PDA

View Full Version : Exhibition

nine fingers
14th June 2010, 03:29 PM
Any forum members entered The Australian Woodturning Exhibition this weekend, 18th 19th 20th June at Nunawading. John

jefferson
14th June 2010, 06:19 PM
I'm in with 2 entries, neither of which I am satisfied with but they are done. A Novice bowl plus a platter, both redgum. Expect an improvement next year with the QA Controller insisting on earlier viewings.

Ken W. is of course in the Open field and Harry Dennis is also in with some nice entries.

Not sure about anyone else. Tea Lady???

tea lady
14th June 2010, 06:45 PM
I missed the entry dead line. :C And then I haven't had a chance to scratch myself recently. It will have to wait till next year. See you at the BBQ Jefferson? :cool:

jefferson
14th June 2010, 07:16 PM
Yep, will be down for the BBQ, just got to sort out some meat etc. In fact, down Sat arvo for a viewing of where turning is taking me..... :oo:

I suspect Powderpost will have entries in as well. We've all seen his 'product', so expect some stern competition.

powderpost
14th June 2010, 08:14 PM
Yes, I have some entries... Might even make the bar-b-que too...
Jim

govarney
15th June 2010, 12:20 AM
Yep. I'm entering 3 pieces. Not real happy with any of them. Bascially ran out of time. (e.g. Started turning one midday today and finished about 4pm) would have been earlier but was still putting finishing coats and my second entry. :doh:

I'll have to start a bit earlier for next year (like next Saturday :;).

See you all for the BBQ.

mick61
19th June 2010, 10:40 AM
G`day I put 8 pieces in and the judges didn`t like any of them.
Mick:D

Allan at Wallan
21st June 2010, 12:42 PM
I spent some time at the Exhibition yesterday and did a stint on selling
raffle tickets at the admission tables. Fellow club members (and now
Forumites) "Joevan", "Peter D" and M J S also did their share. "Chucky"
Berry was in attendance too. Congrats to Ken Wraight, "Chucky" and
Gordon Watt from Northern Woodturners for their placings.

"" had the bbq going at his campervan and we cooked up a few
snags etc. Had the pleasure of meeting "Powderpost" (Jim), "Soren",
"Big Shed" (Fred), "Jefferson", "Govarney" "Tea Lady" "Issatree"
plus a couple of wives and others who dropped in for a chat.

Sorry "D.J", I left before you arrived (long trip home in the rain) but
will catch you next time.

What can I say about the exhibition. The standard was exceptional
and the entries from "Novices" were just marvellous. It must have been
a hard task to judge them as the variety of ideas were outstanding.

Looking forward to the day when I make something worthy of
inclusion.:2tsup:

Allan

AUSSIE
21st June 2010, 12:52 PM
What's going on?
Only one person got anything to report?
:D
Oh and no one had a camera?

RETIRED
21st June 2010, 01:36 PM
Patience, Aussie, patience.

Some are still getting home.

nine fingers
21st June 2010, 01:47 PM
Here's the four items I entered in intermediate, very happy with judges decisions.:U:U:U:U nine fingers

Big Shed
21st June 2010, 02:09 PM
It was good to meet some forum members "face to face" at the BBQ in the car park yesterday. As well as the members mentioned by Allan at Wallan, I was particularly pleased to meet Soren, a fellow WL-46 wood lathe owner, we were able to swap some experiences with this lathe.

It was also good to see some of the long-suffering wives there:2tsup:.

I took several photos at the exhibition, by no means all items, the ones I took appealed to me for one reason or another. I will display some of my photos here, not very good quality I'm afraid with on-camera flash and heaps of people milling around one can't expect "studio" results.

I took more but deleted quite a few as not being "up to scratch" (my photograph that is, not the item)

Here are the first 10.

Big Shed
21st June 2010, 02:26 PM
Some more..........

Big Shed
21st June 2010, 02:30 PM
........and some more again, last one is a Banksia flower that caught my eye outside the building on the way out:)

Pat
21st June 2010, 03:53 PM
Fred, those pics make any of my turnings look agricultural, especially Ken's delicate works. One day when I get over the muscle side of turning to the finesse side, one day.

