PDA

View Full Version : got some turning time

joeyjons
19th June 2010, 06:44 PM
Hi all,

It's been a while since I've had some time in the shed, my wife decided to start a law degree which seems to take up a fair bit of time, but i figure I've got 6 years till retirement, yay for me! So i spent some time sharpening chisels this morning and then a bit of time making them blunt again
First is a little "thing" i was told that it is wattle, it's only about 2" x 1" high and finished with Glow
Second is an Ash mallet that I've been wanting to make for ages.
Last is a ball. A friend showed me a few that he had made and i thought that i just had to give it a go. Came up ok I reckon. It's about 5" in Dia and finished with shellawax.
Cheers All, Joe

artme
19th June 2010, 08:31 PM
:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup: All good from where I sit!

The ball is a beauty!:)

dai sensei
20th June 2010, 09:07 AM
Love the ball :cool:

munruben
20th June 2010, 09:46 AM
Yep! good work all round. :2tsup:

Allen Neighbors
20th June 2010, 10:05 AM
I like the little Ort Bowl. They sell well at craft shows.. :)
I like the Mallet, too, because I have one sort of like it, that I use all the time. It's like a carver's mallet.
Tryin' to get that ball round takes patience. Good job on all three. :)

Ed Reiss
20th June 2010, 11:44 AM
1 :2tsup: 2 :2tsup: and 3 :2tsup:

Willy Nelson
21st June 2010, 12:23 AM
Well done
I especially liked the ball, as I have yet to turn one, done some eggs, which I hold in a toilet pipe flange. How did you hold the ball, between a couple of turned cones?
Cheers
Willy

joeyjons
21st June 2010, 07:08 PM
Gday Willy

A friend explained the process to me before i attempted the ball. I'll try. After turning a cylinder, between centres, you make a very small grove in the centre, that will be the diameter of the ball. turn off either side of the grove to slightly larger than your ball. Then if you mount the ball between centres again using the grove you made and then turn down to that line, then your round! after that you just hold it in a couple of made up cups to sand and get rid of the little bit around the mounting points. Not sure if that's how everyone else does it but it works for me.

PS Thanks for all the comments, Joe