PDA

View Full Version : Stops during my trip

MikeK
30th September 2004, 09:29 AM
Woodies,

My family and I are heading off to just north of Coffs Harbour for a bit of R&R. Our starting point is Sydney. Are there any "must stop at" places "along the way" ? I was thinking of places like the HNT Gordon factory and maybe some timber sellers. Anyone have any suggetions?

Regards,
Mike.

craigb
30th September 2004, 09:55 AM
HNT Gordon's is near Ballina. May be a bit further north form Coff's than you are going?

There is that timber place at Toronto that I've not been to but other members reckon is o.k.

Then of course, there's Timber Town at Wauchope.

Craig

Barry_White
30th September 2004, 10:40 PM
There is also the Woodshop at Ulmarra just north of Grafton. They have a huge range of different timbers pretty fancy prices though.

Baz
30th September 2004, 10:53 PM
Go up to Dorrigo, a very nice drive, check out Bellingen on the way, the old Butter Factory and the Yellow Shed. Near the lookout at Dorrigo there is someone selling offcuts (don't have any details), there is also a sawmill in the bush the other side of Dorrigo, can't rember his name, bought some Camphor Laurel off him many years ago, he has a yearly sale up there with the local woodworkers, someone should be able to point you in the right direction.
Hope this helps.
Cheers
Barry

Baz
1st October 2004, 06:38 PM
Mike, another one at Bellingen is Hydes Creek Woodworks (02)6655 1385.
Cheers
Barry

Gumby
1st October 2004, 07:46 PM
When you leave Sydney, turn left not right. When you get to Melbourne, you have reached heaven. There isn't anywhere better.

MikeK
2nd October 2004, 10:49 PM
Gents,

Thanks for all of the great suggestions.

Gumby - having lived in Sydney and Melbourne for about the same duration, I think that I can honestly say that each city has its owns strenghts.

Regards,
Mike.

vsquizz
2nd October 2004, 11:12 PM
Mike, Two good things coming out of Melbourne, Hume Hwy and Tullamarine.:D

Nope, you need to head west and bring your new toy (the green one) and I'll sort it out for you. Ayres Rock is nice at this time of year. The dolphins are hangin around at Monkey Mia. Perfect weather for the Bungle Bungles and they are getting some good barra in at Tinaroo I hear on the grapevine. Should make for an interesting drive.

BTW: Has anybody heard from Outback latley?

MikeK
3rd October 2004, 08:55 PM
Squizzy,

I've also lived in Perth and have toured the west extensively. I still get across every now and again to catch up with some (sadly decreasing in number) relatives.

re bringing my new toy - not sure if I can check it on without the 500kgs causing a significant baggage charge! :D

Regards,
Mike.