PDA

View Full Version : Burl Lidded box (almost)

bowl-basher
9th June 2010, 10:10 PM
Hi All
Had a go at a lidded box out of a Coolibah Burl that wa not big enugh
to make a platter or normal Bowl. I cut the burl in to 3 one for the base one for the body and one for the lid. All went well untill the lid and the chuck parted company as I was putting the final coat of Glow on:(:(
Managed to save a bit and marry it to a bit of Golden cyprus for a new lid As mentioned the finish is Glow and it is 130mm in dia and stands 200 total hight was sanded to 600 .My grand daughter has claimed it as her "thingy box"
Love your comments
Bowl-Basher

mkypenturner
9th June 2010, 10:15 PM
very nice:2tsup: no wonder she claimed it

Ad de Crom
9th June 2010, 11:54 PM
Lovely wood Graham, for a lidded box.
Perfectly detailed lid and rim of the box.
Your granddaughter will be very happy with this lidded box.
Ad

artme
10th June 2010, 08:30 AM
Great piece of burl and the Golden Cypress marries in well. Super turning and finishing!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

wheelinround
10th June 2010, 10:47 AM
Graham lovely work :2tsup: nice size good choice of timbers. Bummer about the 1st lid.
Do you have a set of Cole Jaws or Longworth chuck it was in or just normal chuck.

Gary Pye has a good set of Cole Jaws which fit most types of chucks worth checking out.

Ray

Ed Reiss
10th June 2010, 11:47 AM
:2tsup: OK BB, your getting real good at this turning thing since not having to go to work anymore!

bowl-basher
10th June 2010, 11:53 AM
Graham lovely work :2tsup: nice size good choice of timbers. Bummer about the 1st lid.
Do you have a set of Cole Jaws or Longworth chuck it was in or just normal chuck.

Gary Pye has a good set of Cole Jaws which fit most types of chucks worth checking out.

Ray
No Ray it was in the standard chuck (vicmark 100) I had it lightly held by the base and forgot as I applied a bit to much pressure to the rag missed me but the bounce off my shelves did't do the top any good:rolleyes::rolleyes:
Graham

Allan at Wallan
10th June 2010, 03:42 PM
Absolutely first class.

Great combination of timbers and love the design. Well done!

Allan
:2tsup:

masoth
10th June 2010, 04:02 PM
Green with envy - that's me. Beautiful.

soth

chowcini
10th June 2010, 07:11 PM
awesome mate love it

orificiam
10th June 2010, 11:07 PM
Congratulation B.B. Beautiful wood and Turning.Your Granddaughter as good taste