PDA

View Full Version : Gloat

texx
18th June 2010, 09:12 PM
went for a drive today out to a guys property that i know , i have been trying to organise this for almost 12 months .
he said i can just take a couple of trees because he wants to keep a good few on the place ,good on him i rekon .
he had some clearing done a few years ago but made sure the patch where these were was left untouched and only cleared the rubbishy stuff that needed to go to make way for some grass to grow .

Pat
18th June 2010, 09:21 PM
Hairy Oak?

mkypenturner
18th June 2010, 09:31 PM
damn lucky bugger :2tsup:
a ute full of hairy oak hmm i only wish

texx
18th June 2010, 09:37 PM
not all hairy ONE bit is beefwood :2tsup:
cutting some into small boards cos i want to have a go at some box making further on down the track .

orificiam
18th June 2010, 09:37 PM
You have every right to Gloat. Nice Find:2tsup:
Cheers Tony.:)

Ed Reiss
19th June 2010, 11:57 AM
Texx...trees in the US are taught from birth how to shave :o:D:D

Great haul...post a pic or two when done making a bowl.

NeilS
19th June 2010, 01:21 PM
Some beautiful bowls waiting to be turned there, Texx.

Suggest you split bowl logs in half asap to reduce cracking.

For the boards, quarter saw to optimise the medullary ray figure.

texx
19th June 2010, 01:39 PM
there in is the problem won't get much bowl timber from these they had a lot of cracks in them when i felled them .
seems the whole place was ring barked many years ago and the hairy oaks just never gave up the fight and they regrew but they all have a dead section running up one side or in the centre we walked and walked around dozens of trees trying to find some that never had the dead section but the only ones that never were the real small new growth ones .
thats why i am cutting most of it into boards and pen blanks , i will get maybe a couple of bowl bits but not very big .
dont matter i have my feelers out and i may be able to source a few from another area have to wait and see on that one

bookend
19th June 2010, 02:37 PM
Texx...trees in the US are taught from birth how to shave :o:D:D

Ed - in Australia we like a bit of rough! :harhar:

munruben
19th June 2010, 06:49 PM
Wow! what can I say, beautiful, just beautiful.:2tsup:

dai sensei
19th June 2010, 07:16 PM
Great score there Texx :2tsup:

Watch out for sand amongst the bark, try and get rid of as much of that hairy stuff before you cut it, takes the edge off your saws really quickly. I have quite a bit I've bought over the years in whole logs, makes great boxes and handles, I even cut some big stuff for big hand planes. Pens really look great, especially corss-cut or 45 degree cut.

artme
19th June 2010, 08:28 PM
Lucky bugger!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

You have pressed the envy button over here.:D

Allen Neighbors
20th June 2010, 10:18 AM
You've got a great gloat!! I'm astounded by the hairy bark!! I never saw anything like that. Looks like you went bear hunting and wrapped the trees in their hides!!
Are the rays that pronounced in all Oak trees in Oz?

texx
20th June 2010, 11:25 AM
You've got a great gloat!! I'm astounded by the hairy bark!! I never saw anything like that. Looks like you went bear hunting and wrapped the trees in their hides!!
i have some bits of "bull oak " that have rays almost as good but not quite .
you should see my workshop and shed floor i am in the process of cleaning it up now looks just like i have killed a couple of bears ,been giving the aldi vac a workout , i had a visitor yesterday and i told him it was yowie fur , not sure if he believed me or not .

NeilS
20th June 2010, 01:31 PM

Allen, they are not Quercus oak as you have in US and Europe, but the genus Allocasuarina or Grevillea, and yes, they all have pronounced medullary rays. Prob called oak because of the similarity to the figure in Quercus.