PDA

View Full Version : New Shed Maybe.

Pagie
23rd June 2010, 04:23 PM
G'day, I was getting all excited the last couple of weeks planing a new shed for a house we were going to buy down in Foster Vic. looked at sheds of all sizes up to ridiculous sizes that i could not possibly afford. Thought I better check with the Council though this is on a 1 acre block. When the guy started talking about setbacks, significant environmental overlays, etc, it doesn't look like happening. At least not with this house.. Going to talk with the council tomorrow. Maybe face to face I can get somewhere. Also going to look at another house. What is the best size for a shed to build small boats,up to 20ft. I have been working in a garage about 30ft by 15ft. I think I need at least twice that. Any opinions anyone?

malb
24th June 2010, 05:08 PM
I built a barn 12m x 16m and 6.2m high in suburban Croydon four years ago. 2000m2 block with a 170m2 house and the barn. No hassles with the council about planning permits etc, just fronted up to an appointment with the planning department at 9:15 on Christmas Eve with a site plan and general drawings of the barn etc. No Planning issues or permits required unless I wanted to remove trees. Needed to remove one tree so a $250 arbourist report and $100 Council inspection fee provided the permit to remove the tree. Building Permit via commercial inspectors and up she went.

Issues that interested the council were Not for Commercial use, and house and barn did not occupy more than 1/3 of the site area. I thought I could be in for a good battle, but had a No Planning Permit Required notation plus the name, contact details and signature of the Planning person on my drawings within 10 minutes. Don't despair until you try.

No doubt it will be different down on the coast. I grew up at Waratah and went to High School at Foster. Last there about 18 years ago for a cousins wedding, can't be bothered going back as the isolation I knew and loved was gone when my family left 30 years ago.

Pagie
25th June 2010, 08:18 PM
I spoke to the council person. No Go. he said he wouldn't say no, wouldn't say yes. lots of problems, maybe they could be got by but could not give an answer for atleast 6 months. so scratch at least 2 houses of the list. Gunna look at one on Monday that already has a shed. This joker said the area i was looking at was an environmentally protected area, then he said cows were better for the environment than me building a shed on a 1 acre property that had a house and some small sheds on it for the last 20 years.

Jack of
25th June 2010, 10:16 PM
Where abouts in Foster are you looking?? Big stink in south gippy at the moment about building on low lying land because of rising sea levels.(even though the bulk of the de sal plant is being built below sea level) If you go out of town a bit say around Fish Creek up in the hills, you may have more luck.

bsrlee
25th June 2010, 10:31 PM
Sounds like some one is looking for a 'back hander' aka $$$$.

If possible, look for property in another council area - once the rot sets in at a council it tends get in all over.

You need to do some more research on rural building requirements & State Govt. mandated building codes covering how big you can go before the council needs to give permission - in NSW it went from 1x10m sq. shed to 2x20m sq sheds a couple of years ago.

Have a talk to some of the local shed & outbuilding suppliers, they may be able to advise the standards & possibly which councils are 'hard to get on with'.

Pagie
25th June 2010, 10:53 PM
Yes thanks for the ideas. I wonder what the $ cost is now. In Sherbrook a few years ago, maybe 27 years the cost of a permit was $500. I have looked in the hills too. Some of the places they sell both sides of the same acre.

Pagie
11th August 2010, 08:17 PM
Well I found a house I like on 2.5 acres. It has a 60ft x 20ft shed with a concrete floor. No power on the shed yet. If we can sell our place in the Dandenongs we will buy this house and then I will have a shed to fitout.. maybe lots of fun.

Dave50
11th August 2010, 08:54 PM
ah how big should a mans shed be??? what a question!! two words for that "BLOODY HUGE!!!!", mines 30' x 20', I'm shooting a side build on it one day (make it into an "L" shape then build the other side making a big "T" of basically 30' x 60') basically if you need 20' working space you will need 40' of shed (only gives 10' all round') but the bigger the better :U

munruben
14th August 2010, 09:07 PM
No matter how big, its never big enough.:)

Beetle Shirt
17th August 2010, 02:27 PM
Yep. Make your best guess how big you need it, then triple it. Every 3 years double it again. :D