PDA

View Full Version : Straw Bale Shed anyone?

clare
21st June 2010, 07:18 PM
Anyone out there built a straw bale shed? And if so, did you use framing made of steel or timber? Thinking this could be a good way to go with such great thermal rating and sound reduction properties. Just wonder if using the carcase of a mass produced shed for economy and fill in with bales would make sense. What do you reckon guys????
Cheers, Clare. :)

derekh
21st June 2010, 07:30 PM
Why not a load-bearing wall ? There are plenty of examples and information out there. I participated in a workshop with Huff N Puff (Strawbale House (http://glassford.com.au/main/)) to build a 15m * 10m stable with load bearing walls.

Using a carcass is also a sound way to go because it ensures you and your materials are under cover rather than out in the open. I believe the posts are on the inside of the wall to reduce condensation on the metal posts that will add moisture to the bales and hence weaken them over time.

cheers
Derek

watson
21st June 2010, 09:13 PM
G'day Clare,
Check the album out here...Renovate Forums (http://www.renovateforum.com/members/watson/albums/straw-bale-house-album/)

derekh
21st June 2010, 10:31 PM
Nice pics Noel, any more hiding on the web ? Also, is it load bearing or infill ?

cheers

watson
21st June 2010, 10:39 PM
That one is......"outfill"
Inside the frame is made from Railway sleepers brought over this way when they re-did the Nullabour rail line. Frame is like a Stonehenge thingo, and the straw was clad around the outside of the frame, and tied back to the frame.
Render is hand applied cement/lime render (prolly) three coats......externally painted with exterior acrylic, and the interior is lime whitewash.
Size is 6 metre square
I also have a loadbearing straw shed....which was the start of my workshop..about 6 metres by 4.
No dramas so far in quite a few years of weather.

clare
22nd June 2010, 10:51 PM
Thanks so much guys...great info, brilliant photos. Love these houses!
Clare. :U

derekh
23rd June 2010, 07:54 AM
I have a stack of photos showing two load bearing structures being built. One is a small shed built at Ryde TAFE, NSW and the other is the stable built in Yatala, QLD.

If you're interested, PM me with your details and I can copy and mail the CDs.

cheers
Derek

derekh
23rd June 2010, 08:01 AM
Here's one of the layout showing the size and me after day 4 of construction.

cheers

Fuzzie
23rd June 2010, 08:21 AM
Just out of interest, do termites like hay?

derekh
23rd June 2010, 01:28 PM
To quote John Glassford (my strawbale teacher) : Hay is for Horses, Straw is for Houses. If I'm correct, hay is slashed from grass crops (lucerne) and straw is residue from grain crops (wheat, barley, rice) and has a much firmer fibre structure.

I have never heard of termites being an issue, mice can be if the render is not maintained and deteriorates. Moisture is a faster killer of strawbale structures than anything else, hence good eaves are a must.

Ian Smith
23rd June 2010, 01:57 PM
Just out of interest, do termites like hay?

Dunno about termites, but years ago in another life as a PMG tech on subs install, I recall going to a block with an old house at the front and a brand new one just behind it.

The owner wanted his service moved from the old to the new and in the ensuing conversation it turned out that the old house was of mud brick construction but it had been condemned because rats had infested the walls. His story was that they had used too much straw when making the mud bricks.

Ian

clare
23rd June 2010, 09:15 PM
Thanks for sharing the photos Derek. Great to see! I have to admit I'm a bit worried about moisture and termites. Had thought the steel framing would at least remove the termite possibility but condensation on the steel would introduce moisture so not sounding such a good (or necessary) way to go. I've heard termites love mud brick but can't get their teeth into rammed earth...I'll keep mulling it over. Cheers. Clare.