PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of buying a drill press

NewLou
29th September 2004, 06:53 PM
Hey fellas

I'm thinking of buying a drill press. The one I've got my eyes on is from total tools presently on special for $300. I spoke to one of the staff at TT who gave me a demonstration on how to tilt the table 45degrees. It seems solid enough has all the standard features. I asked if would suit homeworkshop to which replied yes. Seems like a good buy! am I on the right track? any feedback tips on what to look out for in a drill press appreciated!!!!

Regards Lou :-)

IanW
30th September 2004, 09:08 AM
Hi Lou,
These are the sorts of questions that are tough to answer because it all depends on what you expect of a drill press. If you're into precision metal work, the 'economy' line may fall short in matters like the main bearings, slop in the quill as you bring it down, etc. For woodworking type tolerances, most drills sold now are pretty reasonable. Since most drills are copied from designs made primarily for metalworking applications, they suffer from a couple of 'faults' in woodworking situations. These are - not enough clearance from the drill axis to the post; not enough clearance from drill point to the lowest point of travel of the support platform, and not enough quill travel.

Having said all that, even a cheap, inadequate drill press lets you do things quicker, safer and more accurately than you could ever achieve with hand-held drills, plus it can be pressed into service as a drum-sander, etc. etc. As long as the model you're looking at is well-enough put-together to last, it will serve you well, and you can always trade up in a year or two, if you find you desperately need something better.

I had a bench model for about 12 yrs that was too small, and had too short a travel, and not enough speeds, but I was able to work around the deficencies much of the time, and it did a lot of good work. I now have a floor model, (Delta) which didn't cost a lot more than the one you're looking at, and am very happy with it for my needs.
Cheers,

Termite
30th September 2004, 09:17 AM
At the recent Newcastle show I checked out the Toolies drill Presses with a view to a future purchase. Now being the tight a**e that I am I have been shopping around a bit, and I found that the Toolies drill presses are the only reasonably priced ones that don't have any vertical slop in the quill, which is important when using a rosette cutter, so they will be my choice very soon.

Zed
30th September 2004, 09:36 AM
I started a thread a while back about this subject - it may be worth digging that out... I ended up with the 12 speed floor press by Delta - I did quite a bit of homework on it too . Excellent machine for $600 odd from carbatech - I highly recommend it over any other i've seen besides the milling machines that you get for metal work. its very sturdy, well made, has a slow start, and the quill is of a larger than average bore and travel with no side track (No2 morse taper). a serious machine - MUCH!!! better than either any of the other chinese or taiwanese models or even the shepparch that sells as a shepparch or has been cloned for carbatech or sherwood (the radial arm drill only has 5 speeds and runs quite rough I found).

cheers

Termite
30th September 2004, 10:02 AM
Cant argue with the quality of the Delta drill, but it's twice the price.

silentC
30th September 2004, 10:16 AM
My 2 cents. If you want to drill holes in wood, a $300 Chinese drill press will do the job. Mine has 16 speeds and I think I've used two of them. Buy the $300 job and spend the other $300 on a router or something.

craigb
30th September 2004, 10:27 AM
I've had the Total Tools press for a couple of years now.

It does everything I want it to do, which is drill holes in bits of wood and occasionally work as a drum sander.

Like silentC, I rarely change the speed. Mostly because it a hassle to bugger around with the belts and pulleys.

NewLou
30th September 2004, 05:49 PM
Thx for that fellas

Looks like I'm on the right track. As I only plan to use the press for my woody projects I just can't justify the cost of spending more money on something like the Delta! For $300 bucks can't see how I can go wrong with the Total Tools Model! Anyone got a fovourate speed setting they keep there drill press on! My most recent project involves drilling Dog holes in some really dense 45mm blackbutt Any advise on your favourite speed settings etc would be appreiated. As always I find the feedback from the Aussie Woodwork forums FANTASTIC!

Now ............... which router :-)

IanW
30th September 2004, 06:29 PM
Lou - again, depends what you're drilling (soft/hard), what sort of feed-rate you can apply (if you are feeding too slowly, or the drill is choking, it will heat up very quickly - same as with router bits), and what you're drilling with (you can use higher speeds for smaller diameter drills, and spade bits don't heat up like Forstners, which are really designed for softer woods, though I 'pursuade' mine to hog out all kinds of tough stuff).
Being a lazy sod myself, mine's been on about the second-slowest speed for so long I can't remember when I last changed it. Can't tell you what the actual revs are, just that it's a suitable speed that I can use with my Forstners up to about 1 2/2" diameter without making smoke - all other factors being equal, as per above. As someone else said before, fiddling about with belts (2 of the damn things) is a PITA. You'll probably try a lot of different speeds for different jobs when you first get it, and are keen, but after a while you'll notice you've left it on a speed that does most jobs ok, just like the rest of us! The message is that it's not that critical for most applications, and if you hit one that is critical, you'll know enough about it by then to find the right speed......
Avagoodone,

DarrylF
30th September 2004, 10:00 PM
I've had a drill press from Total Tools for a couple of years as well. Not a scrap of trouble with it. I have the one with the single-piece cast wheel rather than the usual 3 x thin bits of steel - much nicer to use.

