PDA

View Full Version : Melb mid-week Ern-turn June 30 or July 1

rsser
25th June 2010, 05:11 PM
To satisfy the poor saps who have to work weekends or who might be at a loose end:

Wed 30 June or Thurs July 1, from 11am

Poll closes Mon late.

Focus: telling lies, swapping bulldust and sharing crisp-skinned porkies etc.

I'll have some EasyWood tools that I can show and you can have a play with as well, the Rougher, Finisher and Detailer.

Sturdee
25th June 2010, 05:28 PM
Prefer Wednesday but Thursday is also acceptable.

Peter.

DJ’s Timber
25th June 2010, 08:51 PM
Geeze, not much notice.

Count me out, doing the school holidays kids stuff plus work

rsser
25th June 2010, 10:03 PM
No, not much notice. No big event either. Just a get together for those who want and can.

Just making the offer since I can but am soon about to do the annual white nomad thing.

Cliff Rogers
25th June 2010, 10:05 PM
Tempting but I'm sure I'd be shot. :think:

Grumpy John
26th June 2010, 07:02 AM
Either, or, with a slight preference to the 30th.

tea lady
26th June 2010, 09:23 AM
Geeze, not much notice.

Count me out, doing the school holidays kids stuff plus work:CMe too!

steck
26th June 2010, 10:10 AM
I can make the 1st.
I'd be very interested to have a look at the Finisher and detailer.

Grumpy John
26th June 2010, 06:31 PM
I can make the 1st.
I'd be very interested to have a look at the Finisher and detailer.

Steve, if you need a lift PM me.

letzzzgo
27th June 2010, 10:45 AM
Sounds good to me! Either day is ok

Cheers John

rsser
28th June 2010, 08:47 PM
OK, Thursday seems best so see you then, from 11am.

I'll lay in some pies for lunch.

Email me for the address at
ern
at
reeders
net

Grumpy John
28th June 2010, 09:10 PM
O.K. Ern, Thursday it is. Looks like a cozy crowd of 5 :2tsup:.

letzzzgo
29th June 2010, 02:26 PM
Ern, I have your address from previous visit.
See you Thursday.

Cheers John

steck
29th June 2010, 02:29 PM
I will see you on Thursday!
Can I bring something?

Skew ChiDAMN!!
29th June 2010, 06:18 PM
*grumble, grumble*

Hope you all have a great day! :2tsup:

rsser
30th June 2010, 04:52 PM
Dust extraction separator is on offer to the next 2 forum turn-fests:

http://www.woodworkforums.com/f231/dust-extraction-separator-donation-charity-120123/#post1173880

rsser
1st July 2010, 04:46 PM
Well an interesting day as always. Most enjoyable. Thanks to Letzzzgo and Steck for edibles and drinkables.

We did a comparo of the results of the Easy Wood Finisher and a polished scraper, on Blackwood. The polished scraper performed better by a whisker but then its test area was lower on the bowl inside so less end grain. The EW Finisher however wins in my book, for ease of use.

Pic 1, left to right: Letzzzgo, Steck and Sturdee
Pic 2, l to r: Joe, Steck and Sturdee
Pic 3, l to r: Letzzzgo, GJ and Joe

letzzzgo
1st July 2010, 05:24 PM
Ern, thanks for another enjoyable & informative day at your place. I thought the
'Easy Wood Tools' perfomed really well and were a pleasure to use.
Good to catch up with a couple of familiar faces.
Cheers John

Sturdee
1st July 2010, 05:26 PM
Thanks Ern for hosting the day and for the good tips you passed on. Great company and a great day.

Peter.

rsser
1st July 2010, 05:52 PM
Pleasure as always John and Peter.

Yes, for 'scrapers' the EWTs performed very well on plantation pine. Though as the edges wear the finish quality diminishes. Then again, they're intended for medium density woods or higher. GJ's freshly ground (80 grit) forged spindle gouge left a clearly better finish on the Radiata by way of another comparo.

I think the sales pitch of EWT of ease of use and durability of tip is justified.

Grumpy John
1st July 2010, 06:27 PM
Thanks again Ern for your hospitality. Even though it was a small turnout that gave everyone a chance to try out the various tools and discuss the pros and cons of each tool. Gourmet pies and champagne for those so inclined, a top day :2tsup:.

Calm
1st July 2010, 06:36 PM
Sorry i couldn't make it. I had intended too but was obligated to help an old couple that had done me a good turn. Of course they had to pick the only day i had something on.

Maybe next time - glad to hear it was all quality

cheers
David

rsser
1st July 2010, 06:43 PM
David, I was glad you couldn't make it; didn't have to have the roof lifted.

GJ, good to have your trained mind at these events. I always learn something from you.

Grumpy John
1st July 2010, 06:47 PM
David, I was glad you couldn't make it; didn't have to have the roof lifted.

GJ, good to have your trained mind at these events. I always learn something from you.

Ummm, did I say something intelligent this time, the meds must be kicking in :D.

steck
1st July 2010, 10:48 PM
Thanks Ern for sharing your shed and house with us. :2tsup: It is good to try out the tools and the small but "quality" attendance gave us plenty of time. I will be interested to see what these Easywood tools will cost in Oz.
Nice to put faces to a couple more Forum faces, too.:2tsup:
Thanks GJ, for the excellent navigation and the lift! (We won't mention the police car!):2tsup:

rsser
2nd July 2010, 02:04 PM
Sounds ominous!

I spoke to Grahame Waterson of Home (http://www.woodworksupplies.com.au) several weeks ago and he was about to put in an order for the EWTs. Be worth giving him a call re prices.

joevan
3rd July 2010, 12:12 PM
Hello Ern,
This was very informative and the advise given about the new tools is very much appreciated. Many thanks for lunch and refreshments.

Regards
Joevan

rsser
3rd July 2010, 07:02 PM
Pleasure Joe.

I went back to that Deodar bowl roughout today to finish it off.

Trued the inside spigot, remounted it with some hassle. Being deepish I had to hack an allen key several ways to tighten the jaws on the spigot.

Not paying enough attention to shaping the outside I got a dig and ripped the bowl out of the chuck. Sigh.

Finally, remounted, a got a line I liked. First time in yonks. There may be hope for ole pharts :rolleyes:

Will tackle the inside tomorrow. My turn to cook tonight.

Bleddy Deodar dust is ripping into the olfactories. Seems capable of corroding capillaries.