PDA

View Full Version : Plywood Required for bookcase

Ranger
14th June 2010, 02:46 PM
Hi all,

I'm looking at building a bookcase from Aus Woodsmith No.62
It lists the carcass to be built from Oak Ply.

I'm in Berwick Melbourne, does anyone have any suggestions as to sources or alternative type of ply?

I was thinking of using Marine Ply as I have used it before for interior furniture and it comes out okay. Okoume is what this is called.
I think its not suitable for this application as from what I've read, its not stable, especially for a bookcase.

The size is 19mm 2400x1200.

I want the bookcase to be hardwood as I like the tight grain, so now I am thinking off going to solid wood.

Any ideas would be apreciated.

mkypenturner
14th June 2010, 06:43 PM
hi ranger
another idea instead of the marine ply is go to your local hardware store and ask them if them can order in the 19mm ply that has a natural timber veneer on the outside some of the timbers you can get are silky oak , new gunea rosewood ,QLD walnut and jarrah and you can even get an iron on edging that is also natural timber in the same colours
you will have to try differant hardwares until you find one that will help ( prob not bunnings ) or try your local cabintmaker to source it for you

Chief Tiff
14th June 2010, 08:28 PM
As Troy says, yo can buy ply and other sheet products with a variety of good timber veneers on the outer faces. If you want to go with a pale wood you can get Tas Oak venee ply and MDF and iron on edging strip.

When I lived in WA I could buy 19mm Tas Oak veneered MDF sheets in 8'X4' and the edging all from the big green box; they'd even cut it for free. Put solid wood lippings on the cut edges and you'd have to look twice to figure out it wasn't solid wood.

Always remember that Australian Woodsmith is a reprinted American Woodsmith with the dimensions changed to metric (hence why they're often weird sizes), but with no editorial changes to reflect that we don't actually have cherry and oak lying around. Or that we like to see products that we can actually buy in this country!

Ranger
15th June 2010, 07:10 AM
Thanks Guys

I'll start making a few phone calls

quercus
20th June 2010, 11:22 PM
Cabinet Timbers in Williamstown Rd Port Melbourne.(03) 9646 3677
Big range with edge veneers to suit the ply you buy.
Another good thing about them, is they sell the Ply sheets that wrap the big packs, or are damaged for $10 cash each - goes to the beer fund i think. - ask the guy on the forklift. You can get some beauties, with just a damaged edge. It is also a good way to get cheap MDF or Ply for workbenches or carcasses.
I know it isnt close to berwick, but I have found them to be the cheapest in melbourne. They dont cut anything though. Full sheets only and the guys in the warehouse arent always very helpful...
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

RedShirtGuy
21st June 2010, 01:19 AM
There's this mob in Seaford who have some speciality plys that might be of use....

Welcome to Marine Timbers (http://www.marinetimbers.com.au/)

I haven't bought from there before so have no comment on price/service etc. But they're the only mob I could find a while ago when looking for a Birch ply supplier.

Offcuts
24th June 2010, 07:39 AM
Google
Mr. Plywood, or
Plywood Services,

brettpa
6th July 2010, 10:24 PM
[email protected] :2tsup: