PDA

View Full Version : Basic tools, what to buy, HELP!!!!

fozz
24th June 2010, 11:05 PM
Gday folks, I've spent the last couple of weeks reading most of the woodturning threads and maybe because of that I find myself in need of some help.

Now before you jump from a great height and tell me to use the search function, thats what I've been doing for the last couple of hours and I'm still no better off, like google, if the question aint asked right then the answers dont flow.

I need you expert advice on not only the type but the size of each woodturning chisel you would recommend me buying as a basic kit to start out with and why you recommend that particular one.

Right at this point of time I dont know what turning I plan to do so I am after a basic kit to get me going.

Looking forward to your recommendations,

Ross.

Wongdai
24th June 2010, 11:23 PM
If it is woodturning advice you want, you should probably go ask this question in the woodturning section of this site. :)

fozz
24th June 2010, 11:31 PM
If it is woodturning advice you want, you should probably go ask this question in the woodturning section of this site. :)
Last time i looked this is the woodturning section..............................................

RETIRED
24th June 2010, 11:35 PM
It is. I hope.

Fozz, if you can wait a fortnight when you come down here you will have a far better idea.

My opinion is that you buy good quality tools first.

Rifleman1776
24th June 2010, 11:39 PM
My suggestion would be to not buy a kit or set of tools. Buy only the individual tools you will use most often. Sets often contain tools you may never use. If you find you want them later, then you can acquire with time and experience.
I suggest a 1" skew; 1" spindle gouge and a parting tool. You can do 99% of all spindle projects you may encounter. Get the best you can afford. The cryo treated tools hold an edge better than almost anything else. And, of course, learn how to sharpen.

fozz
24th June 2010, 11:52 PM
Thanks Ian, I'm certainly planning on buying quality, I've just got to the point of being very confused as to whats needed and was asking the question so I can get an idea of what I'm going to be up for dollar wise.

I,ve looked at the Sorby, and Kelton Industries stuff and just today found out I know someone who is able to source P&N tools at a very good price so that the quality I'm prepared to pay for.

I can wait the two weeks, the lathe wont arrive for at least 3 weeks anyway, just getting alittle impatient to get things moving.

Ozkaban
25th June 2010, 11:08 AM
Firstly, is really does depend on what you want to do.

Secondly, the number of different tools on the market is staggering and probably unnecessary (though it doesn't stop people like us buying too many :D ).

As a beginner, a decent roughing gouge, (1"-ish) skew, (fairly fine) spindle gouge and a parting tool are about all you'd need for a bit. If you want to do bowls then something like a 3/8 bowl gouge would be a good addition.

As for brand, there are lots of great ones out there. P&N is a very good brand, Aus made and reasonable price. The main complaint against them is that the insides of the flutes on the gouges needs to have the machining marks polished out, which is not a major complaint. I use them and am very happy with the ones I've got.

As for the rest, buy quality as you need it and pick it up as you go along. It's also seriously worth taking up on his offer :2tsup:

Cheers,
Dave

Spanner69
25th June 2010, 11:43 AM
As a reletive new woodturner my self ( about 12 months only) I can say go with the advice given above.

Firstly wait the few weeks till you go where you are going .... .... that would be great

AND

As Rifleman said the htree tools he said will do most things you will need as a beginner BUT I would also suggest a roughing gouge to get rid of the bulk before turning with finesse. :)