Well done to all members who exhibited.

TTIT
21st June 2010, 03:55 PM
Here's the four items I entered in intermediate, very happy with judges decisions.:U:U:U:U nine fingersWell done John - Another step through the ranks already :2tsup: No muckin' about eh! :;

Sturdee
21st June 2010, 04:44 PM
Here are the first 10.

No 1 and 7 belong to two guys who are mentoring and helping me to learn to turn on Thursday afternoons. Excellent work and great guys. One day I might even get close to their level.

Peter.

dai sensei
21st June 2010, 07:07 PM
Great photos there Fred :2tsup:

One day I will make it down there for the event, and make the time for an entry or two :rolleyes:

wheelinround
21st June 2010, 07:19 PM
What an amazing array of works well done :2tsup:

Thanks Fred for sharing with the photo's now where's Allan's him being the photographer.:U

jefferson
21st June 2010, 07:44 PM
I'll try to load the pics up tomorrow - just got back from the big smoke late today and it will take a while.

I'm not exactly sure of who from the forum won what, but I can tell you the following:

(If I make a mistake, someone please correct me)

Ken Wraight (Open):

- best lidded container - Peter Robson award
- best acacia (equal first twice)
- best platter
- 2nd best identical pair
- best natural edge
- best miniature
- best spindle turned item
- best novelty

Jim McC. / Powerderpostm (Open)

- 2 or 3??? places for segmented platters and a bowl / vessel

Harry D. (novice)
- best acacia
- places for a miniature and 2 vases
- best spindle turned item???

Me (novice)
- best platter over 300mm

All in all, a very successful outing! :2tsup:

Good to see all the guys at 's BBQ and DJ later.

fozz
21st June 2010, 08:24 PM
Damn it, obviously missed you all, spent time talking to a couple of guys about an exploding bowl and a segmented platter, made mention of the woodworking forum, no takers and as it was raining thought the bbq was more than likely off, hhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmm, damn it damn it damn it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Glad you folks had a great time. Its the second year I've gone to that show, at least this time I understood abit more of what I was looking at.

Cheers, Ross.

powderpost
23rd June 2010, 12:45 AM
Well, what can I say? Arrived in Melbourne on Friday and left on Monday. The hospitality I experienced was bludy marvelous.. Thanks and Ken. Not only that I was lucky again this year, out of the four pieces in the open section, I think I scored two seconds and a third. Not to sure because I was too busy talking to people to worry about those small details. :)
Meeting the forumites that braved the elements for 's barbeque was very nice. I thank you for your hospitality also. That was one of the highlights of the weekend. My only complaint was the temperature, I did have a little difficulty coping. :D
Jim

wheelinround
23rd June 2010, 09:06 AM
Jim thats great when will you be in Sydney ?

Its ashame the GTG sort of fell flat for here.

Ray

RETIRED
23rd June 2010, 09:21 AM
Well, what can I say? Arrived in Melbourne on Friday and left on Monday. The hospitality I experienced was bludy marvelous.. Thanks and Ken. Not only that I was lucky again this year, out of the four pieces in the open section, I think I scored two seconds and a third. Not to sure because I was too busy talking to people to worry about those small details. :)
Meeting the forumites that braved the elements for 's barbeque was very nice. I thank you for your hospitality also. That was one of the highlights of the weekend. My only complaint was the temperature, I did have a little difficulty coping. :D
JimThe pleasure was all ours Jim.

We have had a heat wave since you left.:rolleyes:

powderpost
23rd June 2010, 10:27 AM
Actually the week end in Melbourne in sub zero temperatures helped, when I got home it was down to 19 degrees..... :oo: :D
Jim

powderpost
23rd June 2010, 10:31 AM
Ray, we will be in Sydney Friday 27th August till Wednesday 1st September.
Jim

wheelinround
23rd June 2010, 07:21 PM
Ok Jim will resurrect that old post see what sparks up :2tsup: