PDA

View Full Version : ADELAIDE - T&WWW Show 2010

ubeaut
25th June 2010, 03:08 PM
The Adelaide - Timber & Working With Wood Show 2010 is now only 4 weeks away, Friday 23rd to Sunday 25th July.

I feel partly responsible for this show being run as I spent some time talking to the new organizers, Everything Exhibitions & Events (EEE) convincing them to run the Show this year, after not running it last year and having a major financial loss the year before.

They are throwing everything into this show to make it successful. However without the backing of SA Exhibitors and the public I doubt that there will be another genuine, stand alone, Woodworking Show, staged in SA again for some time to come.

EEE have done everything in their power to drag these shows back onto their feet since taking over the running of them 2 years ago. To date they have succeeded wonderfully with both Exhibitors and Patrons saying they are the best shows for many long years.

More genuinely woodworking orientated exhibitors than ever before
New and exciting displays
Wider isles for easier access
Lots of rest areas (lounges) where visitors can rest-up ready for their next assault on the demonstrators or Exhibitor
Woodwork Forums Lounge (meeting area) with Forums Stand
More demonstration areas than ever before with new and vibrant demonstrators who don't do the same thing show after show.

You could pay over a hundred dollars a day to get what your entry fee will give you. Just look at the list of Demonstrators and Seminars below:

Join internationally renowned wood experts for FREE demonstrations and workshops:
http://www.eee.net.au/vipwoody/scobie.jpg NEIL & LIZ SCOBIE NEW!
NEIL SCOBIE
Maker of fine furniture. Discover how to inset different types of hinges, make framing joints, drawers and table tops; as well as how to get the right finish for your project.
LIZ SCOBIE NEW!
Artist in decorative finishes for wood. Learn simple and easy ways to apply painted finishes, texture and decorative surfaces using stamps, blocks and stencils.

Seminar 1 - Neil Scobie
Stand F12, Under Banner: blue
10.30 - Hinging Doors - How to inset different types of hinges into cabinet doors, Including butt hinges, invisible hinges and pin hinges.
11.30 - Making framing joints - Including mortice and tenon joints, dowel joints, domino joints.
12.30 - Making and securing table tops - How to edge join boards. Show different ways of attaching table tops to a table.
2.15 - How to get a good finish - Show different types of finishes, including oils and waxes.
3.15 - Making Drawers - How to make a dovetailed drawer with drawer slips.
4.15 - Making framing joints - Including mortice and tenon joints, dowel joints, domino joints.

Seminar 2 – Liz Scobie
Stand F14, Under Banner: green
10.30 - An introduction to painted finishes for wood - Learn about timber preparation, designing, Applying paint, background finishes and how to seal the surface.
11.30 - Applying texture to the surface - There are many ways of adding texture to your work that don’t involve carving. The products available today make this so easy.
12.30 - Decorative surfaces - Learn simple ways to create a design using stamps, blocks and stencils. Or if you prefer to plan your own designs find out how.
2.15 - An introduction to painted finishes for wood - Learn about timber preparation, designing, applying paint, background finishes and how to seal the surface.
3.15 - Applying texture to the surface – There are many ways of adding texture to your work that don’t involve carving. The products available today make this so easy.
4.15 - Decorative surfaces - Learn simple ways to create a design using stamps, blocks and stencils. Or if you prefer to plan your own designs find out how.

http://www.eee.net.au/vipwoody/stan.jpg STAN CEGLINSKI
Traditional woodworker Stan has been educating and entertaining Australians with his seminars and demonstrations for the past 20 years. Join in a traditional hand saw race and see him split a trunk into a beautiful functional object. Learn fundamentals of product design and enter Stan’s Bush Craft Competition to make a comfy bench seat. Join Stan for lunch and bring your woodworking questions!

