PDA

View Full Version : Skews and gouges Turn-On 10th July.

Pages : [1] 2

RETIRED
2nd June 2010, 10:53 PM
About time we had another Turn-On.

My place either 10th or 11th July. Date will be finalised later.

It will start at 10.00AM and cover the use and sharpening of the skew and SPINDLE gouges for (real turning) spindle work.

Bring your chisels and gouges.

There should be enough lathes for hands on.

Usual thing: BYO own chairs and lunch. Tea and coffee provided.

All Forumites welcome.

tea lady
3rd June 2010, 12:17 AM
:doh:You've chosen the weekend I'll prolly be moving. :rolleyes: Quick! Change it to 2 weeks later.:D Otherwise someone else will have to make you cups of tea.:D

RETIRED
3rd June 2010, 08:15 AM
:doh:You've chosen the weekend I'll prolly be moving. :rolleyes: Quick! Change it to 2 weeks later.:D Otherwise someone else will have to make you cups of tea.:DWill put that in as an option as well then.:pOnly for the cuppas tho.

rsser
3rd June 2010, 10:57 AM
Cool. Those two weekends are good for me; later dates get harder.

Big Shed
3rd June 2010, 03:56 PM
Would like to attend but 26-27/6 not possible (SWMBO birthday function)

Would like to bring my wet grinder (Triton) as well to see how it compares.

Jack of
3rd June 2010, 08:05 PM
Tooradin huh........Might have to come and have a sticky:U

jefferson
3rd June 2010, 09:05 PM
, i know who Skew is (Andy) but who the hell is gouges.

Also what do i care about them being turned on ?:?:?:oo::D

Cheers

RETIRED
3rd June 2010, 09:52 PM
Date has been limited to 10th or 11th July.

Original post has been amended.

tea lady
3rd June 2010, 11:58 PM
Date has been limited to 10th or 11th July.

Original post has been amended.
Either one of those days are good for me. :cool: Choccy ripple cake too, I guess? :rolleyes: :D

powderpost
4th June 2010, 12:30 AM
, make it 19th June and I can come and play too.... :)
Jim

Ed Reiss
4th June 2010, 12:10 PM
dammitt, can't make it this time either...bummer:~

nalmo
4th June 2010, 10:22 PM
Jefferson, I think tea lady might be the only one we can refer to as gouges.

DJ’s Timber
4th June 2010, 10:28 PM
, make it 19th June and I can come and play too.... :)
Jim

I think it is worth looking at seeing if we can do one on the 19th June, even if it is just a mini Turn-On. I know its only 2 weeks away, but getting someone like powderpost to play or turn is worth it I reckon.

RETIRED
4th June 2010, 10:29 PM
Yep, working on it.

steck
7th June 2010, 11:32 PM
A good choice of subject as skews and I don't work together too well, yet.
But, unfortunately, I will be away , heading for the Simpson Desert.

tea lady
8th June 2010, 01:09 AM
jefferson, i think tea lady might be the only one we can refer to as gouges.:?.. .......:b

issatree
8th June 2010, 12:02 PM
Hi All,
Just a small reminder, the Weekend of the !8 - 19 - 20th. June, 2010 is the
" Woodturning Exhibition " at Nunawadding.
Regards,
issatree.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Calm
8th June 2010, 12:27 PM
Hi All,
Just a small reminder, the Weekend of the !8 - 19 - 20th. June, 2010 is the
" Woodturning Exhibition " at Nunawadding.
Regards,
issatree.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Issatree covered in this thread (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/powderpost-coming-melbourne-118923/)

cheers

Big Shed
8th June 2010, 01:59 PM
David that link goes to 's thread re powderposts' visit to Melbourne.

rsser
8th June 2010, 02:50 PM
Issatree, your post is known as a thread hijack. Cos it's got nothing to do with the original post.