They are good value for money and definitely recommended.

craigb
30th September 2004, 10:28 PM
Thx for that fellas

Looks like I'm on the right track. As I only plan to use the press for my woody projects I just can't justify the cost of spending more money on something like the Delta! For $300 bucks can't see how I can go wrong with the Total Tools Model! Anyone got a fovourate speed setting they keep there drill press on! My most recent project involves drilling Dog holes in some really dense 45mm blackbutt Any advise on your favourite speed settings etc would be appreiated. As always I find the feedback from the Aussie Woodwork forums FANTASTIC!

Now ............... which router :-)
I think I have mine set at 500 rpm.

Which router? Well, check the polls forum, but for mine, if you intend to use it in a table then go for the Triton. For hand held use there a several contenders.

NewLou
2nd October 2004, 12:52 AM
Here she is!!!!

I'm now the prowd owner of a 16 speed drill press on special from total tools for $300 (Thats the site foreman in the pic looking after quality control) took me bout 45mins to slap her together and another 3omins to work out how ta change belts for the speed I wanted. I settled on 500 rpm. Anyway thanks for the feedback everyone .............. muchley appreciated. Now I can get on with the job of drilling dog holes for my workbench

Regards Happy Camper :-)

Iain
2nd October 2004, 12:01 PM
Our dogs dig their own holes :D , and, how do you manage to look so youthful?
Settle on a drill speed and you will soon discover as to whether or not it is adequate, it just feels wrong.
I use the slowest possible speed for forstner bits, the little pulley at the back to the biggest at the front whatever speed that is.
Also make sure that the morse taper is seated well as it is most embarassing when the chuck falls out, it's happened to me once many moons ago.

MajorPanic
2nd October 2004, 08:01 PM
Don't be lazy like 95% of woodworkers & tradesmen I've seen!!!! Change the speed to suite the job @ hand. It only takes me 20 seconds to change speeds & you get a MUCH better result :cool: It also is more economical on the drill bitz you use. :D

NewLou
2nd October 2004, 08:40 PM
Well after a good days work mucking around my work bench is slowly coming along. Only had one drama throughout the day. After thinking I had checked and tightened everything the Locknut on the main chuck drive belt came loose........................luckily no major dramas (Whew).

Anyone got some rules of thumb guides they use for setting their drill speeds? I got no Idea on what speeds suit what particular jobs and so fourth. I'm presently drilling some blackbutt I got from bunnies. Noticed from time to time the wood tended to burn a bit whilst drilling what does this indicate and do I need to make any adjustments? thought I'd ask you guys while I go so I can learn the fine art of the drill press as I go..............

Anyfeedback truely appreciated
Regards Lou :-)

bitingmidge
2nd October 2004, 08:46 PM
Lou,

Download this and have fun!

Drill Bit Speed Chart (http://www.australianwoodsmith.com.au/images/pdf/28drillbitspeedchart.pdf)

Cheers,

P
:D

MajorPanic
2nd October 2004, 09:24 PM
Yeeeer....... wot Bitingmidge said ;)

NewLou
3rd October 2004, 08:19 AM
Thx BitingMidge your links just what the Doctor Ordered. Really appreciate that :D :D :D :D :D

Regards Lou

Iain
3rd October 2004, 08:24 AM
Clear the bit to prevent burning, some timbers cling to the bit and start to smoulder. Just pull the bit out and tap or brush off the swarf (?) then start again.

NewLou
4th October 2004, 09:42 AM
Once again I'd like to thank all those who have participated in this thread. The informtion provided has been invaluable.................allowing me to safely and appropriately tackle any new jobs in the future. Looks like my new drill press is in for a real workout :D :D :D :D :D

Regards Lou

bitingmidge
4th October 2004, 10:09 AM
The informtion provided has been invaluable......

Ooops...must have forgotten where I was for a minute!!

:D :D :D
Cheers,

P

NewLou
4th October 2004, 08:02 PM
Well here she is...................the outcome of me first run with the drill press Dog Holes! for the new work bench I'm presently working on.

:D

graemet
4th October 2004, 09:17 PM
Go to Woodsmith.com and look up their online extras for issue 137. This is a very comprehensive drill speed chart for twist drills, spade bits, forstner bits and holesaws.
I downloaded it, printed it and had the local stationer laminate it; it's stuck up on the wall behind my press.
Graeme

graemet
4th October 2004, 09:20 PM
Lou,

Download this and have fun!

Drill Bit Speed Chart (http://www.australianwoodsmith.com.au/images/pdf/28drillbitspeedchart.pdf)

Cheers,

P
:D Midge,
Sorry, should have looked at your post first - the Australian Woodsmith chart is better than the yankee one.
Graeme

mat
5th October 2004, 11:52 AM
Lou

There is also a chart inside the pulley cover.

NewLou
12th October 2004, 08:00 PM
mmmmmmmmmm yer I found that thx Matt ;)

Now I guess its time to get a few bit sets together. I've done some comparison drilling on some 45mm blackbutt strong dense stuff!! found that twist bits (12mm) and spade bits (19mm) seemed to cause a fair bit of breakout once going through the stock!

The best bit i used by far was a Brad bit (12mm) that seemed to give a smooth well machined hole with no breakout through the other side! What are other people experiences with drilling and breakout? what style drill bits have you found seem to give the best consistant results?

At this stage I'm thinking of putting my hard earn't dollars into a Brad set made from high speed steel (3-13mm) I'm not sure what to go for in the larger sizes though? Fornester, Sawtooth or Spade Bits?????