Seminar 3 – Stan Ceglinski
Stand J3, Under Banner: black
10.30 - Splitting Wood - "What’s the big fuss all about ?...Talks on the dynamics of timber, riven timber and sawn timber.Demonstrations of each with alarming results!
11.00 - Product Design - Fundamentals of good design and incorporating the natural strengths of timber into a beautiful bench seat.
12.00 -"The Great Saw Race" - A warm up of 30 minutes of kids, mums, dads,.anybody in fact , wanting to “have a go” to win a handsaw… After this warm up, the real thing…100 yr old, 1.8 mtr cross cut saws…the public invited to cut a log the way our forefathers did every day.
1:00 - Lunch time - Stan & the 3 guests to have lunch at a table & chairs set up in Stan’s area, any of the audience people are welcome to come & join and ask questions etc… I’ll have an electric kettle at my display & a large bottle of water.
2.00 - Understanding trees - A talk & demo’s of resource today, Splitting a tree section & crafting a cricket bat and stump set, a rolling pin, cooking / kitchen tools and a BIG spoon…
3.00 -The Great Saw Race - Another chance of cutting up a log !
4.00 - Making a comfy bench seat - Watch as Stan “slaps up” a comfy bench seat…cheap as chips and will last generations !!!
5.00 - Knock off time. Time to go home...

http://www.eee.net.au/vipwoody/patt.jpgPATT GREGORY NEW!
Woodworking for women. Meet one of Australia’s leading female woodworkers and be inspired by her creativity and passion for, what she describes as, a "holistic craft that engages the mind and body". Build a $10 table, learn easy woodworking steps and find out what tools you’ll need.
Seminar 4 - Patt Gregory
Stand D1, Under Banner: purple
10.30 - You can do it! - Woodwork is a holistic craft that engages the mind and the body. With just a few bits of aligned information and tricks of the trade, you can do it. Current student testimonial of how Sarah was between a rock and a hard place and found learning woodwork gave her a personal ‘inner renovation.’
Slide show - illustrating how some other women who have learned basic woodwork find it is all they need to have the confidence to move on to build a deck or a kitchen or a chook pen and how a 6 yr old who made a workbench in hour lessons after school over a couple of months.
My own story - of how I became a carpenter/joiner and how that changed my life as a secretary. Interaction with audience and their stories. Who has had a go at woodwork? Who is married to a builder or carpenter? Who doesn’t have the time to do anything around home?
11.00 - Your Tool Kit - Your needs are inexpensive and can be used to build heaps of stuff. What to look for when choosing tools. Safety with tools.
Timber talk – The properties of wood, what to look for, where to buy it including recycled and salvaged timber sources.
Your First Project – A small display shelf for useful stuff using three traditional woodworking joints made with both hand and power tools. Using a step by step method to show how the project is made and asking a couple of members of the audience to participate to learn the techniques.
2.00 - Building a $10 Table from a Wooden Pallet - The easy to use tools required (Kreg Pocket Jig), Drop Saw and Drill. Safety and safety equipment. Four easy woodworking steps – Measure (twice cut once!) Cut, Drill, Assemble.
4.00 - Question time -with Patt

http://www.eee.net.au/vipwoody/tim.jpg TIM SKILTON - Woodturner
Tim Skilton is the creator, manufacturer and exporter of the Skilton Power Sanding System, distributed worldwide. Tim developed the “Come & Try Woodturning” program, which over 1000 people around Australia have participated in.

Seminar 5 – Tim Skilton
Stand J11 Under Banner: orange
Come and Try Woodturning – Demonstrations throughout each day of the show Sponsored by Carba-Tec
Tim’s workshop is centred upon an informative, hands on approach that aims to inspire and entertain. He is particularly passionate about assisting the ‘next generation’ of wood turners in discovering and enjoying the art form and its benefits as a productive and creative interest for young men and women. Each person to participate in Tim’s workshop will create their own honey dipper and receive a pot of honey. One participant from each state will be chosen to go into the grand final in Melbourne – see the competitions page for more details!

http://www.eee.net.au/vipwoody/neils.jpg NEIL ELLIS NEW!Professional Woodcarver, Woodturner, Restorer/finisher
Founder of Central Victorian School of Woodcrafts and principal tutor for 15 years.
Inventor and manufacturer of U-Beaut Polishes range of products and Manufacturer of The Original Woodturner's Rotary Sander.
Releasing at the show new oil for salad bowls, butcher blocks, bread boards and wooden food implements as well as metal.
Continuous demonstrations throughout the day. Plus formal demonstrations below:
Seminar 6 – Neil Ellis
Stand 58, Under Banner: white
10:30 - Flat surface finishes for furniture - Achieve a better than professional finish easily and quickly. Improve on finishes you have already done. Refinishing a surface for the perfect look and feel.
12:00 - Finishing for Woodturners - Make your turned work come to life with finishes that take seconds to do and last for years. Friction Polishes, super fine abrasives, wax, water dye, techniques and uses for the ultimate finish.
1:30 - Decorative Finishes Basic decorative finishes, for flair on furniture, woodturnings, and almost anything else wooden. Enhance and value add to your work and have a bit of fun doing it. Artistic talent not required.
3:00 - Question & Answer Session - help and information for all finishing and restoration problems. Help for everyone with a finishing problem, be it for furniture, turned work, carvings, restoration or anything else. Turn up with your questions and all will (hopefully) be answered - Demonstrations where possible.

