PDA

View Full Version : woodpeckers router table insert template

pellcorp
17th June 2010, 10:31 AM
Hi,

I bought a triton woodpecker insert from professional woodworkers supplies (PWS) some time last year and only now have I found the time to work on getting it into my timbercon torquata router table. First I filled in the original hole with a surprisingly accurate piece of 30mm MDF. Then I proceeded to try and make a template out of masonite to cut the hole to fit the new insert into the table.

After wasting a lot of wood and producing lots of saw dust I gave up in disgust and contacted PWS to ask if they had the woodpeckers MDF insert templates. Apparently PWS used to have them but discontinued stock.

However they quite happily contacted their manufacturer of tables and requested a new batch be made up. Estimate is $30 including delivery (still waiting on final quote)

For me that is a welcome relief as I am sick of trying to get the right combination of bushings a bits and multiple templates right.

Now waiting on the template to hopefully finish my table and get it back in service.

If anyone else is currently struggling with a woodpeckers insert you should contact PWS to reserve your template.

I purchased a 3/4" template bit from McJing for $30 too

Cheers
Jason

rsser
17th June 2010, 12:06 PM
Good to hear you got a solution.

PWS have a good rep in that respect.

Superbunny
17th June 2010, 09:13 PM
Hi,

Cheers
Jason

Those McJing guys have a great price along with good quality and very fast delvery with router bits.:D:D

SB

pellcorp
19th June 2010, 07:11 PM
Those McJing guys have a great price along with good quality and very fast delvery with router bits.:D:D

SB

Yep, it was 2 days from order to delivery

Gwhat
24th June 2010, 07:56 AM
Hi

The template for routing the recess for the UniLIFT and the Woodpecker Plates will be available as of later today, $29.50 + shipping it can be ordered HERE (http://woodworksupplies.com.au/prod494.htm)

Thanks for the interest.

Regards

Grahame

pellcorp
24th June 2010, 08:42 PM
Hi,

I bought a triton woodpecker insert from professional woodworkers supplies (PWS) some time last year and only now have I found the time to work on getting it into my timbercon torquata router table. First I filled in the original hole with a surprisingly accurate piece of 30mm MDF. Then I proceeded to try and make a template out of masonite to cut the hole to fit the new insert into the table.

After wasting a lot of wood and producing lots of saw dust I gave up in disgust and contacted PWS to ask if they had the woodpeckers MDF insert templates. Apparently PWS used to have them but discontinued stock.

However they quite happily contacted their manufacturer of tables and requested a new batch be made up. Estimate is $30 including delivery (still waiting on final quote)

For me that is a welcome relief as I am sick of trying to get the right combination of bushings a bits and multiple templates right.

Now waiting on the template to hopefully finish my table and get it back in service.

If anyone else is currently struggling with a woodpeckers insert you should contact PWS to reserve your template.

Cheers
Jason

The templates are here, mine gets shipped out tomorrow hopefully. $30 and throw in a whiteside template bit for $37.

I might have bought the bit from PWS as well if I had known it was only $7 more expensive as by the time you factor in freight, would have been about the same!

Template for DIY Routing of Plate / Lift Recesses (http://www.woodworksupplies.com.au/prod494.htm)

pellcorp
24th June 2010, 08:51 PM
I only just noticed Grahame's post before mine.

Oops

I'm looking forward to getting my router table back into service :2tsup:

pellcorp
26th June 2010, 11:37 PM
I received the template and went to work getting my torquata router table back into service with a wood peckers insert. Ended up working very nicely and a very accurate fit.

I would recommend the template it certainly makes easy work of this task.

You can see where I had to fill in the old hole as on two sides the original torquata insert was longer. I used 30mm MDF to fill it. I then rerouted the hole for a perfect fit for the new wood peckers insert. Very nice.

pellcorp
28th June 2010, 08:51 AM
I finally got to try it out yesterday and its an awesome improvement over the timbecon torquata plastic insert I used to have.

Only thing that bothers me is the range of woodpecker inserts, in some cases the two main rings would either be too small or too large. The smaller ring is most likely somewhat useless unless used with very small 1/4" bits (of which I don't have any.

Might have to see if I can get myself the set of 8 additional ones at some point, unless anyone knows where I can get them singularly?