Anyfeedback appreciated Regards Lou

graemet
12th October 2004, 10:35 PM
Lou,
I've found anything which cuts the outside of the hole before the centre almost eliminates tear-out, so: bradpoint for smaller sizes, forstner and sawtooth forstner types for the bigger holes (but they get pricey!)
Spade bits and metal drills are OK for fenceposts and sparky's wiring holes in cottage framing but not where you can see the results.
If you have to use twist drills in wood, set your speed as high as you can and have them as sharp as you can and back the timber up with some waste underneath.
Graeme

bsrlee
13th October 2004, 05:09 AM
2 items to note here:

1) use a backing board under the piece you are drilling through - any piece of old junk timber will do - off cuts, old palings etc. No splintering on break thru. This mainly apliers to jobber twist & brad point drills

2) with spade, auger & forstener/sawtooth bits & all the hole saws - turn the wood over as soon an the centre point comes thru (OK - guess or measure, don't use your finger!) and drill/cut from the back. Result - no splintering.

Iain
13th October 2004, 07:59 AM
In addition to brslee's comment, I use a 1/16" pilot hole through the timber with a forstner bit and bore about halfway and then restart from the other side using the pilot hole for alignment.

NewLou
13th October 2004, 08:06 PM
Great feedback fellas thx :D

In my travels over the net I've found some excellent links to sites that give some great information on drill bit basics and just about all you could want to know and buy in regards to drill bits........here they are:

Drill bit basics at:
http://www.woodnet.net/reviews/archive/drill-bit-basics/

Anything to do with drills and drill products at:
http://www.georeviews.com/Tools___Hardware/Power_Tools___Hardware/Drill_Presses/Drill_Bits___Sets/index.php

The next thing I'd like to explore is adding some kind of table to my drill press. Any ideas? or setups others have come up with? I'd love to know how a drill press set up with quality parts and accessories squares up to things like a spindle sander?

All feedback appreciated
Regards Lou

MajorPanic
13th October 2004, 08:31 PM
I made a aux table for mine that's a hollow box (26" X 14"), about 4" deep with a 3¼" hole just in from the back edge. I installed a 4" dust outlet on one end to collect all the dust from a set of drum sanders I got from Carba-Tec. I gotta admit it works really well :D

Sturdee
13th October 2004, 09:17 PM
The next thing I'd like to explore is adding some kind of table to my drill press. Any ideas? or setups others have come up with?

For details of my drillpress extension table see http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=6204 . Other members have also posted details of theirs. Do a search and look under handmade tools and jigs.

Peter.

NewLou
14th October 2004, 06:43 PM
Well what can I saw fellas! There's some great advise and suggestions here. I reckon just about everything a new drill press owner needs :D :D :D :D :D
To top things off I thought I'd add a link to Bob Smalser's recent review of Pneumatic Sanding Drums

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=12115

This is a great tool accessory review that has been recently posted to our site.
I plan to post a few more threads to this forum once I get my drill press set up with an extension table & Bit/ Drum accessories.

What do they say: Wisdom is good knowledge put into action ;)

Regards Lou

MajorPanic
16th October 2004, 08:02 PM
Have a look at this great setup!!!

http://www.anneldavis.com/bobandanne/drillpresstable.htm

bitingmidge
16th October 2004, 08:37 PM
Have a look at this great setup!!!

http://www.anneldavis.com/bobandanne/drillpresstable.htm

Thanks for another project Major!! :D Actually similar to what I had in mind, but with a box underneath... or do you think I'm getting too ambitious??

Cheers,

P

NewLou
16th October 2004, 09:16 PM
Well you've outdone yourself major :eek: !!!!!! Looks like I know what my next project will be ...........Love the vertical fence!!!! 3 cheers for Major!!!!!!
whhhhhhhhhhoooooooooooooooo hooooooooooooooooooooooooo
:D :D :D :D :D

MajorPanic
16th October 2004, 10:48 PM
Right-ho gents!!!
Get stuck into it & we want of see the results of your efforts!!!! :D

I went to take a pic of my simple setup but the battery in the camera has died :mad:

NewLou
18th October 2004, 11:48 AM
Well before I even go there Major I got to kit up my Drill Press Rig. Unfortunately at this stage all I have is a few different bits (See attachment).

When I started to think about what I needed to buy that famous question that always seems to come up arose "What do I want to use it for" For me I hate spending money on something I only end up using a couple times a year before the dust starts collecting on it.

So the answer to that question for me is "I want to use my press as much as possible" until I purchase a tool that can do the job a whole lot better than my press.

After a lot of thought I've decided to purchase and eventually make a number of accessories designed to make my Drill Press as versatile functional and hassle free as possible to use.

At this stage my shopping and project list includes:

1. A good set of Brad Point Drill Bits Metric + Imperial (3-13mm HSS)
See attachment for a couple of drill bit tests I did with different types of drill bits. The Brad bit gave the best results by far!!!!
2. A quality set of Forstner and Saw Tooth Bits
3. A Pneumatic Drum Sander Kit that can be easily set up On the Drill Press
4. Make a custom Extension Table

All suggestions comments feedback appreciated

I'll keep you posted as I go Along.........................................Regards Lou

NewLou
19th October 2004, 12:24 PM
Gidday heres some great drill press Jigs I've Stumbled across ......... Enjoy

Drill Press I-Beam
http://www.woodworkingtips.com/etips/etip020328sn.html

Piston Stop Block
http://www.woodworkingtips.com/etips/etip030314ws.html

Drill-Press Dust Collector
http://www.woodmagazine.com/wood/story.jhtml?storyid=/templatedata/wood/story/data/396.xml