Better to start a new one or link to an existing.

rsser
8th June 2010, 03:00 PM
PS, while I was dismissive about skews in an earlier post in a poor attempt at humour I should say that there are things you can do with them cleanly and quickly that I don't think anything else can do. Well, excepting maybe a detail gouge with an acute bevel angle for rolling a bead with little clearance.

is a master of the skew and we're privileged to have the chance to learn from him. For nix. In congenial company. With a choc ripple cake from TL as a bonus.

Can't wait.

Calm
8th June 2010, 03:16 PM
David that link goes to 's thread re powderposts' visit to Melbourne.

i know that DJ suggested a bbq and organised one for the 19th.

i thought issatree was referring to the 19th as a suggested bbq date.

btw i will try to get to yours whatever day it is.

cheers

rsser
14th June 2010, 04:32 PM
Whatever the date, I'll bring down a couple of skews with refined edges that'll make Tormek's look like crow bars. For to test.

tea lady
14th June 2010, 06:34 PM
Whatever the date, I'll bring down a couple of skews with refined edges that'll make Tormek's look like crow bars. For to test.:oo: Dueling skews? What sort of wood are we gonna test 'em on. Radiatta or Gidgee? :D

jefferson
14th June 2010, 06:46 PM
:oo: Dueling skews? What sort of wood are we gonna test 'em on. Radiatta or Gidgee? :D

Test on some of 's 50 year old sun-baked hardwood lamp posts???? :rolleyes:

rsser
14th June 2010, 06:51 PM
Up to .

I've had to eat my words about Tormek edge finishes; have just taken the same principle further.

Appreciate that it's horses for courses.

RETIRED
18th June 2010, 08:56 AM
Ok, sorry for the delay in responding.

The Skew challenge and comparo:

4 Skews;

1: A Henry Taylor 1" HSS sharpened on a 120# white wheel freehand.
2: A Bohler steel 3/4" sharpened but not honed on a Tormek.
3: A Bohler steel 3/4" sharpened and honed on a Tormek.
4: Erns SSS (super sharp skew).

The timber:

75mm square red gum 250mm long.

The test:

Using nothing but the skew, rough down, form cylinder, trim ends to square with cylinder, form a tenon using a peeling cut, on the other end roll a half bead and form 2 x 1/2" beads.

Continue doing the same until the chisel is blunt. This will be judged by other attendees. The clock will be stopped while this is assessed,

Resharpen using the the same method as original and make one pass to smooth cylinder. Test stops.

This will be timed from the time the lathe starts until it stops after the last cut.

tea lady
18th June 2010, 09:12 AM
So WHO is doing the skewing? :D

(and what is this Bohler steel you talk of? Those new ones you recently acquired? :thionk:

Big Shed
18th June 2010, 09:22 AM
Did I miss the announcement or has a firm date not been set yet?:wink:

jefferson
18th June 2010, 09:43 AM
I've got a Hamlet 25mm skew in ASP 2060 HHS if needed for the test. It would be interesting to see the difference, if any, between it and the Henry Taylor.

rsser
18th June 2010, 10:09 AM
:D Cunning.

My honed skews are HT: 1/2 and 1 1/4.

RETIRED
18th June 2010, 10:36 AM
So WHO is doing the skewing? :D

(and what is this Bohler steel you talk of? Those new ones you recently acquired? :thionk:Probably me to keep it consistent. Yep.

Did I miss the announcement or has a firm date not been set yet?:wink:No firm date yet, Want a consensus on either Sat or Sun 10th or 11th.

I've got a Hamlet 25mm skew in ASP 2060 HHS if needed for the test. It would be interesting to see the difference, if any, between it and the Henry Taylor.Yep that would be good.

I thought so too Ern but it is the only way I could think to test them out.

jefferson
18th June 2010, 11:42 AM
Getting in early - Saturday is probably best for me, .

I'll bring some stuff down in the trailer earlier in the week too if that's OK.

nalmo
18th June 2010, 11:52 AM
I can bring a P&N 25mm skew if you want an Aussie representative; sharpened using Tormek jig on a sparky grinder.

rsser
18th June 2010, 01:02 PM
So judging the performance will be on the basis both of time taken and final cut finish quality?

