PDA

View Full Version : Sydney WWS Show & Tell

wheelinround
20th June 2010, 11:47 AM
Ok here it is post your booty ill gotten gains, bargains etc.

Lets hope the bloke who stole from a vendor is stupid enough to post his :((
EDITED: You're presuming that all the people who went to the Show are members, as only members can post here. Please Engage your brain before typing stuff like this.
ADMIN

EDITED: No but you never know we have had many a new member trying to sell stuff haven't we.

My Score was 3 pen type blanks from the fellow who was selling Queen African Ebony on Friday he had a big box of off cuts FREE.

I bought a nice piece of Huon Pine from Mal which I had pre-ordered pics later.

That was the extent of my spending spree as I forgot to go back and buy my Wood Wipe from the Rustins stand.:doh:

Ok so I scored even more

Sawdustmaker/Nick brought some nice Cumquat & Mandarin Marmalade a vintage batch June 2009

from Pat some timber QLD Wallnut, Tassie Myrtle, Kuri Pine, pencils which won't roll off the bench and something to see in the dark with. Thanks Pat

Off Simonatra/Sam a selection of pen blanks one being a piece of his Jim Bean Oak stave Thanks Sam.

Come on guys show what ya got.:2tsup:

wheelinround
20th June 2010, 01:05 PM
Ok here are the photo's

Slab of Huon from Mal's Boutique Timbers (http://boutiquetimbers.blogspot.com/)

Pen blanks from Simonatra/Sam

Wood from Pat one upright is Walnut one behind left not marked and forgot what Pat told me a bit of Corkwood

Pat
20th June 2010, 01:37 PM
Ray, both are Walnut from Victoria.

wheelinround
20th June 2010, 01:49 PM
Ray, both are Walnut from Victoria.

Thanks Pat timber looked similar but weight was very different the larger bit being much much heavier not due to size but density also.

Pat
20th June 2010, 01:56 PM
It maybe Ironbark:doh:

wheelinround
20th June 2010, 01:59 PM
It maybe Ironbark:doh:
Don't feel to bad mate I know your suffering this morning............sorry still suffering ok have Monday off. You can suffer and play with new tools n wood.:U

BozInOz
20th June 2010, 02:56 PM
I've posted this else where... but why not...
Detailed report on the blog - link in signature.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_TLpErNseUzY/TB1YtdTgUhI/AAAAAAAAEEA/VVdYQBaYFBY/s1600/P1070950.JPG
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_TLpErNseUzY/TB1aVY1lnvI/AAAAAAAAEEw/mcRyhiCGc2U/s1600/P1070959.JPG
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_TLpErNseUzY/TB1Z3mQHDGI/AAAAAAAAEEg/bOCdJbhJZCQ/s1600/P1070946.JPG
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_TLpErNseUzY/TBvqrqggqhI/AAAAAAAAEAw/5BVNt3-48uU/s1600/P1070960.JPG

corbs
20th June 2010, 08:54 PM
Here's my gear that I picked up, I got a set of bowl jaws which I had ordered from Carrolls. Didn't intend to pick up the grinder but at $130 I couldn't go past it as my current one is cheap and nasty (with an emphasis on nasty). I got a few bowl blanks to keep me going but by far my favourite score were the two pieces of Maple from Mapleman... really beautiful stuff that shimmers under the light. Its almost going to be a pity to cut it but I think I will get over that fairly quickly:wink:

Pat
20th June 2010, 08:59 PM
Corbs, you are to blame for me buying some maple as well. I'll post the pics tomorrow.

corbs
20th June 2010, 09:37 PM
Sorry Pat... I feel really bad about that:rolleyes:, is there anything I can do to make it up to you:D

Waldo
20th June 2010, 09:47 PM
C'mon Wongo, what did you buy?

inferno6688
20th June 2010, 10:29 PM
I must express my slight dissapointment with the show. It seems each year the exhibitors get less and less. Missing Bosch, HItachi, Ryobi, Dremel (from memory it was all part of a big Gasweld display). Timbecon, Carbatec got smaller, Hafco was tiny, Professional Woodwork Supplies, and there just seemed fewer bits and pieces to buy.
I picked up an Incra V27. They just had them for the retail price.I had to ask to get a 10% discount to match was Carbatec was offering instore (as they didn't have any at the show)

Wongo
20th June 2010, 11:20 PM
C'mon Wongo, what did you buy?

