PDA

View Full Version : Table top

shine171
9th June 2010, 07:46 PM
Hi,
I'm wanting to make a round table top to sit on half a wine barrel, which i'm hoping will end up as a coffee table. The barrel side are about 30mm thick. I was thinking of using 35 mm pine for the top, (190mm wide and biscuit joined together) so it doesnt look too thin compared to the rest of the barrel.
Would the 35mm pine be okay to use ? The pine and American Oak of the wine barrel look the same colour once stained and varnished. I was also hoping to get advice on how to do the top so it would not warp over time. Is alternating the end-grain arches/curves still the best way ?
Thanks

powderpost
9th June 2010, 08:23 PM
Can't see a problem with what you are planning. Go for it.
Jim

shine171
9th June 2010, 08:42 PM
Good to hear. Thanks ! I'm not sure if dressed pine comes in 35mm thicknesses. Would it still look ok if I used treated pine ?

Chief Tiff
9th June 2010, 09:29 PM
Have you considered Tas oak for the top? It's fairly close in colour to American white oak and readily available in 30mm thick DAR sections from most Bunnings outlets. More pricey but. Whatever wood you pick try to get quartersawn timber, even if it means having to use thinner sections. That way the chances of it cupping or warping will be much reduced.

shine171
9th June 2010, 09:44 PM
I hadnt thought of any other types of wood. Sounds like a good option though. I imagine Tas Oak would be harder and probably better suited to the top of a table too? I'll have to have a look. Thanks for your help.

artme
10th June 2010, 08:54 AM
Have to agree with the Chief.

However if you did use pine then treated is not a good idea. Alternating the growth ring patterns as you describe is a good idea.

shine171
10th June 2010, 11:48 PM
Thanks,..I wasnt sure about the treated pine. I could only see the Tas Oak in 19mm thickness, but it was a smaller of the Bunnings stores. I'll try a larger one to see if they have more of a range. Regarding pine though (if I have no luck with thicker Tas Oak) is the Structural pine as good to use as dressed pine ? ie - is it just the finish that is different ?

artme
11th June 2010, 08:28 AM
Structural Pine is strees tested. The other isn't.

I prefer Hoop Pine, furniture grade over radiata.