Grumpy John
18th June 2010, 01:14 PM
, that comparison test you have planned for the skews sounds like an excellent idea. I'm sorry that having to earn a living will keep me away from this event (used up all my time off on the Alaska trip :D,:((.) I was thinking that it would be a good if someone competent with a video camera could video the action and perhaps post it on uTube, for those of us not able to be there in person, just a thought.

rsser
18th June 2010, 01:36 PM
GJ's point is important.

This kind of testing is critical and at least some quality stills should be taken. Perhaps with a view to publishing the results in Australian Woodworker or AWR?

BTW Aust Woodworker June issue has an article on skews by John Ewart. The current AWR has a piece on gouges by R. Raffan (who quenches at the grinder :oo: )

tea lady
18th June 2010, 05:03 PM
Groggy is the utube expert.:cool: But it might be tricky filming someone movong faster that a sanding person.:D

I can bring an "oval" skew from one or those "cheapy" starter sets.:D

rsser
19th June 2010, 10:58 AM
Seems another contest should be planned; the battle of the big lumps of cast iron.

Yes, let's get back on topic.

RETIRED
19th June 2010, 11:15 PM
So judging the performance will be on the basis both of time taken and final cut finish quality?Yes.

I can bring an "oval" skew from one or those "cheapy" starter sets.:DYes

Yes, let's get back on topic.It is now,:wink::D

RETIRED
19th June 2010, 11:16 PM
I can bring a P&N 25mm skew if you want an Aussie representative; sharpened using Tormek jig on a sparky grinder.Yep, why not?:D

tea lady
20th June 2010, 09:50 AM
:C Sounds like there's gonna be a hell of a lot of redgum shavings. I hope Jefferson can cope. :D Maybe you should buy in a dust mask for him? :whistling:

:D

rsser
20th June 2010, 12:14 PM
Gee, 's gunna be working like a slave while we all look on :D

RETIRED
20th June 2010, 10:50 PM
Sat 10th looks like the date boys and girls.

Soren
20th June 2010, 11:23 PM
come Hell or High Water, I'll be there

letzzzgo
21st June 2010, 07:55 PM
I'm in. :2tsup:

Regards John

fozz
21st June 2010, 10:04 PM
me too

rsser
22nd June 2010, 01:42 PM
Goodo. What's the start time?

RETIRED
22nd June 2010, 03:48 PM
Be here at 9.30am for a 10am start.

mick61
22nd June 2010, 08:56 PM
G`day I will come too if possible and bring a record skew if that`s ok.
Mick:D

RETIRED
22nd June 2010, 09:10 PM
Yep. Gonna be a long day.:D

Groggy
22nd June 2010, 09:23 PM
Groggy is the utube expert.:cool: But it might be tricky filming someone movong faster that a sanding person.:DFar knee, fah nee :rolleyes: :p The glue drying vid is still going, could be an epic!

Don't know if I can make this one , I'll let you know a bit closer to the day if you don't mind.

Wouldn't mind taming that big 1" skew of mine. Any chance you could show me how to cut a nice even thread, instead of the uneven spirals I seem to cut? That's what a skew is for, isn't it? :whistling:

Big Shed
22nd June 2010, 09:29 PM
The emphasis of this turn on seems to have changed somewhat from the original in post #1, from use and sharpening of skews and spindles gouges to a skew comparison fest?

Would have made the (considerable) trip for the original intended exercise, not sure about this one though.

Kev Y.
22nd June 2010, 09:40 PM
Saturday the 10th works well for me, count me in. And I will bring down those woodcut gouges of mine :)

Kev

RETIRED
22nd June 2010, 10:26 PM
The emphasis of this turn on seems to have changed somewhat from the original in post #1, from use and sharpening of skews and spindles gouges to a skew comparison fest?

