PDA

View Full Version : MP3 drive not showing

Gingermick
22nd June 2010, 09:22 PM
Just bought a new mp3 player and plugged it in. Lights are on but I can't get the thing to come up in windows. It's plugged into a usb hub.
The only other drive it seems to accept is my NAS. Which is plugg into my router, not my usb hub which is pluged into my puter which is turned on, but I'll try turning it off and on again.

Master Splinter
22nd June 2010, 09:56 PM
Try plugging it directly into the computer - take any other hardware out of the equation.

And (assuming it's one of these mp3 players with fancy supporting software) make sure you install the software before you plug it in - otherwise Windows might load a generic driver that won't actually work with it.

USB music players and mobile phones are still firmly in the land of 'Plug and Pray' devices.

wheelinround
22nd June 2010, 09:58 PM
Mick how old is your computer if it still has Old USB sockets prior USB 2 or it may need to be powered by itself I have an external HDD needs to be.

Gingermick
23rd June 2010, 07:53 AM
that may be it. It works on my sons computer and his is 3 years old and is 6 years newer than mine:oo: and has windows 7
So I have to get a new computer, thanks Ray. I'll tell SWMBO that in order for us to get music onto her new player we......... no that wont work. :doh:
thanks fellas, I did plug it in the machine directly too, new puter it must be, yeah

wheelinround
23rd June 2010, 09:25 AM
that may be it. It works on my sons computer and his is 3 years old and is 6 years newer than mine:oo: and has windows 7
So I have to get a new computer, thanks Ray. I'll tell SWMBO that in order for us to get music onto her new player we......... no that wont work. :doh:
thanks fellas, I did plug it in the machine directly too, new puter it must be, yeah

Yep USB 1 won't run USB 2 I wont tell you an adaptor card or USB2 hub can be fitted for about $20 tops but it will slow it down more if that helps. :;

r3nov8or
23rd June 2010, 10:55 AM
Since you have a NAS, it is likely you a 'drive letter clash' and so Windows won't add the drive. e.g. Windows wants to open it as E:, but E: is already used.

Try this -

With your USB MP3 player plugged in, right-click "My Computer", and click "Manage".

Click "Disk Management".

Does the resulting window on the right list a drive that does not have a drive letter? If so, right click that drive and click "Change Drive Letter and Paths". Then assign it to a drive letter that is not used in your list - you might choose M: for MP3.

That drive should open as M: drive now, and in the future.

Gingermick
24th June 2010, 03:50 PM
well it did open up on G drive the first time, but I had to turn the NAS on to get the music to transfer. I checked manage to change letter for the Nas but I couldn't see it. I'll try again with mp3. the nas is plugged into my router too.

Gingermick
24th June 2010, 07:58 PM
both on, drive letter changed and she worked, thanks mate. :2tsup:

r3nov8or
24th June 2010, 08:14 PM
That's great. Very pleased.