Extra-Long Drum Sander
http://www.woodmagazine.com/wood/story.jhtml?storyid=/templatedata/wood/story/data/377.xml

Ball-Drilling Jig
http://www.woodmagazine.com/wood/story.jhtml?storyid=/templatedata/wood/story/data/339.xml

Radius Sanding Jig
http://www.woodmagazine.com/wood/story.jhtml?storyid=/templatedata/wood/story/data/478.xml

Step-and-Repeat Jig
http://www.woodmagazine.com/wood/story.jhtml?storyid=/templatedata/wood/story/data/338.xml&catref=wd15&page=2

MajorPanic
19th October 2004, 07:56 PM
Finally got a new battery for the camera :p

Here is a pic of my simple setup, excellent dust extraction for spindle sanding & pinpoint adjustment cause it's setup on a 150mm XY co-ord vice :cool:
On the rear of the table is a positioning point for vertical drilling using toggle clamps to hold the pieces. This is how I drilled the ends of all the marking gauges I made :D Saved me a shedload of time ;)

http://www.majorpanic.com/images/woodwork/dpress.jpg

NewLou
24th October 2004, 08:05 PM
Heres some pictures of some great drill press extension table ideas. I'm going to try and incorporate the best ideas from each into my table..................Any other ideas appreciated.

Feel Free to add Pictures of your drill press set up!!!!!!!!!!!

Regards Luke

Don Nethercott
24th October 2004, 11:18 PM
My drill press looks just like yours - but its called a Peerless!!??
One mistake I made was getting a round table. I should have got a rectangular one because I also bought a morticing attachment - really makes cutting mortices a breeze if you are into that sort of thing. Very hard to attach mortising attachment to the round table. I did need to get a collar attached to the drill to fit the mortising attachment, but that only cost $20.
Where did you get your press? - I tried to get a peerless rectangular table and they wanted over $100 for it, on a $280 drill press that's ridiculous.

NewLou
25th October 2004, 09:36 AM
Hi Don

Check out the latest total tools catalogue to find the drill press I ended up purchasing. So far I havent had any problems with using the press or the round table. You might also have some luck checking out E-Bay they sell just about anything and everything these days............In addition check out some of the pictures that have been posted on this thread. You might get some ideas on how to set up a jig to address your issue.

If there is one feature that I would like that the total tool drill press lacks is the ability to pivit (The chuck is fixed).............The only thing I can angle is the round drill press table..............Would have been handy to be able to pivit the chuck to at least 45 degrees. In hindsight I would have spent another hundred bucks to have this feature!!!! but can't complain for the price I paid.

Regards Lou

Cichlabxr
25th October 2004, 02:00 PM
I have also been looking for a PEDASTAL drill press. I was wondering if anybody had any experience with Timbecon or Leda Machinery.
The Ledacraft ZQJ-3116A and the Sherwood seem to be the same machine. I live in NSW so can't go in and see the machine myself.

mat
25th October 2004, 02:45 PM
Hare and Forbes is close to Angnes Banks. Have a look at their machines. I bought the SPD25A after looking various machines including the ledacraft and timbecon machines.

NewLou
25th October 2004, 08:20 PM
Heres some great links from Lee Valley Tools that give a great introduction to all the major drill bit types. I found these a great read that had a major influence on my final purchases. I'll post some pictures of what I bought and why when my goodies arrive..........................

Twist Drills
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.asp?page=32241&category=1,180,42240&ccurrency=3&SID=

Brad Point
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.asp?page=45534&category=1,180,42240&ccurrency=3&SID=
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.asp?page=42247&category=1,180,42240&ccurrency=3&SID=

[B]Forstner Bits
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.asp?page=42244&category=1,180,42240&ccurrency=3&SID=

Saw Tooth Bits
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.asp?page=42245&category=1,180,42240&ccurrency=3&SID=

NewLou
1st November 2004, 01:04 PM
I'm still in the process of stocking up on a kit for my drill press and am toying with a number of extension table ideas. Have been lucky enough to come across this one.

What do you think..........???

Am Going to incorporate a L shape design so that a jig for vertical drilling can be incorporated into the extension table. Just got to work out how to get a decent dust extraction set up going.....................I like the functionality of Majors setup but would like to bulk the overall design down a bit Anyone got any ideas on a dust collection setup for what I think is..............

The Ultimate Custom Extension Table for a drill press!!!!!

All comments feedback appreciated
Regards Lou

NewLou
7th November 2004, 03:13 AM
After a lot of looking round I finally recieved some mail orders from some internet purchase's I have made. For those of you looking to buy new tools and equipment I can't stress the importance of having an opportunity to look at what you are buying first............Sometimes you get a few suprises after recieving internet orders based on online catalogues.

My initial purchases included a metric and imperial set of (Tungston Carbide Tipped) Lipped style Brad points & a set of Chrome Vandium Steel German made Utility style Brad Points.

My first surprise was a big made in China stamp slapped on each of the drill bits.............Upon close inspection the quality of these drill bits left a lot to be desired another source of shock and frustration was the apparent lack of steel in China!!!!! these bits were almost half the length of the chrome vandium bits from Germany!!!! (See Pictures) After paying $100 for both the sets I could'nt help but think that I had been had :mad:

In comparison the German Made Chrome Vandium Utility Style Brad Set had a well machined feel was sharp to the hold and had an air of well made elegance. Although nothing new to the experienced the lesson I learn't was always look for high quality and buy from well regarded reputable suppliers!!!!