http://www.eee.net.au/vipwoody/guilio.jpgGUILIO MARCOLONGO NEW!
Woodturning
First time in Adelaide!
Internationally renowned woodturning expert Guilio Marcolongo's entertaining and exciting shows will incorporate tool handling, finishing and design. From making a bowl or jam chucking - to multiple-step projects and sanding - Guilio's demonstrations are tailored to be of use to everyone.
Seminar 7 - Guilio Marcolongo
Stand J7, Under Banner: brown

10.45 - A sphere and Spoon - Incorporate spindle turning and jam fit chucking
11.30 - Bowl with a scallop rim - Guilio will show you how to cut scallops the easy way
1:00 - End grain box with an off centre insert - Be shown a quick way to hallow out an end grain box. You will also be introduced to an off centre technique for the off centre insert.
2.30 - Square edge bowl - Guilio will show you how to go about turning a bowl with a square edge.

http://www.eee.net.au/vipwoody/theo.jpg THEO HARALAMPOU NEW!
Woodturner
Understanding principles of spindle turning with gouge and skew
Fun for kids – ballerinas, UFO’s, tippee tops and more
Simple spheres
Make elegant letter openers
Chatter work
Pen making
Seminar 8 – Theo Haralampou
Stand: D6 Under banner: yellow
10:30 - Spindle turning with the gouge and the skew - Understanding the principles makes turning easy
11:30 - Spindle work - Top fun for kids - Ballerinas, UFOs, Tipee tops and more.
12:30 - Turning any size sphere with simple techniques and without guess work.
2:00 - Making elegant and practical letter openers.
3:00 - Enhance your turnings with chatter work.
4:00 - Pen making - The pitfalls and the triumphs.

http://www.eee.net.au/vipwoody/kerry.jpg KERRY NEILL NEW!

Make, play and select a didgeridoo
From start to finish, discover all you need to know about creating, playing and choosing this national icon and musical instrument. Kids will love learning about the history of the didgeridoo, while adults can learn how to circular breathe and carve out their own.
Seminar 9 – Kerry Neill
Stand F6 Under banner: red
11:30 - Introducing the didgeridoo - Introducing this great instrument and where it comes from, what timbers it’s made from and how the termites live and create this magic instrument!
1.00 - Sounds and stories - This is a good time to relax and enjoy the didgeridoo in ways you might not have heard before. Animal sounds and didge playing with some funny stories played while you sit and enjoy!
2:30 - Sounds and breathing - More complex sounds and rhythms being played, and how to keep on going with your didge! How to circular breath
4.00 - Making, playing and selecting a didge - From start to finish, all you need to make, play, Circular Breath and purchasing a great national icon!

To survive, this show needs YOU and all SA woodworkers to get behind it and make it a success.

I hope to see as many of our members and guests as possible at this show. Let the organizers know that it's your show and you really want it back again, by turning out in massive numbers.

Cheers - Neil :U

Harry72
25th June 2010, 04:34 PM
I'll be there as usual :)

Once again still have seen no advertising about other than in WW mags and here... wont get crowds if they dont know about it.
Maybe they should get on too the Adelaide magazine(comes with the Advertiser)to help promote it to the SA public.(most shows are promoted in this mag)

Tankstand
25th June 2010, 09:13 PM
Thanks for the info Neil,

I'll be there for 2 days, still not enough time to watch all of the seminars I am interested in! Let alone shopping and yakking time!

joeyjons
25th June 2010, 09:18 PM
Wouldn't miss it for the world, I'l be there! :U

Christos
25th June 2010, 11:06 PM
Just want to add that at the Sydney Show I got a chance to speak to Liz Scobie. When I mean speak almost a one on one as we were the first ones there to catch the first seminar. Very interesting aspects on what she does.

