2010, 09:16 PM
eBay Australia Shop - Stihl. TS400. TS350. TS360. TS410. spares. part.: briggs and stratton. westwood. countax. honda. partner. (http://stores.shop.ebay.com.au/Spares-for-all-seasons__W0QQ_armrsZ1)

weisyboy
2nd June 2010, 09:42 PM
thanks

martrix
5th June 2010, 06:09 PM
...... id have to lose a leg to stop now.

which wont be far off the way you operate.

weisyboy
5th June 2010, 07:34 PM
which wont be far off the way you operate.

:((

whats wrong with the way i operate.

tlbsg
6th June 2010, 12:29 AM
i wonder if carls ever cut himself buttering his toast first thing in the morning:D

martrix
6th June 2010, 12:54 PM
:((

whats wrong with the way i operate.

nuffin mate, you're a star! You should see if you can team up with Russell Coight. He is also an All Aussie legend.:2tsup:

itsposs
8th June 2010, 07:06 PM
pmsl how much timber you got left to cut an how far from Gympie are you

weisyboy
10th June 2010, 08:23 PM
ill be working the mill and falling/skidding up there for the next 12 months or more.

i am currently looking at a new mill and we are installing a fixed mill at scotchy pocket.

we are working any ware from the wide bay highway north to tiro or a bit farther and out as far as boondooma (2.5 hours west of gympie).

Travis Edwards
11th June 2010, 09:58 PM
ill be working the mill and falling/skidding up there for the next 12 months or more.

i am currently looking at a new mill and we are installing a fixed mill at scotchy pocket.

we are working any ware from the wide bay highway north to tiro or a bit farther and out as far as boondooma (2.5 hours west of gympie).

Just keep your fingers away from it Carl, we would all hate the delay of you typing with a stick stuck between your teeth...lol

Just kidding mate hope it goes well :cool:

weisyboy
11th June 2010, 10:50 PM
im sure i would type quite well with no hands. might improve my spelling.

Travis Edwards
11th June 2010, 10:54 PM
im sure i would type quite well with no hands. might improve my spelling.

Then your spelling might match your sterling sense of humor.

Keep posting mate, it is always good to have a laugh with ya.:2tsup:

Sigidi
14th June 2010, 11:10 AM
Your'e a funny sod Carl :D

weisyboy
14th June 2010, 06:04 PM
yer i am pertty funny hey:U. its one of teh best out of all my good points.:2tsup:

another is modesty.:doh:

weisyboy
14th June 2010, 06:45 PM
here is on pic not good and dosent

Travis Edwards
14th June 2010, 08:39 PM
IS THAT IT???? hey carl pm me your postal address I got something I want to send ya!!!