Not much. Just a bit of Rosewood and some bits and pieces.

:D

Waldo
20th June 2010, 11:24 PM
Black gloves, what are they for? Driving the frog car?

Christos
21st June 2010, 09:22 AM
Not much. Just a bit of Rosewood and some bits and pieces.

:D

You know for a while I thought that you were not going to post the Rosewood. As I think that every Sydney member at the show knew about the Rosewood. (also discussed during the lunch on Saturday :U)

Pat
21st June 2010, 12:04 PM
Well, I finally got roundtoit and sorted out the loot.

1. Vermec Chuck Drive Dog
2. Vermec 150mm Faceplate and M30insert
3. Vermec 200mm Faceplate
(I was pleasantly surprised to see Enzo there and to be able to look and touch his products in the flesh, hence the above purchases . . . and in a few weeks time a few more purchases of stuff he had already sold out on - geez the M30 stuff goes quick)
4. Kunos natural oil
5. Woodcut Handle to replace the one on the bowl saver . . . the original is now being used on the 10mm replacable tip gouge.
6. Tapermate, these 3 from Irene & Jim of CWS(Irene's the nice one:U)
7. Double Precision Square from Chris Vesper
8. A couple of Travel mugs and a few bottle openers from 043 turning
9. Pure Food grade Mineral oil and Sanding sealer from some rough (except Pauline) mob
10 Jarrah Burl slice from the WA mob
11 Yellow Box Burl slice
12 Blackbutt burl slice and (I think) Redgum from Mal
13 Qld Maple blanks from Mapleman
14 A T&WWWS vest and most importantly a stubbie holder:;

nz_carver
21st June 2010, 02:18 PM
pic 5 is the new lathe:D

wheelinround
21st June 2010, 03:50 PM
pic 5 is the new lathe:D

Hum me thinks you is going to be surprised Dave cause it has legs I think, giving you a another bench to play on.

Pat
21st June 2010, 03:54 PM
Hum me thinks you is going to be surprised Dave cause it has legs I think, giving you a another bench to play on.

Dave's actually correct, it needs a bench:q

wheelinround
21st June 2010, 03:57 PM
Dave's actually correct, it needs a bench:q

Ok bummer :U so looks like we build him a sturdy bench on his BBQ day.

nz_carver
21st June 2010, 04:42 PM
Ok bummer :U so looks like we build him a sturdy bench on his BBQ day.

sweet a new bench and a new lathe:D

wheelinround
21st June 2010, 05:29 PM
sweet a new bench and a new lathe:D

Start collecting wood Dave to make it the stand that is.

nz_carver
21st June 2010, 08:11 PM
off to the big green box this weekend

wheelinround
21st June 2010, 09:25 PM
off to the big green box this weekend

You best ask Pat for some dimensions me thinks.:rolleyes:

Christos
22nd June 2010, 09:24 AM
I was there for three days and over the three days I spent time looking at the demos, playing with the tools, and even purchasing something.

I picked up a Woodwork Forums hat. Simple reason behind that I did not have one.
Shapton Stones
Some Bessey Clamps
Router bit. Needed the 45 degrees one with out the bearing.
Card Scraper
Needed to renew my subscription to Australian Wood Review

And some Shellac Flakes from U Beaut.

Hardenfast
22nd June 2010, 08:59 PM
A very brief visit for me this year, I'm afraid. A few hours on Saturday afternoon was all I could fit in, as well as some offcuts from the "2 for $1" Oz Cedar bin. $5.00 worth - I'm too embarrassed to post a photo.

Still, it was nice to wander around and check out the timber and exhibits. I got to spend a little time with Ray (Wheelin) at the Ornamental Turners setup, which managed to stimulate me significantly (thanks Ray). He's about the only person I met there.

