PDA

View Full Version : current project

burraboy
29th June 2010, 12:34 PM
Here's the tail end of what I'm working on at the moment.
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk103/synwhistles/fifes.jpg

I was asked for some fifes in a variety of keys and have been playing with bore dimensions to look at what differences in playability there may be as a result. The fifes pictured are in C and D, the C has a 19mm bore and the two D's have 19mm and 14.5 mm bores. I have done a range for each key, 13, 14.5 and 19mm and these are the last of them, about to be sent off for appraisal by the new owner.
The timber is lancewood by the way, it tends to split a bit when drilled but when I have sorted the dimensions out I will make up some jigs and will mill the holes rather than drill them.

Sebastiaan56
30th June 2010, 09:10 AM
They certainly look stylish Erle. I was very impressed by the instrument you brought to the show although I didnt spend long with it. A very distracted day!

Do you have an adjustable cork in these fifes? Any comments on the different bores for the D's?

burraboy
2nd July 2010, 07:44 AM
Hi Sebastian, yes, a good day at the show, but not enough time and too many distractions!
I don't use cork any more on the tenons, I find waxed dental floss provides a great seal and is easy to use.
I have my own opinions on the different bores. (By the way, 19mm should read 16mm in all cases) I find the bigger bores speak more easily but the range suffers. I have sent these fifes out to some players with more frequently used embouchures than my own and look forward to their opinions.

Sebastiaan56
2nd July 2010, 12:34 PM
Sorry mate I meant at the embouchure end of the bore, and yes 16mm sounds better for a high d to me as well. Have you thought of a Sanders Spike for the upper registers? Your whistle sounded well enough up there.

burraboy
2nd July 2010, 03:51 PM
No Sebastiaan, my mistake, one should put one's brain into gear before engaging response mechanisms.
The cork is only adjustable in the sense that you can put a stick up there and push it either way. I've read about those spikes but I don't know that they would make much difference in these little beggars. Anyway, 'keep it simple' is my motto! (Today anyway.)