PDA

View Full Version : Medical Vista

gawdelpus
18th June 2010, 08:26 PM
More in my cast clip series :) this one was on the limits and still had to be a thicker than normal vista pen to not break through to the clip . I think if I did another would try and file it a bit thinner ,still it's all trial and error with these things ,so far so good hehe, cheers ~ John

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a387/gawdelpus/Medicalvista.jpg

mkypenturner
18th June 2010, 09:34 PM
i love it john :2tsup:
bet that won't last long

MBUMIK
18th June 2010, 11:49 PM
looks good John
did you bend the clip around the tube???
i am guessing you did or else the wings would stick out

next question would be how did you bend the wings??
i am looking for ideas on the bending as i have a few things i would like to cast in resin but the only way to make them stick would be bending

great job
MIK

PenTurner
18th June 2010, 11:52 PM
Very nice work John, some good innovative thinking. Amos:)

gawdelpus
19th June 2010, 12:12 AM
Mik ! you are right these things need to be bent or formed to the tube dia , you need to measure the thickness of what is to be formed ,measure the tube dia then drill a hole to the size of the tube plus twice what your insert measured at , for example the medical symbol is 2.5 mm at its thickest so I drilled a hole 5 mm bigger than the sierra tube in a piece of hardwood and split it down the centre of the hole this gives the outside dia of the die so to speak .Placing this in a vice so it can be used for hammering the piece you want to shape ,I use a rod of steel the dia of the tube for the forging of the curve . Sounds harder than it actually is hehe. My explanation may not be too clear ,essentially you place the bit to be bent in the form lengthways and place the solid steel rod along it in the centre , A few gentle taps will start to push the piece into the mold just check as you go by the time its solidly at the bottom of the wooden groove you should have an almost perfect fit to the tube ,a round file comes in handy as well :) If its still unclear I will try and send you some rough piccies of what my rough system looks like hehe, Cheers ! John

artme
19th June 2010, 09:04 PM
More thinking outside the square there John! Nice pen!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Dorno
19th June 2010, 11:44 PM
No John those instructions are simple even for the simple minded people like myself. Very nice job you are doing they look great.

Cheers ian

skot
20th June 2010, 09:28 AM
John,

Sorry if I don't make sense with this question but....

Is that a red painted tube with clear resin. The reason I ask is the area around the wings is wider and appears red for the full width which makes me think it is a red resin otherwise it would show up as a straight red tube with a wider section of clear.

If it is red resin, why is the medico badge not covered in a red resin.

Skot

munruben
20th June 2010, 11:13 AM
Nice work John. I think you might be right in thinking you need to file down the thickness of the emblem but overall it has come out really well. :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

gawdelpus
20th June 2010, 03:52 PM
Skot it is simply an acrylic red painted tube , the medical symbol is bent as explained to fit the shape of the tube , then simply clear cast and turned as normal :) except for being a much thicker pen barrel than normal (2.5 mm wall thickness at the biggest part )
cheers ~ John