PDA

View Full Version : red gum burl

tbear 79
15th June 2010, 08:06 PM
i have just started turning down a red gum burl 100 x 100 500 long and i have alot of holes 2 fill. what is the best thing to fill and i would like the holes to be black......

dai sensei
15th June 2010, 08:19 PM
Resin with carbon, black resin pigment or even paint pigment works (with PR that is).

TTIT
16th June 2010, 12:03 AM
I use Australian Ebony sawdust to fill for a black, natural looking finish. You could mix it with epoxy if you like messing with that stuff but I just drown it in CA :2tsup:

tbear 79
16th June 2010, 08:24 AM
thanks guys i might go dai sensei route ive been told coffee grounds also work to colour the epoxy is that correct. now my other question is after finishing the holes with the epoxy what can be used 2 finish the whole job. would varnishes and oils stick to the epoxy...:~

tbear 79
16th June 2010, 09:15 AM
ok another question was just looking at carrolls and they have a product called timber mate water based wood filler it says that it can take all types of varnishes and oils and french polish. they also claim that it can be sanded and even routerd hmm. but i have some big holes in the burl and would this be ok to use. and they also have australian ebony so that would be perfect for the burl as i want black for the holes

rsser
16th June 2010, 12:54 PM
Timbermate's pretty good but I wouldn't use it for your application, not at least for large voids. What size are yours?

I use epoxy 50:50 with coffee grounds and it cuts and sands well enough; has a lot of holding power but you should use it after outside shaping and before hollowing.

RETIRED
16th June 2010, 01:01 PM
Timbermate will take an edge off chisel in the first revolution. DAMHIK.

It is a great product and I use it for normal filling where it is to be sanded afterwards.

Epoxy or "car bog" turns very well.

blackwoods
16th June 2010, 01:27 PM
I have used coffee and super glue on Redgum which finishes well. Recently I used fine Blackwood sawdust and Super Glue to fill a large crack in a Red Mallee Burl which finished well also. I think either one would be a good contrast.

Barry.

tbear 79
16th June 2010, 03:34 PM
rsser if i use epoxy coffee grinds witch i say i will. can u oil the finished product i have some voids in the timber that are the size of a 50 cent coin

turnerted
16th June 2010, 03:40 PM
Plastibond with a little bit of black ,or any other colour,pigment in it .
You can get the pigment at any fibreglass supply place . You only need a speck of colour to about a teaspoon of plastibond .Skim over the top with your tool as soon as it goes off . Don't leave it more than about 30 minutes or it gets very hard and will rapidly blunten your tool .If you don't fill it completly the first time you can easily add more .

Ted

rsser
16th June 2010, 04:17 PM
Ooh, a 50c size void? I have my doubts.

How thick will the wall be?

tbear 79
16th June 2010, 04:32 PM
Ooh, a 50c size void? I have my doubts.

How thick will the wall be?
rsser it is going to be a leg for a drink stand beside lounge chairs. it started out as 4x4 500 long i do a bottom and then a top. this is the 1st burl i have done. i just finished 2 for a person they where blood wood base stringy leg and crows ash top when finished i will post pics. i have 1 half way it is mango leg red cedar top and prob blood wood base 2 get a bit of weight in the base

rsser
16th June 2010, 04:52 PM
Ah, sorry, I had assumed a bowl or platter.

Can only suggest you rough it out and see where the probs might lie, and take it from there.

Since it's structural, I'd stay with epoxy and tint or coffee grounds.

Post a pic?

tbear 79
16th June 2010, 05:05 PM
Ah, sorry, I had assumed a bowl or platter.

Can only suggest you rough it out and see where the probs might lie, and take it from there.

Since it's structural, I'd stay with epoxy and tint or coffee grounds.

Post a pic?
yeah will do i have roughed it down and stopped at that. i hope to start again on monday.