Needless to say I'm still looking for a set of good quality drill bits and Lee Valley is looking good :o

NewLou
14th November 2004, 09:12 AM
Well I must admit since getting my drill press I've been giving it a real workout. (See pic of my present setup :o ) I've also been learning a lot of good lessons. Unfortunately me new drill bits have been the casuality ................. :mad:

1. I'm not sure what happened here............I was attempting to do an angled hole into some hardwood. The tip seemed to grab into the hardwood and next thing I knew my new tungston carbided tipped bit was bent way outta wack :mad: :mad: Seems my chinese made drill bits are TCT right at the end of the bit............ the rest seems to be made of some kind of lower grade steel that bends outta shape if the upmost of care is not taken.......................very frustrating :mad: I've definately learned to by high quality drill bits from reputable sources!!!!!

2. ..........And yer don't leave bits in ya cordless where it can be easily knocked of your work area. I picked up me cordless after knocking it off the work area only to find that I had bent the TCT brad point outta shape...........Needless to say nothing gets left on the edge of my work area anymore!!!!!!!!

3. MMMMMMMMM I worked out that hardwood is called hardwood for a reason I was attempting to do a freehand hole in some hardwood on the drill press (No Clamp) when the bit grabbed into the wood afterwhich it jumped and "snap" no more drill bit...................Needless to say I always clamp down hardwoods when I'm drilling on the press now.

I learn't the importance of being safe; taking my time and getting into good work routines when using tools and machinery. For the beginner like myself maybe it would have made better sense to start practicing with a cheaper set of standard drill bits :o and moving onto the more expensive components once getting a 'feel' for how different drill bits react in different circumstances with both hard and softwoods.

Or have I got a bit of Frank Spensor in me?

The Journey continues.................................

Regards Lou :D :D :D

Iain
14th November 2004, 02:54 PM
Item 3:
What is even more character building is when the bit grabs a long piece of timber and you are the lucky recipient of a medium speed thump on the arm or whatever is at the right height.
NOt speaking from experience ;) (Yeah, ho ho ho :rolleyes: )

NewLou
17th November 2004, 09:18 AM
Found this in the General Forum Appears to be some kind of table extension not to sure how much it is or what it does yet.......................Is it Australian Made??? If anyone has any info on this item please feel free to post !!!!

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=12980

Regards Lou

Ben from Vic.
17th November 2004, 10:59 AM
Lou, I wouldn't be supprised if those drill bits were the cause of a few of your problems. Maybe there's something in the way they're ground thats causing the bit to grab. Then the bit happens to be soft enough to sacrifice it's self for you. ;)

The cork screw bit is a fantastic effort, you should frame it. :D

If your interested in making your own drill press table, then have a look here (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?s=&postid=48538) at the one made by DPB, it's a beautie.

Ben.

MajorPanic
17th November 2004, 05:34 PM
Here ya go Lou

<TABLE style="MARGIN- 50px" cellPadding=5 border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD>Vertiacc Enquiries
157 Baskerville St
Brighton
QLD 4017
AUSTRALIA</TD></TR><TR><TD>+61 (0) 7 3269-4478</TD></TR><!-- <tr> <td>(07) xxxx xxxx</td> </tr>--><TR vAlign=top><TD>E-Mail: [email protected] ([email protected]?Subject=Vertiacc Enquiry) </TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

NewLou
22nd November 2004, 12:21 AM
I followed the Vertiacc up. Is apparently a new Jig somewhat like some of the drill press extension tables seen throughout this thread.

The webpage is apparently still a work in progress.

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=13067

The great News is that the Vertiacc is Australian Designed and Made. We could see a review of it in an Aussie Woodwork mag in the near future.

I made some enquires from the info Major posted and it seems the Vertiacc will be reasonably priced too.........................If she gets the thumbs up looks like I won't have to make my own drill press extension table after all ;)

Now.......................Back to kitting up my drill press rig :D :D :D :D

Regards Lou

johna
22nd November 2004, 09:12 AM
Hey Lou, you're a champ mate. I just ordered the same drill press, for $299 you just can't go wrong. Was at all tools on Saturday and they had some for over $500 so with the money i saved i will splash out and get this table for it
http://www.woodpeck.com/media/main_qstoplpdptable.jpg

NewLou
24th November 2004, 07:50 PM
Yeah that tables a beauty Johna I have my eye on buying that one or the Vertiacc if I don't end up making my own custom table. For those of you interested in checking out the price of the table Johna posted check out the link below:

http://www.woodpeck.com/quickstoplpdptable.html

For me I'm going to wait till I hear some reviews and feedback about the Vertiacc before I make a final decision.

http://www.vertiacc.com/

Regards Lou

johna
3rd December 2004, 08:03 AM
just got a quote for that table plus the extension wing in australia for $500.
hmmm alot of money for a table

numbat
3rd December 2004, 08:58 AM
Was that from an Australian supplier or delivered to Australia but ordered from overseas?

Cheers

johna
3rd December 2004, 01:22 PM
from an australian supplier

NewLou
13th December 2004, 07:42 PM
I got a quote for the Vertiacc $270.00 including postage and handling decided to place an order....................I'll give a full comprehensive review once recieved.

Throughout my enquiries there were swift replys to any queries I had. SO far So good.

