PDA

View Full Version : New Bike Path

Carry Pine
16th June 2010, 09:54 PM
I ride from Bowral to Mittagong (6.5km) on my way to work- hey but it is over a mountain. i knew the council has been planning to link the town with a bike path and had spent $100 000 doing a feasibility study on finding the best route. (We are all in the wrong job- thats obvious).

Don't get me wrong, the bike path would be a great idea. I'm for it. This week it was announced the bike path will go ahead... at a cost of.... (guess and then scroll down)

cost estimated (and they always go over) is $4.5million. Unbelievable!

CP

wheelinround
16th June 2010, 10:06 PM
Do you ride over the mountain or around the base??

Daughters In-laws live along the base route

:oo:

Yes but it does include the re-building of the bridge over the railway or are they tunnelling through Mnt Gibraltar :U

Carry Pine
17th June 2010, 10:30 AM
I ride over the top. I don't know thr preferred route but one option was to go through a disused railway tunnel. That way even the old folks could do it.

Graham

RufflyRustic
17th June 2010, 10:36 AM
yeah, sounds like they are tunnelling.....:rolleyes:

Mr Brush
17th June 2010, 04:48 PM
...and Whingeingcarribee Shire Council don't even have the funds to maintain the roads they have !

After losing all that cash on "investments", I'm amazed that this would go ahead.

You probably could tunnel through Mt Gib for that money, but the noise and vibration might upset the locals.....:rolleyes:

ian
17th June 2010, 10:16 PM
I ride from Bowral to Mittagong (6.5km) on my way to work- hey but it is over a mountain. i knew the council has been planning to link the town with a bike path and had spent $100 000 doing a feasibility study on finding the best route. (We are all in the wrong job- thats obvious).

Don't get me wrong, the bike path would be a great idea. I'm for it. This week it was announced the bike path will go ahead... at a cost of....

$4.5million (and they always go over) is . Unbelievable!call it 7 km long, 3m wide, that's 21,000 sq.m at about $210 per sq.m

seems a reasonable number to me based on the information available.
How many bridges do they need to build ?
if it goes through an old rail tunnel you need to factor in the cost of lighting and drainage ?
what do you need to add to the track so wombats and possums are protected from possible injury ?

besides, they're probably planning to get half the cost from the RTA.

BTW, Carry is your house near the Scottish Arms pub ?

Carry Pine
18th June 2010, 09:02 PM
BTW, Carry is your house near the Scottish Arms pub ?

No, but I pass the Scottish arms twice on my personally designed solo 15km criterium ride. I know where you mean- just down from the giant wombats (ha didn't know about them did you?)

Graham

ian
18th June 2010, 10:53 PM
When it comes to Bowral, I'm just an occasional blow-in -- my mother-in-law lives about half way between "the Arms" and Kangaloon Road.

just down from the giant wombatstell me more, I like surprsing my MIL with my "extensive" local knowledge

my personally designed solo 15km criterium ridenext time I stay overnight and take a bike down, maybe I should give you a call

BTW You should check out the house one block east of the roundabout. By the stuff in the driveway the owner might be well worth getting to know.

ubeaut
19th June 2010, 01:37 PM
Ian,

Live at Wood show. Will reply when I'm home.

Graham

Carry Pine
19th June 2010, 09:01 PM
Confession;

That was my entry (above) using Neil's log in, in a demo for a 'customer' at the woodshow- showing how easy it was to communicate.

Giant Wombats: On one of the lesser known bike tracks just up the road from The Scottish Arms there are giant wombats in the bush. They are not on the track otherwise they would be graffitied or vandalised. But on a bike sitting up higher you see them in the bush over the shrubs. Worth a look. or you could just drop a question 'have you seen the giant wombats lately- like it's old news to you.

Which roundabout- i know we live in the bush but those rounabouts keep popping up everywhere. Do you mean the one near the Scottish Arms?

Graham

I_wanna_Shed
19th June 2010, 10:08 PM
Confession;

That was my entry (above) using Neil's log in, in a demo for a 'customer' at the woodshow

Phrooahhhhh. The power that you had for all but a brief moment Graham! :dev:

ian
19th June 2010, 11:18 PM
It's the one right at the Scottsh Arms, head away from Bowal, take 1st left

Carry Pine
19th June 2010, 11:26 PM
It's the one right at the Scottsh Arms, head away from Bowal, take 1st left

Ah. On the crit (as we say on the road). Will look out for it.

I'm also looking out for the A frame for Wheelinaround but going downhill at 50k+ doesn't give you much margin for error if you are sightseeing.

Graham

ian
20th June 2010, 12:04 AM
Wheelin' lives in an A frame?
if it's in East Bowral, I've got a vague idea I may have driven past it

wheelinround
20th June 2010, 09:31 AM
:?:?

:doh: Just got it will PM you.

Ray