Well worth the time.

I also caught Neil sessions, just a little hard to get a seat. You needed to get there early.

ubeaut
28th June 2010, 10:54 AM
Just want to add that at the Sydney Show I got a chance to speak to Liz Scobie. When I mean speak almost a one on one as we were the first ones there to catch the first seminar. Very interesting aspects on what she does.

Well worth the time.

I also caught Neil sessions, just a little hard to get a seat. You needed to get there early.
This is a chance for all SA woodworkers not only to watch but also to talk to people in the know and maybe improve on your work or get those questions answered that have been plaguing you for years or maybe just pick a brain or two.

But you have to be there. Cheap entry available here (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f190/adelaide-t-www-show-special-entry-2010-a-119780/#post1171061)

ubeaut
29th June 2010, 11:56 AM
I'll be there as usual :)

Once again still have seen no advertising about other than in WW mags and here... wont get crowds if they dont know about it.
Maybe they should get on too the Adelaide magazine(comes with the Advertiser)to help promote it to the SA public.(most shows are promoted in this mag)G'day Harry - the following was emailed to me by Liz (EEE):

Our campaign starts first week in July. Press, radio, street banners, outdoor
signs hung all around Adelaide and a 40k TV campaign with 7, and email news
etc - hopefully all of Adelaide will know we are coming.

Looks pretty good and rather extensive to me.

Cheers - Neil

Darklord
2nd July 2010, 01:44 PM
Went to Brisbane and Sydney and both shows were excellent. The forum stand was really going off at both shows when I visited.

I will be in Adelaide for a meetings Thursday and Friday prior to the show and will try to drop in for a look in Friday arvo before heading back up to Gods Country again on Saturday.

Darky

ubeaut
16th July 2010, 04:05 PM
One week to go and this would have to be the quietest T&WWWShow thread of all time.

Where's the enthusiasm people? http://www.ubeaut.biz/woohoo.gif

If nothing else the demonstrators and entertainment alone are well worth the price of a ticket into the show. Where else in Australia (or the world for that matter) can you see 9 experts strut their stuff and personally give you help, advice, tips and their expertise for a $10 entry fee.

We leave on Tuesday to set up for the show and look forward to seeing a lot of forum members there along with many we've grown to know through the clubs association with the shows over the years. We're looking forward to the show even though we did say we probably wouldn't do the Adelaide Show again. EEE have done such a great job with the other shows that we are giving Adelaide one more shot with the hope that there's a massive turnout.

Could have a couple of surprise new products to show off also.

Cheers - Neil :U

PS Worth baring in mind (for the younger unattached or engaged woodies) the Bridal Expo is on at the same time and also at the Showgrounds so you could kill 2 birds with one stone.

Tankstand
16th July 2010, 05:19 PM
Where's the enthusiasm people? http://www.ubeaut.biz/woohoo.gif

I can't get anymore enthused Neil! I'm taking Friday off.

I have a presentation night to organise Saturday :((.

But I'll be there Sunday (Both days) at opening time!

Will look out for familiar faces, Harry etc.

Will we see Tikki? (Judy)

Harry72
16th July 2010, 08:55 PM
Looking like Friday for me

seriola
17th July 2010, 10:21 AM
Hopefully not a lack of enthusiasm, just the quiet reserved nature of the average crow eater. The show sure works for me as I will be in Canada in October and unable to make Melbourne.

It is a great opportunity for us rural folk to make major purchases with so much choice on display. My lathe and 17" bandsaw both came from w.w.w shows along with a whole range of smaller goodies.

I will go for 3 days and drag more rellies and friends along each time if It helps to get it back as a permanent fixture.

Fencepost2
19th July 2010, 07:01 PM
I will be there Saturday and Sunday. All my major equipment came from buys at previous shows. You are right Neil, that range of workshops and demonstrations all for the low price of a ticket into the show is not to be missed. Look forward to seeing and hearing about your new products.

Sir Stinkalot
19th July 2010, 07:19 PM
Could have a couple of surprise new products to show off also.

If only it was a new oil for salad bowls, butcher blocks, bread boards and wooden food implements as well as metal. :q