PDA

View Full Version : general woodwork book

wayneo75
27th September 2004, 05:08 PM
anybody know of a really comprehesive general woodworking book, with good descriptions of joints, methods etc. i would like to have a reference book to go to when i need an alternative joint etc

i know of the faithful old school text "Woodwork in Theory and in Practice" by John Walton. Not that i have seen it recently, has it been updated or is there a better up to date option out there???

Zed
27th September 2004, 07:02 PM
Hi wayneo,

I have a copy of "the book of woodworking, all the essential skills for working in wood - techniques, expert advice, projects"

this book is by chancellor press (pommie book) and cost me $30 big ones from angus and robertson. the fact that its pommie is good as its in metric and imperial and isnt a printed ad for some yank conglomerate.... seems to have all the gear, well worth it i reckon.

another good place for books i've found is borders in north ryde or hornsby -= north ryde is better. easy enough to get to from baulko.

cheers

vsquizz
27th September 2004, 09:13 PM
Wayneo, Like Zed my best allrounder is pommie in origin. "The Technique of Furniture Making" by Ernest Joyce in 4th Edition is regarded by many as the woodworking Bible but I'm not inclined to go that far. Its a great all around reference, a bit dated but covers everthing from timber milling through workshop setup, design, tools and all manner of joinery, even upholstery. Ditto on the metric/imperial dimensions.

I think I paid about $45.00 but can be $60.00 from some sources. Google around the online booksellers or try the AWR website.

Cheers

ssgt
28th September 2004, 01:43 AM
Wayneo,
You might like to check out any of the following,
Technique of Furniture Making, Ernst Joyce.
Encyclopedia of furniture Making, Ernst Joyce.
Woodjoiners Handbook, Sam Allen.
Classic Joints with Power Tools.
Dont know were you would get them in your area but carbatec Perth generally have them in stock. I have a copy of Classic Joints with Power Tools and Sam Allens Woodjoiners Handbook and have found the both helpful to me being a novice.