PDA

View Full Version : Verandah T&G

neddy
27th September 2004, 11:47 AM
Hi.....I've just finished laying Jarrah T&G for my front verandah flooring. Seeing that a verandah is going to be hard wearing should I sand the boards to get them all level before using a finishing oil/stain or just let the wear and tear level them over the years.............we're only talking about 1 mm between some of the boards. If so should I get my trusty Festo orbital sander on to it or something like a floor sander would use....like a drum sander. Thanks.

seriph1
29th September 2004, 08:05 PM
hell, what was wrong with the boards????? were they second handies from a mixed batch or something?

Hope you didnt make my mistake wehn doing my first bit of flooring - I didnt realise the toungues and grooves were asymetrical, so just laid the boards as they were handed to me ....... no that couldnt be it - those were out by more than 1mm. .... I still cringe when I think about my stoopidity

:D
IMO sanding will be necessary if the difference is 1mm though ..... feet, shoes etc could easily catch on that - I feel the trusty festo (beautiful tools) will do the job, if you have a week to do it ..... Jarrah is very hard as you would know by now ..... I guess, just try it on a bit and see how it goes, but I would be going for a morning-hire of a floor sander.

Will come up a treat though I reckon! Sounds like a Victorian or Edwardian front verandah job :)

Cheers