PDA

View Full Version : A book to read before you start

jmk89
4th June 2010, 12:30 PM
Anyone who has read Joshua Slocum's book about restoring his own boat and then sailing it around the world single-handed (which he was the first person to do) knows how attractive the idea of adopting and restoring a classic boat can be. It touches the romantic nerve in almost anyone.

I am in the middle of reading Daniel Robb's Sloop which discusses his restoration of a Herreshoff H-12 1/2 which had been owned by his family for almost 70 years. While it is tinged with romantic thoughts (particularly about Cape Cod, where the book takes place), it also provides a very good and well-balanced description of the hard work involved and how the task comes to occupy the restorer's mind like a cuckoo in another bird's nest (it also gives good advice on steam bending white oak to replace the frames). I recommend it as a good read for those who are contemplating this kind of project as well as for anyone who likes stories about boats and the Maritime States of the USA

chippy 71
4th June 2010, 05:53 PM
Anyone who has read Joshua Slocum's book about restoring his own boat and then sailing it around the world single-handed (which he was the first person to do) knows how attractive the idea of adopting and restoring a classic boat can be. It touches the romantic nerve in almost anyone.

I am in the middle of reading Daniel Robb's Sloop which discusses his restoration of a Herreshoff H-12 1/2 which had been owned by his family for almost 70 years. While it is tinged with romantic thoughts (particularly about Cape Cod, where the book takes place), it also provides a very good and well-balanced description of the hard work involved and how the task comes to occupy the restorer's mind like a cuckoo in another bird's nest (it also gives good advice on steam bending white oak to replace the frames). I recommend it as a good read for those who are contemplating this kind of project as well as for anyone who likes stories about boats and the Maritime States of the USA

Jeremy, where did you get the book Sloop from, did you buy it or get it from a Library?

I have just checked our Library system and they don't have it, any suggestions.

Colin.

jmk89
4th June 2010, 06:29 PM
My copy was a gift, but you can buy it from Booktopia (http://www.booktopia.com.au/sloop-restoring-my-family-s-wooden-sailboat-an-adventure-in-old-fashioned-values/prod9780743202510.html)

chippy 71
4th June 2010, 08:59 PM
My copy was a gift, but you can buy it from Booktopia (http://www.booktopia.com.au/sloop-restoring-my-family-s-wooden-sailboat-an-adventure-in-old-fashioned-values/prod9780743202510.html)

Thanks Jeremy.:2tsup:

Colin.

boatknut
31st July 2010, 10:14 AM
Jeremy, I have a book, pub. 1938, where a bloke name Fred Rebel sailed an open Sydney 18' named "Elaine" fron Sydney to Los Angeles in 1932-33. He built his own sextant and log and copied charts (by hand) from the Syd. public library. I think it was titled "Alone Against The Sea" regards ray
what is the max attach. size allowed here?

Boatmik
7th August 2010, 10:12 AM
It is important to emphasise just how much work buying a beaten up old boat can be.

Generally the more complicated the structure, the more the work.

Some plywood boats can be candidates for sprucing up, particularly if they are in sailing condition. If they have been sailed recently there is often some value to be found with not so much work - but you have to look for serious things like rot as well.

If rot or other serious problems are present then they can't affect too much of the structure - it is nice if they only affect one part. As one part is easy to replace in plywood.

Here is a description of fixing up a quite cheap plywood sabre to go racing in.
Q&A How to Race a Dinghy Successfully - Michael Storer Boat Design (http://www.storerboatplans.com/Faq/dinghyracing.html)

Boatknut ... if you want to scan the book I will put it up on my website (not sure if you were joking about attachment size!). The Americans have put up a whole bunch of classics -
the voyages of the canoe Rob Roy
The Yakaboo Rudderless canoe in the Carribean
And more ... so if there is a classic OZ book like this it would be great to have it up as well.

MIK

seanz
7th August 2010, 03:33 PM
It is important to emphasise just how much work buying a beaten up old boat can be.

Or even a non-beaten-up one.......

I haven't read Sloop , I've heard it's good. Here's a link to the best book on restoration that I've read so far....painfully honest would be a good decription.

Rebuilding Rose