The Vertiacc carries a full unconditional
> 1 year warranty on parts and workmanship

I'll let you know how I get on

Regards Lou :D :D :D :D :D

Barry_White
13th December 2004, 08:12 PM
Yeah that tables a beauty Johna I have my eye on buying that one or the Vertiacc if I don't end up making my own custom table. For those of you interested in checking out the price of the table Johna posted check out the link below:

Regards Lou
Hi NewLou

Have a look at the drill press table that Don Barton (DPB) made. I also made the same table. Much cheaper than buying one and more satisfaction.

I built mine out of MDF but you could glue laminate to the top to make it fancy.

See it on this thread. http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=7880

NewLou
31st December 2004, 04:34 PM
Yer I almost decided to make my own custom Table Barry but decided to give the Vertiacc a go cause she's a fairly new aussie invention. If needing to I'll make my own custom mods to the Vertiacc.

For those of you interested heres a few more Handy websites I've come across over my recent travels. Of major interest to me is the Drill Doctor! would be interested if anyone has used this and got some feedback on wether or not its anygood?

http://www.rpi.edu/dept/aml/public_html/course/safety/safetywww/drillpress_safety.html
http://www.shopforpowertools.com/cgi-bin/tools3.cgi?search_type=AsinSearch&templates=6&item_id=0806936916
http://www.axp.mdx.ac.uk/~john49/drillfaq.htm
http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=howTo&p=BuyGuide/ChsDrlPrs.html&rn=RightNavFiles/rightNavTools
http://www.drilldr.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=196&Itemid=157
http://store.yahoo.com/drillcity/info.html

Regards Lou

NewLou
22nd January 2005, 07:50 AM
Gidday Everyone ;)

For those interested heres some reviews of the Drill Doctor..............An Item I've got on my wish list:

http://www.epinions.com/Shop_Tool_Accessories-Drill_Doctor_Brand
http://www.woodworking.org/WC/GArchive04/2_7bobsharp.html
http://www.pavementsucks.com/showcase/drilldoctor.php
http://www.tools-onlinestore.com/g=B00004U8PE.html
http://www.rockcrawler.com/neatstuff/drilldoctor/index.asp
http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/product_details.cfm?offerings_id=2449&sid=AF580

Enjoy regards Lou :cool:

numbat
22nd January 2005, 09:03 PM
I got a quote for the Vertiacc $270.00 including postage and handling decided to place an order....................I'll give a full comprehensive review once recieved.

Lou,

Have you got this yet? Anthing to report?

Cheers

NewLou
24th January 2005, 09:15 AM
Gidday Numbat :)

Just to let you know yes I have got the Vertiacc on order and presently waiting for it to arrive (End of next week at the latest) George has been happy to promptly reply to and answer any of my queries or questions.

I'm not sure if it is still going but there was a special on all Vertiacc orders - Just give George a E-Mail to find out if this is still the case. In addition I will be trialing a new mortising jig that the boyz at Vertiacc have developed for their Jig......................I'll give her a full amature review once I have a chance to put the Vertiacc through its paces.

Check out the Vertiacc Webpage for a recent online demonstration Video they have included for download....................I'll give an update soon for all those interested!

Regards Lou

;)

NewLou
4th February 2005, 12:45 AM
Gidday All,

For those of you who have been interested in this thead I have been having some difficulty with the above mentioned order. I will give feedback once I have obtained an outcome in the next 48hrs.

Regards Lou :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

NewLou
4th February 2005, 05:39 PM
Gidday Everyone,

Well recieved my Vertiacc order.....................I must admit I had been excited about recieving my Vertiacc order and looked forward to recieving a great high quality product..................Unfortunately when I opened the enclosed documentation which was a printout of the information provided on the Vertiacc Webpage and a rough scribe of the morticing Jig ........... the thought OH NO! suddenly hit my mind.

To rub salt into the wound after close inspection of all components I noticed poor machining practices and evidence of wear and tear........that terrible feeling of 'I'd been had' started to sink into an already heavy heart of mine. I'd been sent a used product obviously an old prototype or shop model!!!!!!!!! Nnooooooooooo my heart pounded and the adrenaline pumped I was to say the least a little more than frustrated and agitated.

I soldiered on and began putting things together I must admit the process was a snap with little need for instructions however as I discovered more problems my enthusiasm wained and saw little need to continue the process.

What to do next........................it becomes really aparent that the pen is mightier than a verbal blast (known as the sword) in these situations So I rang a few peak bodies including the department of fair trading got some handy knowledge to follow in regards to my options then began negotiations.

To the manufactorers credit he was open to all negotiations and we came to a mutually agreeable outcome. Monday I am to recieve a full check refunding my outlay and in addition the manufactorers have agreed to send me a Brand new model of the Vertiacc..........................problem free (Keeping the one I already have as a Spare).

I am very happy with the agreed outcome (Glad I didnt verbal anyone and get em offside) and am expexcting a check in the mail early next week.....................I'll keep you all posted

Regards Lou

NewLou
5th February 2005, 10:35 AM
On a more positive note check out the W.A.S.P.

http://www.piricdesign.com.au/

Regards Lou

journeyman Mick
5th February 2005, 10:43 AM
Lou,
if I understand correctly you are getting your money back, keeping the product and getting another brand new one for free? :confused: So two for the price of none? I read your post several times and that's how it reads to me, if that's what's happened great! :cool: If not, to quote the former Oxley moron "please explain". ;)

Mick

NewLou
5th February 2005, 11:01 AM
Yes aparently that is right Mick.....................yeah I know sounds to good to be true I haven't recieved any refund etc yet and that why I'm saying I'll keep you posted..........................Bear in mind that the unit I already have is substandard pre used model.