I'm determined to get back into some serious works once I've finished my current round of studies (later this year), and to make a much better investment in next year's show.

Wayne

wheelinround
22nd June 2010, 09:06 PM
:2tsup::2tsup: I was surprised to see you there Wayne great you made it and your son who seems keen to encourage and join in. So take a time out and have some shavings flying soon.

Ray

ubeaut
23rd June 2010, 10:30 PM
Had to go back in to show on Monday to finish packing up the stand and made my only purchase.

Over $3,000 worth of Metabo BAS 505 G Bandsaw
http://www.norwesttools.com.au/shop_image/product/fa6aa6177948516547207426cb44c573.jpg For the princely sum of http://www.ubeaut.biz/woohoo.gif $1,000.
Was offered to a couple of people Sunday afternoon for $1,500 and they both needed time to think about it. Offered it to Stan Ceglinski and me Monday morning for $1,000 and without hesitation we both said yes at the same time, Stan stepped aside for me, as he knew I was in need of a new one. That's what a good mate does. Thanks Stan you're one cool dude.:thumbup1:

Oh yeah, they didn't want to load it back onto the truck and freight it back so they were sacrificing it for way below cost price.

wheelinround
23rd June 2010, 10:37 PM
Neil an excellent buy would have to be deal of the show.

Blows my to pieces of Huon out the door I got for FREE. Thanks to the fellows from OT and the people who were in the Demo Hall selling Huon :2tsup:

Christos
23rd June 2010, 10:43 PM
That is a cool buy. :2tsup:

munruben
23rd June 2010, 10:49 PM
Wow! great buy Neil. :2tsup:

Christos
24th June 2010, 02:31 PM
Offered it to Stan Ceglinski and me Monday morning for $1,000 and without hesitation we both said yes at the same time, Stan stepped aside for me, as he knew I was in need of a new one. That's what a good mate does. Thanks Stan you're one cool dude.:thumbup1:

I also would like to add that I have not met Stan formally but you do get a good feeling when he is around. I think that he might be the only person at any wood show that yells at people and people listen. :2tsup: Nah even obey.

wheelinround
24th June 2010, 02:40 PM
Yes Christos Stan is a generous man have been on the receiving end myself left over Tassie Blackwood at the end of last years show still sitting under my bench :U

Hope all noticed the name change and website change if your looking for his timbers and New CD.

Did ya get one of those Neil and play it all the way home ?

Sawdust Maker
7th July 2010, 02:43 PM
Neil
great pickup :2tsup:

This is what I releived the good burghers of the WWS of and weighed down the credit card as well :doh:

I must say it was great to deal with Jim. He brought the dust extractor up for me and then gave me a show discount :2tsup:

Also good to deal with Neil. He even rang me when it was discovered I'd left my purchases on the counter :2tsup:

Wheelin gave me the pen blanks on the left and the people on the Solomon Ebony stand gave us the blanks of ebony upon leaving on the Sunday at knockoff :U

Also picked up some hss steel from McJings, some blanks from trend and that Tassie timber stall near the forum stand. and a scruffy looking plank of WA sheoak from a couple of often wood frequenters of the forum

and a discounted pen kit from Mark (043turning) on the promise that I'll post a piccy when I get it finished - probably next week. He also gave us a couple of blanks to clothe it in :D

I_wanna_Shed
8th July 2010, 10:27 PM
A nice stash there Nick....

I'll be very interested to hear your thoughts on the air cleaner. Been thinking about something like that for my shed (the concrete floor is very, very, very dusty with cement dust, which gets stirred up by walking or sweeping. I really need to put some sort of cement finish on it).

Nathan.

Sturdee
8th July 2010, 11:11 PM
(the concrete floor is very, very, very dusty with cement dust, which gets stirred up by walking or sweeping. I really need to put some sort of cement finish on it).

Nathan.

You could also put down rubber floor mats which will solve the cement dust as well as giving a much warmer and comfortable floor to walk on. Clark Rubber has mats 600mm *600mm that interlocks with dovetails :D that is easy to cut to size.

I did my workshop and it's very comfortable and if you drop a tool it isn't damaged. :2tsup:

Peter.