PDA

View Full Version : Best Glue for Car Headlining

smidsy
26th September 2004, 07:03 PM
Hei Guys,
Can anyone recommend a good glue for car head lining - I have a Mitsubishi van that is suffering the typical Mitsubishi curse.
Cheers
Paul

TOMARTOM
26th September 2004, 07:18 PM
I have had good results from a 3M Spray called Super #77 Spray Adhesive. I have not used it on roof linings but it iseems to have a good bond bewteen disimilar materials. Don't buy an inferior spray adhesive go for the better brands as they seen to produce superior results.

regards tony

RETIRED
26th September 2004, 11:50 PM
Tom is right. Car trimmers use contact adhesive.

Would suggest going to trimmers and get them to do it. Fairly cheap and it should be done right.

Mongrel and messy job IMHO. :D

ubeaut
27th September 2004, 12:07 AM
Contact adhesive made by bostik was made for just that job and used for years by most car manufacturers. The spray stuff might not be the right one for this application. Works well but probably doesn't have the right holding qualities for this job.

As rightly says it's a B messy job and one best left to a motor trimmer.

Cheers - Neil :D

Chum
27th September 2004, 10:07 PM
Contact adhesive made by bostik was made for just that job and used for years by most car manufacturers. The spray stuff might not be the right one for this application. Works well but probably doesn't have the right holding qualities for this job.

As rightly says it's a B messy job and one best left to a motor trimmer.

Cheers - Neil :D
I agree with Neil. Having working in the motor industry since Adam was a boy (retired to the public service in recent years) Bostik contact adhesive was widely used. Rolls Royce in the UK also used contact adhesive for this purpose. The trick is to cut the headlining larger than required so u have a good portion to hold onto and stretch it nice and tight.

Chum