At this stage I'm not believing anything until its in my hot little hands however Its a positive outcome "In good faith" that if followed through vindicates the manufactorer from the initial "shipping error"

Regards Lou

NewLou
9th February 2005, 01:08 PM
Gidday all,

Its of no suprise to me that I have not yet recieved my full cheque for a refund from the manufactorer of the Vertiaac product (Baring problems with Australia Post) Please make your own judgements based on the outcomes you see posted on this thread I would hate to see other forum members have to go through the same process.

I plan to re establish negotiations. However if an 'amicable outcome' has not been achieved by the end of next week I'll begin formal proceedings. For anyone going through similar 'hassles' wherever possible try to get everything in writing I have a great archive of E-Mails in regards to the matter I am dealing with ;)

I'll keep you posted

Regards Lou

Iain
9th February 2005, 04:12 PM
Sounds like you are in front anyway, I think that the appropriate authority may take the same view :confused: :confused:

NewLou
10th February 2005, 12:44 PM
Gidday all,

Well it looks like my initial fears should have been directed towards Australia Post. Today I recieved a cheque in full. I must admit that the manufacteror of the Vertiacc product has had a positive customer focus, has been polite, prompt to address all my issues and highly reasonable throughout all negotiations 10 out of 10 for customer service!!!!!!

Unfortunately this leaves me in the situation where I cannot give a fair impartial amature review of this product so I'll leave that one upto another forum member ..............................

Happy Camper

REgards Lou

conwood
11th February 2005, 04:19 PM
Now you need one of those two way vices. Come to think of it I need one too.

conwood

NewLou
18th February 2005, 07:02 PM
Gidday Everyone!

Carba-tec are having a sale on forstner and sawtooth bits till round the end of the month n at just under $40.00 for a 16 bit set I reckon there not a bad deal

http://svc010.bne011i.server-web.com/catalogue/carbatec2/cache/header-381public__0-0.html?cache=no

Anywaz I could't resist n my two metric sets forstner and sawtooth arrived in the Mail today......................I couldn't resist testing them out on me trusty old drill press :rolleyes: so I'll do a post on what I got upto soon

REgards Lou

NewLou
18th February 2005, 07:16 PM
I decided to get the biggest bits 54's in both the forstner n sawtooth style and test em out on A Jig I've been mucking round with lately. Its basically a hardwood straight edge with a magnetic guide for guiding chisels n sawblades see:

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=12835

Anywaz shes made outta super hard n dense blackbutt I mean this is a tough piece a stock n I thought what better to use to test out the new Forstner n Sawtooth Bits!!!

Remembering that these are not HSS or Carbide pieces I found the bits appeared to struggle a bit from time to time with the stock and indeed at times would catch on the stock and spin in the chuck..................However after I got a feel for the bits this was kept to a minimum and they happily chewed through the Jig.

A picture says a thousand words ...................... Not bad for my first run with minimal markout and care lining up the stock..................A few thrashes with a chisel where all that was needed to tidy up to get satisfactory results.

REgards Lou

mkat
21st August 2005, 11:54 AM
I'm going to make a drill press extension table soon based on some of the great examples posted in this thread. For example, in the table below

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=4639

there are metal tracks and tightening devices on it, what are these thing called and where can I get them?

Barry_White
21st August 2005, 12:48 PM
mkat

Attached are some pics of my drill press table that I built. This a design I copied from Don Barton (DPB) on the forum. The tracks are marine sail track available from Capral Aluminium www.capral.com.au I paid $11.98 for a 4.1 metre length about 18 months ago.

The clamps are made from 6mm x 50mm flat aluminium bought from the same place. The bolts are just 1/4" coach bolts that slide into the sail track and the slot in the track stops the bolts from turning because of the square section under the head of the bolt. the wooden wing nuts are courtesy of Sturdee. Do a search on Sturdees Jigs and he tells how to make them.

With the shots
No. 1 is of the front view of the table.
No. 2 is the same but with the back fence open.
No. 3 is of the back of the table.
No. 4 is of underneath of how I attached it to the drill press table.

mkat
21st August 2005, 01:27 PM
Bazza,

The tables Don and you have built are excellent. The photos you posted explain how it's attached. Just a question about the square piece in the centre of the table with the bolt (?) holes in the corners, is that a loose piece? I'm just trying to visualise it. It looks like you haven't attached bolts to the round table itself, only via the wooden attachments on the edge of it to hold the table in place, is this correct?

zathras
21st August 2005, 02:08 PM
Great table Barry.

Do you have anything to say about the length of chain lurking around the back? Looks like you have some method of raising/lowering the table perhaps?

Barry_White
21st August 2005, 03:31 PM
Michael

If you mean the square piece in the centre on the top of the table with holes in the corners, that is so when the piece in the centre gets too many holes in it I can just replace it with a new piece.

If you mean the large square pieces under the table where it clamps to the steel table. The lowest square has the hole in it the same dia as the steel drill press table. This is to locate the made up table in relation to the drill press. The other square is to make up the thickness and also to lift the table up that fraction so as to give clearance to operate the height winder crank for the table.

