PDA

View Full Version : Camphor reaction

Ozceltic63
22nd June 2010, 10:31 AM
G'day.

At the Sydney show on sunday, near Carroll's a gentleman was turning
some wet camphor. Smelled good to me but SWMBO nearly got nocked off her feet and had to vacate the area. She also has reactions to lavender.
Anyone else have problems with camphor?
If i turn this stuff at home i will have to let her know so she does not come visiting the shed. Come to think of it, anyone got some spare camphor lol. :U
Liam

bowl-basher
22nd June 2010, 10:46 AM
Hi Liam
I was turning a bowl at the Sydney Craft Show and a lady from the next stand complained that she was feeling sick..... a bit of a problem as we were baging and selling the curlies for our charity tin ..She had to go outside when we needed to turn camphor also some turners have a reaction to the sap
with the amount I have stacked in the shed I am glad that I am not one of them
Regards
Bowl-basher

wheelinround
22nd June 2010, 10:56 AM
So thats where you were I thought you not being at the Wood Show you were off touring the roads. Still you were turning all those woman you had to handle :;

Allen Neighbors
22nd June 2010, 11:38 AM
Liam, I've never had a problem with it, and never thought about anyone else having a problem...
I may get kicked someday, for handing a little camphor box to a person and saying, "smell this, and tell me what it is..."
Hope you don't get in trouble with SWMBO....

bowl-basher
22nd June 2010, 01:34 PM
So thats where you were I thought you not being at the Wood Show you were off touring the roads. Still you were turning all those woman you had to handle :;
Not so :o:o:o
I was talking about the one a few months ago at hombush..... I caled to see you on the stand Sunday but you had bolted
Bowl-Basher

wheelinround
22nd June 2010, 02:27 PM
Not so :o:o:o
I was talking about the one a few months ago at hombush..... I caled to see you on the stand Sunday but you had bolted
Bowl-Basher

:doh: here I thought you were at Darling Harbour Craft & Quilt fair last weekend.

Sunday I was at home :C resting sorry I missed seeing you BB.

Hope you checked out the Index Bowl jig and the Oval turning.:2tsup:

RufflyRustic
22nd June 2010, 09:02 PM
Oh yes, the CL strikes again :( i don't suffer myself, thank goodness, but I have seen a forumite go from normal to nearly instantaneous migraine, the full blown sort, nausea, spots on eyes, sensitive to light etc etc etc.

mkypenturner
22nd June 2010, 09:53 PM
hey liam
the only type of reaction i get is when i see or hear of somebody else getting the camphor AND I MISS OUT :((

Farnk
22nd June 2010, 11:21 PM
Love turning the stuff myself, and people really like the smell that accompanies the pieces I give them.

The shed ends up smelling like a Nanna's knickers drawer tho!
As far as ill effects, I find that the skin on my forearms breaks out in a rash where the shavings contact them during turning.

brendan stemp
23rd June 2010, 12:28 AM
That was me turning the wet camphor on Jim's stand. All weekend. No problems for me but I have developed a reaction to European Boxwood. It makes me sneeze a lot the following morning. Horses for courses. Some people will react to one timber where others to another. However I have never heard of anyone reacting to camphor. So when you say she was almost "knocked off her feet" it wasn't because I sent a piece of wood flying????:U

Ozceltic63
23rd June 2010, 09:24 AM
She got an instant headache and wobbly on her feet etc. as soon as she was out of the area she got better. With Lavender however, well that literally makes her drop almost instantly and gives her a migraine for hours.

PAH1
23rd June 2010, 01:46 PM
My mother has the same reaction, however she can burn it in a wood stove and is fine. She can go near dad when he is cutting the stuff up or turning it.

thumb trimmer
30th June 2010, 12:14 AM
Touch wood (excuse the poor pun), but no probs here ... well I hope not given I just finished turning some Camphor ...

I did have the "...go from normal to nearly instantaneous migraine, the full blown sort, nausea, spots on eyes, sensitive to light etc etc etc" ... bit happen to me last night turning some Western Red Cedar ... made me feel rotten.:sick2:

TT

turnerted
30th June 2010, 05:30 PM
It can be powerfull stuff . Last time I was cutting up some into slabs , I ended up with a big patch of dead lawn where the shavings had fallen and they were only sitting there for about an hour . Fortunatly the fumes don't worry me .

Ted

Murrayland
2nd July 2010, 03:08 PM
Camphor not my only problem also get asthma type reactions when turning Juniper.

Pat
2nd July 2010, 04:44 PM
Camphor clears the sinus', but Mackay Cedar sends me woosy.:;

Manuka Jock
2nd July 2010, 11:05 PM
I've never come across camphor or anyone who has a reaction to it .

We have a bloke in our guild who cannot even be in the workshop when macrocarpa is being worked ,
and our oldest member has not worked with mac since about 1946 because his wife is allergic to it , and the dust travels home with him .

NeilS
3rd July 2010, 01:13 PM
Camphor not my only problem also get asthma type reactions when turning Juniper.

Welcome to the forum, Murrayland.

Good, another SA member. At this rate we will be having our own Turn-Ups locally.

cultana
4th July 2010, 02:49 AM
Good, another SA member. At this rate we will be having our own Turn-Ups locally.

When ??
But you are still 400 km down that boring road, not an exciting drive at all ..

underfoot
4th July 2010, 06:28 AM
The only wood I've had a big reaction to was a load of spalted jacaranda,

during sanding I'd get a bit pale and woozy but I persevered because I was convinced that what I was making was the best sculpture anyone had ever made :rolleyes:

however, overnight the sculpture had somehow turned into a piece of crap :?

it seems (explained by a local arborist) that spalting in jacaranda can be produced by the invasion of psilocybin spores :oo:.....the same hallucinogen found in magic mushrooms.......

hmmm........that could help explain a few other things as well:rolleyes::rolleyes:

NeilS
4th July 2010, 10:21 AM
But you are still 400 km down that boring road, not an exciting drive at all ..

So, maybe having done 400km you might think nothing of doing another 600km and joining the Mexicans for one of theirs...:rolleyes:

You could always offer to have one up your way, only problem is the drive is just as boring going up, and then maybe nobody will Turn-Up...:U

Anyway, I'm not in a position to host a get together myself for some time yet, so just idle talk a this stage.

Back on topic. Silky Oak and Oz Red Cedar are the ones that do it most for me.