Entry Number 6
by
pjt

Best Novice Entry
The judges voted Entry Number 2
by
Timberbits

So...........that's it for this Challenge
Would the following members please contact me via PM with their snail mail details

Robert Brown
Sculptured Box
Billy Boydes
Timberbits

Thanks to all the entrants particularly the "NOVICES"

Eldanos of KDM
1st June 2010, 12:26 AM
Congrats everyone, Great stuff.
I loooved Timberbits number 2
A simple and unique design which looks like it was partly designed by the burl itself :2tsup:

tea lady
1st June 2010, 12:35 AM
:wave: Well done everyone.

(And I got a highly commended. :yippee: :elefant: )

AlexS
1st June 2010, 08:16 AM
Well done to all.

Sculptured Box
1st June 2010, 08:39 AM
Congratulations to the winners, runners up and all who participated.

Particularly thanks go to the convenor and judges and our very generous benefactors. I suspect there were many hours devoted to this comp., thank you.

It is to be hoped that the next competition will encourage a whole lot more contestants.

Tony Ward

mic-d
1st June 2010, 09:22 AM
Congrats to all who entered. I liked the pen box too.:)

Cheers
Michael

RufflyRustic
1st June 2010, 09:31 AM
Congratulations to the winners! Thank you to Everyone who entered, voted, looked and most especially Thank You to The Admins and Mods who helped make this challenge work (not me this time).

:wtg::groupwave:

munruben
1st June 2010, 09:48 AM
Congratulations to all the winners. Well done.:2tsup::2tsup:

Billyboydes
1st June 2010, 10:49 AM
:2tsup: Well done to all, and a big thank you to the organizers and the sponsors. A lot of excitement at my shed!!

I hope that next time, more will take the time to enter and vote.
regards
Billy :U

dai sensei
1st June 2010, 08:13 PM
:brava :wtg:

mic-d
1st June 2010, 08:24 PM
hey! so entry 12 was a Ruffly entry? I wouldn't have guessed that. You're really branching out and I like where it's going.:2tsup:

Cheers
Michael

Cliff Rogers
1st June 2010, 09:46 PM
:2tsup:

pjt
2nd June 2010, 02:57 AM
Well done all:2tsup:
Pete

Rattrap
2nd June 2010, 08:53 AM
Well done everyone, congratz to the winners! :2tsup::2tsup:

robert brown
2nd June 2010, 06:52 PM
A BIG THANKYOU TO THE ORGANIZERS AND THE PRIZE DONATORS.
I WOULD LIKE TO SEE A LOT MORE ENTRIES. THANS AGAIN. :2tsup:

Barrie Restall
2nd June 2010, 09:21 PM
Congratulations to all the winners and to those who took time to enter. A lot of those boxes were "winners" even if they didnt get a prize.

Barrie Restall

springwater
2nd June 2010, 10:04 PM
:2tsup: Yeah well done to all those that entered and had a crack, It'd be interesting to know if any of the entrants didn't think it was worthwhile having a go as I reckon these things give much more than they take, skills aside being involved certainly activates the grey matter.

:whatonearth: I'm bordering on astonishment there weren't more entrants, maybe there should be a poll on why people don't want to enter these things, maybe you'd get a false reading though :think:

:rolleyes: Um...from someone who didn't enter...got a good excuse though...but it's just an excuse :-

tea lady
3rd June 2010, 12:27 AM
:2tsup: Yeah well done to all those that entered and had a crack, It'd be interesting to know if any of the entrants didn't think it was worthwhile having a go as I reckon these things give much more than they take, skills aside being involved certainly activates the grey matter.

:whatonearth: I'm bordering on astonishment there weren't more entrants, maybe there should be a poll on why people don't want to enter these things, maybe you'd get a false reading though :think:

:rolleyes: Um...from someone who didn't enter...got a good excuse though...but it's just an excuse :-:think: You could have entered your shed in the "Pine Box" section perhaps.:D

I like entering challenges cos A dead line kinda focuses the mind. And designing to someone else's criteria, I always find, stimulates a new direction. Not that I need yet another direction.:rolleyes:

mic-d
3rd June 2010, 07:43 AM
I always find, stimulates a new direction. Not that I need yet another direction.:rolleyes:

It's not so much that you take a new direction, more like a new rotation. :D

You could add dj-ing to pottery and turning. Yo mama, you could be tea ladilicioius...:p:D

Cheers
Michael

Sculptured Box
3rd June 2010, 08:45 AM
Why enter competitions?