Would have made the (considerable) trip for the original intended exercise, not sure about this one though.Fred. We have a lot of time to do both including hands on.

RETIRED
22nd June 2010, 10:27 PM
PS , the tests will only occupy a short time.

RETIRED
22nd June 2010, 10:28 PM
Saturday the 10th works well for me, count me in. And I will bring down those woodcut gouges of mine :)

KevLook forward to that Kev.

joevan
3rd July 2010, 12:00 PM
Hello ,
I will be a starter as well. See you on Saturday.

Regards,
Joevan.

RETIRED
3rd July 2010, 12:33 PM
I look forward to that Joe.

nalmo
3rd July 2010, 12:47 PM
Count me in too please. As always, I'm sure there's plenty to learn.

Sturdee
3rd July 2010, 06:21 PM
Michelle and I will be there as well.

Peter.

Calm
3rd July 2010, 06:31 PM
Can i come too, i don't want to learn anything - i don't want to demonstrate anything either - i just want to talk sh** , eat the chocky ripple cake,consume numerous cups of tea & BBQ then go home - maybe laugh at the poor quality jokes if i got time.

cheers

RETIRED
3rd July 2010, 06:36 PM
Situation normal the Dave.:wink::D

Grumpy John
3rd July 2010, 06:41 PM
I'll try and get off early Saturday arvo, they'll owe me some time off by then.

rsser
3rd July 2010, 06:49 PM
Tell 'em you've got a pair of lost socks to retrieve GJ?

Bazza
4th July 2010, 11:33 AM
I am new to Melbourne I would like to attend also. But my GPS doesn't know your address

Barry

KenW
4th July 2010, 01:17 PM
, can we test the skew that you gave me for my 60th.
You will have to do the test to keep things consistent.

RETIRED
4th July 2010, 02:24 PM
I am new to Melbourne I would like to attend also. But my GPS doesn't know your address

BarryBarry. 2 Bayview Rd Tooradin.

RETIRED
4th July 2010, 02:25 PM
, can we test the skew that you gave me for my 60th.
You will have to do the test to keep things consistent.Now that could be a real challenge for me. To see it, that is.:D

rsser
4th July 2010, 04:59 PM
i am new to melbourne i would like to attend also. But my gps doesn't know your address
barry

RETIRED
6th July 2010, 11:53 AM
Jim Carroll will be attending so if you wish him to bring an order for you, order before Thursday night.

RETIRED
7th July 2010, 09:40 AM
Remember to bring:
your spindle gouges and skews.
Chair and lunch. BBQ will be there as usual.
SAFETY GLASSES OR FACE SHIELD.
A sense of humour.

rsser
8th July 2010, 02:44 PM
My sense of humour just drove me out to the shed to check the condition of my two precision surgical instruments :D

And to redo one and I'm pondering the other.

A 1 1/4" skew wont fit into either the closed or open seats of the Tormek just for info. You have to centre and clamp it with the top screw, by eye. Now I'd just do this to get a hollow grind for refining on the waterstones, but in my book it's another minus for the hallowed T 'system'.

Anyway, those are the lead weights in my saddle for Sat.

It's a grand thing is doing with these comparo's.

RETIRED
8th July 2010, 10:24 PM
A 1 1/4" skew wont fit into either the closed or open seats of the Tormek just for info. You have to centre and clamp it with the top screw, by eye. Now I'd just do this to get a hollow grind for refining on the waterstones, but in my book it's another minus for the hallowed T 'system'.

It's a grand thing is doing with these comparo's.It will fit Ern, you just have to think a bit outside the square.

I am lucky that all my skews are the same thickness (1/4" or 6mm). so this is how I solved the problem.

I could never get them square in the closed seat either so I shimmed each side of the jig to hold them straight.

Remove the brass bit. In my case I had to thin the screw a little bit to be able to pass between the shims to hold a 3/4" but I found by putting a 3" nail on top of the chisel it worked just as well.

