PDA

View Full Version : Buying a new saw please help

WA SCROLLER
1st October 2004, 07:38 PM
I want to buy a new scroll saw as I have started with the GMC and want to move up I want to spend around $300 it must have a quick pinless blade release and variable speed and I live in Perth so if anyone can help with a brand i would appreciate it.

regards

Darren

Dean
1st October 2004, 10:52 PM
Look at the Delta DE-40-540
$299

Variable Speed, Pinless blade with quick release.
Very solid. Only thing I can fault is that the little dust blower doesn't have enough puff unless you are at full speed.

Carbatec in WA sell it.
Check their website.

oges
2nd October 2004, 04:36 AM
Yeah I agree with Dean on that saw, good value for the money. They have it cheaper at the WWW shows but I dont think you have those there, but the other ones you do have might be the same sort of deal.
You might want to try an aquarium pump or the 'tennis ball' for more air flow from the blower

the 22" Sherwood scrollsaw at Timbecon looks good, pity they didnt make it a variable speed. It accepts both blade types. Dont know about an easy reach tensioning knob though if its at the back of a 22" saw :rolleyes:

Iain
2nd October 2004, 11:40 AM
Makita had one a couple of years ago that was competively priced, don't know if it is still around.
Was a nice unit as I recall with all the features you wanted.

echnidna
2nd October 2004, 12:36 PM
So what is the next step up from the Delta DE-40-540 ?

fxst
2nd October 2004, 04:59 PM
Bob the only next step is the Hegner in my opinion tho Im biased.
Mik Int. is the ppl to see and the saw is worth every cent and smooth as silk.
but as an owner of 1 of these marvels I tend to rabbit on about them. I suggest u look also at the dewalt as it seems to have followers :D
Some years ago I purchased a makita scrollsaw and found it to be a nice saw with little viberation and uses both pinned & pinless blades and is var speed....My lil bro snaffled it 2 weeks ago and reckons its a beauty :eek:
Pete

echnidna
2nd October 2004, 07:34 PM
Hi Pete,
Which model hegner is best suited to stack cutting veneer with internal holes or are they all good at it?

oges
3rd October 2004, 12:23 AM
I think the Dewalt is rare as hens teeth here these days. Yeah the Hegner would be the next up from the lower priced saw in australia but the P-20 is a good saw too, but maybe I am biased also.

morry
3rd October 2004, 10:03 AM
Ive just purchased a 16 " Delta variable speed saw about a week ago and have found it to be quite good. Vibration is minimal and that could be from the bench I have it bolted down to as when its run on a concrete floor it runs very smoothly. I think Dean has a review of this saw on his online tool reviews page. A few things that needed attention when the saw came out of the box ( 1 pm on Saturday,Carbatec closed already) The 5mm cap head screw for the bottom blade clamp already had the hex part for the allen key stipped out from the factory. No problem as I had some 5mm scres at home. I just had to remove the lower sheet metal guard to get a set of long nose vice grips to remove the old srew in. The two screws which held the guard on where impossibly tight and the steel soft and deformed the Philips head on one instantly. This had to be removed by using a small centre punch and tapping the screw in the direction of removal to get it off. Once all these where replaced every thing worked fine.
The saw has a great instruction manual and a really fast blade changing system which you will love if you are going to be doing a lot of internal cuts.
For about $300 you cant go wrong. Next step Delta p20 or a henger.

Iain
3rd October 2004, 10:11 AM
I once had a Proxxon (should be Pox on), bloody awful piece of crap, vvibrated like buggery, quick change unit fell into the dust extractor when the blade snapped and it was a 30 min job to dismatle and get it out.
Two speed, two fast and two slow.
Got my DW788 and never looked back. Prefer it to the Hegner who never seemed to quite get up to date.
Would love an excalibur though but at $3k a bit out of the price range.

fxst
4th October 2004, 12:04 AM
Bob its an 18' var speed and yep would do it all no probs
the quick change blade sys (without having to hold up the arm)is a winner and having seen and use other saws I stick to my orig rec and suggest u get the hegner....but not controlling the purse strings I leave the final decision to you :)
Pete

graemet
4th October 2004, 09:39 PM
Look at the Delta DE-40-540
$299

Variable Speed, Pinless blade with quick release.
Very solid. Only thing I can fault is that the little dust blower doesn't have enough puff unless you are at full speed.

Carbatec in WA sell it.
Check their website. Second (or is it third?) that.
I went to Carbatec in Sydney to look at their cheapie and was talked up into the Delta. No regrets, no problems (as yet).
Went to www.woodmagazine.com and downloaded their 'Scrollsaw Stand". Simple and works well with the Delta.
Graeme

scooter
8th October 2004, 01:22 AM
Anyone know what was the "special" price on the Delta 40-540 at the shows? (I'm looking to upgrade at some stage & this may determine when!))

Thanks & cheers.............Sean

oges
8th October 2004, 01:44 AM
was $250 at the Sydney show

scooter
8th October 2004, 07:25 PM
Thanks Brett, how's that P20 going?

Sean

arose62
8th October 2004, 07:48 PM
Oh Dear!

$Hundreds and $Thousands for a scroll saw!!

Does anyone have the heart to welcome me to this forum, as I'm now the proud owner of the $68 scroll saw as seen in the current Big-W catalogue.

More importantly, can anyone give me a justification for buying it (I mean, what do I make with it? What are the standard beginner projects?)

Cheers,
Andrew

echnidna
8th October 2004, 08:15 PM
"can anyone give me a justification for buying it (I mean, what do I make with it? What are the standard beginner projects?)"

The fact is - YOU ARE A TOOL JUNKIE, - welcome to the club.
... you don't have to justify anything to your fellow addicts.

scooter
8th October 2004, 11:38 PM
Gday Andrew, welcome to you and your saw!

Do a search for scrollsaw patterns or similar & you'll get some ideas.

Give you a tip, make something nice for the bride first, the brownie points will be invaluable when justifying this woodwork obsession or seeking forgiveness in future for more extravagent purchases :p .

Try the standard blades that come with the saw, then you might consider buying some proper blades (and possibly pinless blade adaptors to mount them to your machine). The stock blades will be pretty coarse and will limit what you can do, the difference between them and better blades (such as the flying dutchman blades available from Neil Schultz, Owen & Helen Harris, or mikesworkshop.com) is like night & day.

Check out the archives for a lot of useful info.

Regards & cheers.............Sean

oges
9th October 2004, 02:17 PM
Thanks Brett, how's that P20 going?

Going very very well thankyou :D

Does anyone have the heart to welcome me to this forum, as I'm now the proud owner of the $68 scroll saw as seen in the current Big-W catalogue.

Welcome to another area of wood working. If you want details of the Central Coast Scrollers let me know, we meet every second Saturday of the month at the Kariong club house. We come under the Central Coast Wood Turners group. We can help you out with learning a bit about scrolling