PDA

View Full Version : myrtle burl

pjt
3rd June 2010, 01:29 AM
Hi all,
Last Sat. I sliced up one of my lumps of myrtle burl, I wanted to cut it radially so I had to roll it onto it's side so one of the cut faces was up, a sling and a lever block tied to the ute did the work:2tsup:

After cutting out a bit of rot from what would have been the center of the tree, it's ready for a cutting and it looks OK inside a bit of crap here and there

A few more pics of inside

I wanted to cut it radially as this looked like I might get best continuity of figure and I also wanted to cut down the flutes (in between the lumps/burls) I didn't want to have two slabs with half a burl on each:no:, so I simply packed up one side of my rails, I let the cracks in the ends of the stump guide me as to how much
the down side to this is wedge shaped slabs and when I come to slice them up later I'll have a tapering slice at the finish of the slab but I figure nothing ventured nothing gained and I think it will be of benefit, What do others think?

And this is the last piece which is still a fair lump

Pete

BobL
3rd June 2010, 02:16 AM
They sure are some nice looking pieces of wood there Pete.
Great colour!

artme
3rd June 2010, 09:13 AM
:o:o:o

Any leftovers may be sent to me. That will save you the cost of going to the tip and paying tip fees.:p:p

chowcini
3rd June 2010, 07:15 PM
looks like rubbish to me........ ill pick them up and take em to the tip for you:U

good score!!!!!!!!!!!!!

benupton
3rd June 2010, 10:04 PM
That figure is incredible.:2tsup::2tsup:

Stopper
4th June 2010, 11:30 AM
I reckon that's the best way to cut it. Sure you end up with the odd wedged off cut but to cut it the other way would yield less usable timber and not show that radial pattern you have achieved.

Very nice

cheers
Steve

Travis Edwards
4th June 2010, 10:57 PM
Nice bit of wood PJT, What were you planning on using it for if you do not mind me asking? I.E. what was the reasoning for cutting it to the dimensions that you did.

Bet some bowl turners would have liked to get their grubby mitts on some bits of it. probably not the sort of dimensions they would want now though, which is why I was asking why you cut it the way you did.

pjt
5th June 2010, 11:21 PM
Hi Travis,
No specific dimensions as such, main thing was to cut it into more manageable sizes:rolleyes: mind u a slab 125 thick (the first one) was about all I could manage to shuffle about on it's end, no way I could lift it:(, next one came off at 100 thick, oooohhh yeh and that made all the difference to lifting it:p, not, first two were parallel, and the next two were tapered, mainly I was trying to achieve a few things, to cut in between the lumps so I got the majority of the lump on one slab, and to cut it radially as I thought this might be the best way to maintain the fan pattern (lefthandside in this pic), which I think happened, all the slabs have it, it looks like something occoured to the tree at the base of the fan which caused the burl, it looks like it was straight grain prior to the something...

I want to bandsaw veneers from it, just a bit unsure whether I am gonna end up with massivily wrinkly sheets of unusable stuff, based on what I've seen so far it moves a fair bit as it dries:C I think a few experiments will have to be done to see what works best:wink: unless someone knows:wink::wink::D