Tiger
8th July 2010, 11:17 PM
, I'm going to try and get down on the 10th depending on if I can get access to another car. I was hoping to do some faceplate work with the emphasis on finishing shear cuts, is there time for that?

RETIRED
8th July 2010, 11:27 PM
We will try but it is mainly about real turning.:D

mick61
9th July 2010, 05:07 PM
G`day it looks like i am going to miss out again the sith lords require my assistance in there pirsuit of captalism to the inth degree.
cheers Mick:D
Have fun:cool:

Tiger
9th July 2010, 05:16 PM
We will try but it is mainly about real turning.:D

I am committed in the morning, what time would you be doing the unreal turning :)? And which unreal turners will be present?

Farnk
9th July 2010, 07:50 PM
Hi all,

Leave pass has been granted - I'm looking forward to meeting you and putting some faces to forum names!

Very interested in getting some tips!

Allan at Wallan
9th July 2010, 08:12 PM
Can i come too, i don't want to learn anything - i don't want to demonstrate anything either - i just want to talk sh** , eat the chocky ripple cake,consume numerous cups of tea & BBQ then go home - maybe laugh at the poor quality jokes if i got time.

cheers

Sorry David, I can't make this one so therefore the quality of any
jokes will be improved.:2tsup:

Hope it is a successful day (as usual) .

Allan

Calm
9th July 2010, 08:41 PM
Sorry David, I can't make this one so therefore the quality of any
jokes will be improved.:2tsup:

Hope it is a successful day (as usual) .

Allan

Well if you aren't going then neither am i. :no::no:

Actually been crook for the past 3 days and don't think i will be better tomorrow.

Have a good day.

Cheers

rsser
9th July 2010, 08:57 PM
Thanks for the Tormek tip . Appreciated.

I've had a tummy wog today; if I'm not there tomorrow it's because it's still in residence.

dai sensei
9th July 2010, 11:06 PM
Hope you all have a good time, mind you, no doubt in my mind :rolleyes:

Wish I could be down there, although the temperature down there doesn't exactly apeal, plus it sounds like you lot are coming down with something :-

Nah, if I had the money and the time I would be down in a flash :U

RETIRED
9th July 2010, 11:57 PM
Thanks Neil, the rest of you get better.

Tiger I am not sure but we will try to show you.

fozz
10th July 2010, 06:08 PM
Just got back from a most entertaining and informative day at Robbos place. Learnt about all things skew, ladies finger nails, things that go "catch" in the day and night and did abit of turning to boot.
Having not done any turning for over 30 years and even then not alot of it, today was a real confidence booster and I would like to thank for putting the day on and to the rest of the attendee's for the help, encouragement, knowledge and wit that flowed freely the whole day.

Looking forward to the next on, thanks again,

Ross.

rsser
10th July 2010, 06:17 PM
Yeah, thanks to , Jim and Ken as well.

Drugs kept me going til lunchtime and I was sorry to miss the skew testing session in the p.m.

Farnk
10th July 2010, 06:51 PM
Thanks to and everyone for a great day. Unfortunately I missed the morning part but found the arvo very entertaining and informative.

I picked up some pointers and will be hitting the shed over the next few days to practise my coves and beads between centres! Bowls? what Bowls?????

Of course now I have to come up with a plausible sounding story as to why the two bench grinders in the shed are now completely useless and need to be replaced with a tormek setup...:D SO has just found me at the pc looking up details..

But it's strange that with my spindle gouge re-shaped and sharpened I didn't try to strangle it anymore....

Grumpy John
10th July 2010, 06:53 PM
Thanks , Ken, Jim and Tea Lady for the informative and fun day. Sorry I missed the morning session, work commitments kept me away till 1:00 o'clock.

Some photo's so we can all put names to faces. Don't worry if you think you're seeing spots before your eyes it's just dust in the air getting caught in the flash.

If amyone can add names (real and forum) to the faces PM me and I can edit them into the post. If anyone wishes for their name and/or image to be removed, PM me and I will do so.

