PDA

View Full Version : Hollow bed bars

barryb
29th September 2004, 06:40 AM
Hi everyone i need some help please i have a record 24DML lathe and i am having a problem with vibration my lathe is bolted down to a strong bench the top is 45mm thick there's plenty of weight inside the bench and i was thinking of filling the bed bars with concrete to see if that would dampen it down a bit Has anyone tryed this or i do take a crowbar to the wallet and buy some steel.

may the bevel rub on

barryb

ubeaut
29th September 2004, 09:48 AM
Putting washers in the hollow bars takes out the harmonics and dampens out most of the vibration.

Sprog
29th September 2004, 01:31 PM
Putting washers in the hollow bars takes out the harmonics and dampens out most of the vibration.

As does dry sand

PAH1
29th September 2004, 01:39 PM
Or lead shot

rsser
29th September 2004, 09:32 PM
Or waffle rubber btwn the lathe feet and the bench

Edward Tabachek
30th September 2004, 05:49 PM
I replaced the pipes with solid machined steel shaft stock that I purchased from a steel supply dealer. The bars were 1 and 3/8 inch in diameter, which is a tiny bit larger than the original pipes, but everything assembed and worsks perfectly. The machine shaft was a bit pricey but the supplier cut the bars to the exact length and I had no trouble reassembling the bed.
By getting new bars this would be a goot oportunity to increase the length of the bed.

barryb
1st October 2004, 05:47 AM
Hi folks
thanks for the advice I am giving the washers go first if that don't work then it will be new bars unless theres any more tips out there i have tryed rubber matting

all the best barryb

Alastair
1st October 2004, 02:31 PM
Barry

If the simple fixes don't work, be sure to do some shopping around before replacing the bed bars. Depending on the cost of the mod, it might be cost effective to upgrade to one of the MC9/1100 type lathes, and pick up the improved size and functionality instead, rather than spending more on the old lathe. Keep that, and use it for small diameter work.

Alastair

smidsy
1st October 2004, 11:55 PM
I agree with Barry, an MC900 can be got for about $350 and solid machined bar in any quantity is not going to be cheap - check the price of the bar and if it's going to cost up around the $200 mark you might as well blow the extra $150 and get an MC900.
Another option would be melting lead to fill the tubes - I melt lead for fishing sinkers and it can be done on a camping stove.
Cheers
Paul

Edward Tabachek
2nd October 2004, 03:21 AM
Fancy machined steel bars should be well less tha $100, even in Oz. I think mine were $85 can. from the fancy steel store. You might be able to scrounge something suitable locally.
Edward

barryb
5th October 2004, 08:48 AM
HI to all

I have read your replys with interest up to now the "washers" seem to be working, i would be reluctent to change lathes at this stage as i have upgraded the head stock to a swivel which was not cheap also i have found out a near neighbour is metal fabricator so may be able to sort me out with some steel.
many thanks to one and all hope life treats you kind

barryb