PDA

View Full Version : Advice for a hsc major project??

BrettDavis
7th June 2010, 10:34 PM
Hey, I'm thinking of manufacturing a 'multi media storage cabinet' for my msn major, sort of like this one:

Leslie Dame CD/DVD Media Storage Cabinet with Door in Cherry (http://www.audio-video-furniture.com/Common/Product/ImageGallery.aspx?ID=5634)

Do you think, though, that this project may be considered too simple for an hsc major project??

ian
8th June 2010, 12:51 AM
Hey, I'm thinking of manufacturing a 'multi media storage cabinet' for my msn major, sort of like this one:
Leslie Dame CD/DVD Media Storage Cabinet with Door in Cherry (http://www.audio-video-furniture.com/Common/Product/ImageGallery.aspx?ID=5634)
Do you think, though, that this project may be considered too simple for an hsc major project??Welcome Brett
to answer your question No

I'd modify the design somewhat and replace the butt hinges with a piano hinge

there's several options for the doors, some easier to construct than others

BrettDavis
8th June 2010, 07:10 PM
Thanks a lot Ian, great advice.

It is a beautiful piece of furniture, and I will use a piano hinge along the cabinet doors. I also recently borrowed a book on cabinet door construction, so that will help too.

This will be the first time I will use piano hinges. I have found online stores from which to buy piano hinges, and have notices they come in large rolls. When unravelled, are the hinges sturdy or still bendy?? And i guess that they are just cut to size??

I really appreciate your help :)

Brett.

ian
9th June 2010, 12:35 AM
Brett
the piece you're looking at can be constructed with varing degrees of complexity.

I'll let you research the options, but would encourage you to use the simpliest method as it will be quicker leaving much more time for the project documentation.

Claw Hama
9th June 2010, 07:03 AM
Hi Brett. As Ian said, simpler construction, also gives you more time on the total project so you can get the finish to a high level. Some places sell stronger piano hinge that comes in something like one metre lengths rather than the lighter rolls.

artme
9th June 2010, 08:32 AM
A very worthy item to choose for your project Brett.

I disagree on the piano hinges, but that is a pesonal thing.

Might I suggest a change to the door Knobs? To me they don't fit the overall design theme.

I would have them as squares/rectangles, or - if sticking with the current hinges - something in a rustic iron.

Claw Hama
9th June 2010, 10:28 AM
I agree with you on the knobs artme, what hinges are you thinking? Depends what timber Brett uses and how heavy, could just put an extra one on perhaps.

artme
9th June 2010, 05:21 PM
I think those hinges are just fine, andyou can ge handles to match easily enough.

I agree with your thoughts regarding the timber Claw, but I imagine Even crapiata would sustain the ones shown.

My preference for timber would be Hoop Pine - furniture grade of course. Better to work with, more stable and very good when it comes to staining.

Claw Hama
9th June 2010, 05:34 PM
Yep, for a youngster I would even as I do now avoid staining. I always try to get timber the colour I want the finished product to be. 1, I like it real 2. a good stain job takes time 3. a youngster could build a fantastic cabinet and the turn it into crap with the stain job 4. after a few years of bumping around the stained edges and corners can be damaged and look (once again) like crap. Mind you you have to have the cash for your desired timber. Otherwise like you said, some hoop and away you go:U
Hope you're listening to all these option Brett.

BrettDavis
9th June 2010, 08:07 PM
Thanks a lot everyone - your advice is really appreciated and taken onboard. I'll post a pic of the final piece here.

All the best :)

artme
10th June 2010, 08:59 AM
On the money Claw!!

I just assumed that you woul try to emulate the colour shown in the photo Brett.

ian
10th June 2010, 09:42 AM
as to the colour of Brett's model, to my eye it looks more like paint than stain.
The Cherry I'm familiar with is a lot less purple-brown and more deep red-yellow than the picture

I second Claw's suggestion to build using a timber close to the desired final colour

Joosh
23rd August 2010, 05:32 PM
I agree with Claw and Ian choose a timber of a darker colour if it is still in your price range

the design looks simple but there is still many things you could do to achieve more marks as the markers want to see many different skills being demonstrated as possible

AlexS
23rd August 2010, 07:10 PM
Sorry, I've only just looked at this, but I think it's an excellent HSC project - not so complex that you will run out of time, but with enough detail to show off your skills. I wouldn't use a timber that has to be stained, for the reasons given, but you should use a darkish timber if possible.
I disagree about using piano hinges - they look horrible and smack of quick fix. Better to use butt hinges, and show your skill by dressing and polishing them, and setting them properly (and document what you did).