Ther are no bolts going into the steel table the bolts actually screw into some T nuts that I have inserted in between the top square and the made up drill press table. I cut the lugs that hold the table to the drill press so as they would provide sufficient pressure and friction so as to hold the table without it turning.

Barry_White
21st August 2005, 03:36 PM
Great table Barry.

Do you have anything to say about the length of chain lurking around the back? Looks like you have some method of raising/lowering the table perhaps?

Ray

The chain is not anything sophisticated it is merely used to the attach the wedge to drift the chuck out of the morse taper.

If you look carefully in the first picture you can see the wedge hanging down on the end of the chain under the table. I have another chain on the other side of the drill press that I have the chuck key attached to.

zathras
21st August 2005, 07:39 PM
I have another chain on the other side of the drill press that I have the chuck key attached to.

Sounds like a good idea, you'll only get a few revs out of the drill before it all siezes up when you leave the chuck key in :D :D

Barry_White
21st August 2005, 08:22 PM
I have never left it in yet and I think it would hit me in the teeth before it wound around the spindle.

Greolt
21st August 2005, 09:33 PM
Barry this may be an old post and the design may have been around for a while but I have not seen it before.

Looks like a good simple improvement to a pedastral drill.

Just one question is the sail track glued in or srewed some way? I can't see from your photos.

Thanks, Greolt

Edit: Scratch that question. I just had another look at the photos:o

Barry_White
21st August 2005, 10:37 PM
Hi Greolt
As you have noticed they have been screwed in. Used about #6 x 1/2" CSK screws and used the largest drill that would fit in the slot to countersink the holes

mkat
22nd August 2005, 11:16 AM
Bazza,

How did you bend the flat aluminium clamps?

Andy Mac
22nd August 2005, 12:11 PM
Great thread guys,

You're getting me all enthused about my bench drillpress again. I've been meaning to make a full-on table and fence with stops etc, but I guess I lost inspiration a while back:mad: I lent the whole thing to some "mates" who fitted one of those drillpress mortice attachments to it. I don't know what they tried cutting, but the downward pressure was too much for the drill press and it BROKE THE CAST ARM that supports the table!! Of course they got it welded back together but its always been out of plumb, and attempts to buy a new piece have been unsuccessful. A whole new press is the only real option...
My word of advice (beyond not lending your gear) is don't use a mortice attachment without adding extra support under the table...like a car jack!!

Cheers,

Barry_White
22nd August 2005, 12:22 PM
Bazza,

How did you bend the flat aluminium clamps?

6mm Aluminium is fairly heavy but I just put it in the engineers vice and hit it with a lump hammer until it was at the angle I desired. I put an elongated slot in it to allow for movement on the bolt.

I have attached a couple of pics.

Sturdee
22nd August 2005, 04:58 PM
6mm Aluminium is fairly heavy but I just put it in the engineers vice and hit it with a lump hammer until it was at the angle I desired. I put an elongated slot in it to allow for movement on the bolt.

I have attached a couple of pics.

Or you can bend them to the desired shape. Seepost 49 to see how I've done them. (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=19716&page=4&pp=15)

For thicker bars all you have to do is use longer timber for more leverage. I've bent 10mm bars without effort, just make the slot before bending.

Peter.

Pat
22nd August 2005, 08:18 PM
Sturdee, with all due respect, I prefer Barry's method. The Lump hammer is the universal adjuster in my garage! Nothing stays straight around the lumpy! :D

Iain
22nd August 2005, 10:14 PM
Off Topic slightly
We had our Scout troop preparing for a camp last week and inspected their packs, one had his 2kg tent with a bloody great lump hammer rolled up in it to put the pegs in with, weighed more than the tent.
Universal adjuster indeed ;)

mkat
25th August 2005, 05:24 PM
Hi all,

Just wondering how people are mounting their floor drill presses?

Termite
25th August 2005, 05:35 PM
Hi all,

Deviate. :D

outback
25th August 2005, 05:39 PM
Hi all,

Low lights soft, music and ........................er, look just forget what I said. OK.

chylld
25th August 2005, 06:40 PM

on tv they showed a really simple way to do it, bolt it to a large-ish piece of 12mm or thicker mdf and that's that. you can make the base as big as you want/can, the bigger it is the more stable it'll be. same goes for bench drill presses too. you'll have to countersink the bolt heads so that they don't protrude below the mdf base but that's easily done with a chisel :)

Barry_White
25th August 2005, 07:15 PM
I inserted two 3/8 x 5/8 Loxins into the concrete floor and then bolted it down with two 3/8 bolts.

mkat
22nd September 2005, 02:47 PM
Hi Bazza,

What size t-track do you use, 22mm x 9mm or 32mm x 12mm or other?

Also, how did you cut the hole in the alumunium clamps? Did you drill then saw/file or is there a better way?

Regards,

Michael

Barry_White
22nd September 2005, 03:58 PM
Hi Bazza,

What size t-track do you use, 22mm x 9mm or 32mm x 12mm or other?

Also, how did you cut the hole in the alumunium clamps? Did you drill then saw/file or is there a better way?

Regards,

Michael

I used the 22mm x 9mm sail track.

With the clamp I drilled three holes in a row and then inserted the drill in the middle hole a moved the drill from side to side to break out the sections between the hole and then finished it off with a file.

Blu_Rock
27th March 2008, 08:06 PM
The new URL for the Australian Woodsmith Drill Speed Chart... see Issue 29 on the Online Extras Page (http://www.australianwoodsmith.com.au/extras.html)