Front of picture, Sturdee, back of Soren, Brian (hands in pockets) talking to Ken. Ross in the background and Nalmo turning.

From left, Ross, Brian, Ken, Nalmo, Ian (chucky), PeterD Ken Wraight

Big Shed, and ??

Left to right, DJ, , Ken, Gary, Tea Lady, Soren

Big Shed

Brian, Ian and Peter.

Skew design for dummies.

DJ and Ken Wraight

Farnk and Bazza.

Nalmo, Ian, Soren and Big Shed

Farnk with Jims head and Brian.

Letzzzgo and Big Shed

DJ and Joe

Joe and Brian.

Left to right: Big Shed (front), Ross, Jim Carroll, Soren, Tiger, Nalmo, DJ, , Sturdee (sitting), Tea Lady (Anne Maria), Farnk, Brian (sitting) , Bazza, Ian, Max (sitting), PeterD, Letzzzgo (sitting), Joe, Ken Wraight, Ken

Soren
10th July 2010, 07:02 PM
5th Picture is "Big Shed"

Soren
10th July 2010, 07:04 PM
9th and elevents is "Farnk"

letzzzgo
10th July 2010, 07:07 PM
A great big thankyou to , Ken and Jim. What a day we all had, lots of information and some of the best demonstrations you could see. We all had a go at forming coves and rolling beads, with skew chisel and spindle gouges (some better than others!) I must confess, I wasn,t sure what a catch was until today! Lots of practice ahead of me:).
Thanks again boy's
Cheers John

Grumpy John
10th July 2010, 07:08 PM
5th Picture is "Big Shed"

Thanks Soren :2tsup:.

Soren
10th July 2010, 07:19 PM
after such a great day (albeit without ripple cake), I now find that I again have to email Jim for yet more supplies (Tormek stuff) :rolleyes:. These "get-togethers' always seem to involve subsequent expenditure of "necessities". This event has highlighted the absolute requirement of additional jigs, black wheel, additional bar etc. :;.

nalmo
10th July 2010, 07:26 PM
Thanks again to everyone for a great day. Nalmo (Alan) in the black jacket with yellow band.

Got home & resharpened my detail gouge to a flatter shape at the sharp end (a new technical term I learned today). Now it turns beads & coves with ease.

If anyone wants a copy of pics below, let me know your email & file size you want.

Grumpy John
10th July 2010, 07:28 PM
Five weeks from initial post to a turnup like we had today, what a fantastic effort. Too bad those Sydneysiders (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/sydney-august-116966/) can't get organised :D:rolleyes:.

In the interest of interstate friendship the moderators may find it necessary to delete this post.

Sturdee
10th July 2010, 08:23 PM
What a great day it was. Despite the cold another great turnout. Learned a lot and had great fellowship, renewed old acquaintance and made new friends.

Thanks for putting up with us.

Peter.

Farnk
10th July 2010, 09:05 PM
A few pix from the day as well..

Big Shed
10th July 2010, 09:34 PM
Thanks go to , Ken and Jim for a great day and some one-on-one tuition, both turning wise and sharpening wise.

Ken transformed the weirdest looking grind (produced by yours truly) on a spindle gouge ever produced, to an extremely professional looking grind. Thanks Ken.

Had a great day, learned a lot, met lots of new people (great to put faces to so many forumites:2tsup:)

Had some trouble convincing myself to drive 2 1/2 - 3 hours to this event, but it was more than worth it.

Thanks again guys:2tsup::2tsup::D

powderpost
10th July 2010, 11:11 PM
Damm.. only missed it by three weeks... :(( :D
Jim

Tiger
10th July 2010, 11:23 PM
Thanks to , Ken and Jim for a great day. I always learn something at these get-togethers and 's hospitality and preparation were terrific.
Great to chat with Ken and particularly enjoyable was and Ken contradicting each other on tool usage, grinds and just about everything else :D.