(1) to try and create a work that extends the grey matter and to develop new skills;

(2) there is a deadline, which is a good discipline;

(3) to participate with other members of our community, a sense of belonging;

(4) and because of Neil our host, a bloke who brings us together ~ our community, entering this competition is a very small price to say thank you and to support the Woodwork Forums.

(5) to learn from the results

Tony Ward

Billyboydes
3rd June 2010, 09:52 AM
I agree with Tony but add,

(5) to learn

Hence I believe the Judges scores and rationale would be worthwhile to understand the major differences in the voting.

regards
Billy

Sculptured Box
3rd June 2010, 10:15 AM
Happy to add Billy's No. 5 to my list of the why to!

Re Billy's further comment ~ "Hence I believe the Judges scores and rationale would be worthwhile to understand the major differences in the voting." I am not sure I agree with this proposition as their discussion is generally "held in camera" that is they should remain private.

There is of course an opportunity for their rationale, e.g. a demonstration of how they arrived at their decision, if they are engaged to create the rules for the following competition.

I hope that makes sense?

Tony Ward

WWF Box Challenge
3rd June 2010, 10:26 AM
Yep.....all that makes sense.
So during the day.....I'll get together the judges comments on each entry and post them here.
Bear with me, and I'll "git 'er done".

Billyboydes
3rd June 2010, 11:35 AM
So during the day.....I'll get together the judges comments on each entry and post them here.
Bear with me, and I'll "git 'er done".

Thank you "he or she who cannot be named" appreciate your efforts.
regards
Billy :U

WWF Box Challenge
3rd June 2010, 10:01 PM
Happy to add Billy's No. 5 to my list of the why to!

Re Billy's further comment ~ "Hence I believe the Judges scores and rationale would be worthwhile to understand the major differences in the voting." I am not sure I agree with this proposition as their discussion is generally "held in camera" that is they should remain private.

There is of course an opportunity for their rationale, e.g. a demonstration of how they arrived at their decision, if they are engaged to create the rules for the following competition.

I hope that makes sense?

Tony Ward

OK that didn't work out really well..........a couple of the Judges don't feel comfortable with that idea.....and another I have been able to contact. (non-member)
So..instead.
Here are the Judging criteria used in this Challenge, which are exactly the same as the criteria used in the 2008 Challenge.

Creativity
Workmanship
Originality
Aesthetics
Finish

Each entry has been given marks out of 10 on each of those points
So......5 judging points.......gives us marks out of 50 for each entry.
50% poll.....50% Judges...makes the maths easy.

I hope that makes it easier.

tea lady
3rd June 2010, 11:44 PM
It's not so much that you take a new direction, more like a new rotation. :D

You could add dj-ing to pottery and turning. Yo mama, you could be tea ladilicioius...:p:D

Cheers
Michael:? You've lost me. :C Do you mean just do things to things that go around in circles? :hmm: ........:D I'm pretty good round a round about. :driving: :D

Bear with me, and I'll "git 'er done".That's a big job. :C If people want more general comments and feedback on their particular box maybe they could post them in the "critique" section. :shrug: I still haven't been game to do that. Have to be up for critical feedback as well as pats on the back. :C

Thanks for all your work Mr WWF Box Challenge. :bigkiss:

mic-d
4th June 2010, 08:30 AM
:? You've lost me. :C Do you mean just do things to things that go around in circles? :hmm: ........:D I'm pretty good round a round about. :driving: :D

post them in the "critique" section. :shrug: :

I hate having to explain a joke:D:rolleyes: you seem to like those 'circle' things (pottery wheel, lathe) I was just trying to think of more circular pursuits.:)
...roundabouts, spinning yarn, beating eggs, grinder on a yacht... that sort of thing.:D

there's a critique section???

Cheers
Michael

Rattrap
4th June 2010, 09:54 AM
OK that didn't work out really well..........a couple of the Judges don't feel comfortable with that idea.....and another I have been able to contact. (non-member)
I tend to agree with the judges, the last thing i think we need is to end up having a 'discussion' (read bung fight) over judges opinions.

DJ’s Timber
4th June 2010, 09:58 AM
...roundabouts, spinning yarn, beating eggs, grinder on a yacht... that sort of thing.:D

there's a critique section???

Not so much a section but a Sticky Thread in WOODTURNING - GENERAL - Woodwork Forums (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/) which is for turned objects, thread is located here, Critique pictures. Read 1st post (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/critique-pictures-read-1st-post-57523/)

Christos
4th June 2010, 12:41 PM
I also wish to add my congrats to the box makers.