PDA

View Full Version : red gum

bowl-basher
1st June 2010, 08:09 PM
Finished this Mortar & petzal (not sure of the spelling or even the right name:no:) today... as it is to be used for herbs and such I have finished it to 600 and then burnished with paraffin oil and 1200 wet and dry paper with a final buff on a dry wheel
The timber is red gum and it is 150mm outside dia and stands 100mm high
love your comments
Bowl-Basher
PS SWMBO continues to improve .... thanks for all the kind thoughts:U

Chesand
1st June 2010, 08:16 PM
Nice work - I like it

(The correct name is "pestle")

texx
1st June 2010, 08:21 PM
looks niffty i like it , and i have wanted one of those for a long time and never thought of making one out of timber .
you could even call it a basher bowl if you wanted .
looks like i better make one , just need to take the chainsaw to work and grab a lump of red gum , :2tsup::2tsup:

mkypenturner
1st June 2010, 08:23 PM
great job there nice pieces of redgum:2tsup:

nalmo
1st June 2010, 08:32 PM
I have a nice big lump of redgum in the garage just calling out to me to be made into one of those.

artme
1st June 2010, 08:51 PM
Firstly glad to hear the oss is improving!:):)

Really like the mortar and pestle. The work is terrific and the whole combination looks suitably solid for the job.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Ad de Crom
2nd June 2010, 12:25 AM
Graham, that looks really great to me, well excecuted mortar and pestle.
Dense- and hard wood, that's the right choice.
My first turning (long time ago) was an oak mortar and pestle for my dear lady next door, she still use it :2tsup:
Cheers, Ad

wheelinround
2nd June 2010, 09:30 AM
Graham glad Jenny is on the mend you both have been in my thoughts.

Like the Red Gum I have one to make and was wondering what to use thought of English Oak being for herbs and if we can drink from it it has to be safe :U

Ray

Ed Reiss
2nd June 2010, 11:51 AM
Nicely done BB :2tsup: ...and, of course, it's main use will be for legal herbs and such - right :whistling:

Thoughts and prayers to your wife for a speedy recovery.

orraloon
2nd June 2010, 06:44 PM
Nice one BB. I did one a while back in ironbark. Old fence posts or firewood supply places are worth a look for good hard lumps of wood.
Regards
John

Texian
3rd June 2010, 01:04 PM
Very pretty.